By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Fans Have Spoken, Last Jedi Drops A Massive 68%

Just to reach 1000
Keep the discussion moving on

Around the Network

I hope that whenever that 2020 spin-off comes out they'll sit on the series until at least 2024.

I knew this would beel money, aprox $400m less but experts are now saying TLJ could gross $700m less than TFA. Shocking. Anybody disagreeing with the headline is in denial.

Disney should be worried about Solo. Its definitely not going to hit a billion. 

foodfather said:

I knew this would beel money, aprox $400m less but experts are now saying TLJ could gross $700m less than TFA. Shocking. Anybody disagreeing with the headline is in denial.

Disney should be worried about Solo. Its definitely not going to hit a billion. 

There's already rumors that Disney expects Solo to be a flop. The fact that they still haven't released a trailer for it is a bad sign imo.

After TFA, this movie certainly had high expectations. The target is always to beat the previous film. Worst case expectation was probably a 15% max decline.
Just because there are patterns in other film franchises doesn't mean it's always a given for every franchise. Avengers AoU didn't make more than the first because the movie wasn't received as well or better than the first. Same case for TLJ.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
Mr.GameCrazy said: 

There's already rumors that Disney expects Solo to be a flop. The fact that they still haven't released a trailer for it is a bad sign imo.

I don't think the lack of a trailer means any more than that they want to keep focus on The Last Jedi.  They wouldn't sabotage the movie even if they had less faith in it.

As for being in denial, the better explanation is that some of just know how the business works.

That's understandable, but it would be great if they released a trailer sometime this month.

NightlyPoe said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:

That's understandable, but it would be great if they released a trailer sometime this month.

I'm still somewhat surprised that it's set to make its original date given that halfway through production it was so bad they fired the directors and brought in Ron Howard for a salvage job.  But, whatever.

But I'm sure they'll start the hype train soon.  The Last Jedi is going to be largely spent by Tuesday next week.

Same. I thought it would be delayed to December like Episode IX was.

Weekend estimates are in. TLJ fell 55.2%, making ~$23.6M. This brings the DBO total to ~$572.5M. For the same time, TFA was at ~$812.7M, a difference of $240.2M, or 29.6% down. FBO now sits at $632.7M. TFA, at this point, was at $921.4M, a difference of $288.7M , or 31.3% down. WW total now sits at ~$1.21M, a difference of ~$528.9M, or 30.5% down.

The amount that TLJ has been outpacing RO, after launch weekend, has fallen from 9% to 8.6%. From this point on, RO made ~$54.8M. If the 8.6% holds up, then TLJ will make ~$60M. This would bring it final DBO take to ~$632.5M. Taking into account the current 52.5% that FBO represents, than its WW total should be ~$1.33B. This would be a fall of ~$740M, or ~36% down. 

We'll have to see how well it holds up against RO in the coming weeks. It seems the trend is the lowering of the gap between the two.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 07 January 2018

Over 100 pages. Good Lord.

At this point, I think the real fan reaction to #8 will be seen in merch sales, and more obviously with the next two Star Wars movies, specifically #9. I would say I hope the review-proof "gotta see it for myself ASAP to avoid spoilers" nature of the series has finally been broken...but considering critical reception to TLJ was basically "It broke new ground! I clapped when I saw Luke Skywalker! Thanks Disney!" I dunno if that even matters these days.

arcaneguyver said:
Over 100 pages. Good Lord.

At this point, I think the real fan reaction to #8 will be seen in merch sales, and more obviously with the next two Star Wars movies, specifically #9. I would say I hope the review-proof "gotta see it for myself ASAP to avoid spoilers" nature of the series has finally been broken...but considering critical reception to TLJ was basically "It broke new ground! I clapped when I saw Luke Skywalker! Thanks Disney!" I dunno if that even matters these days.

Only 41 pages for me.

I think fans are going to be extremely wary of Ep 9.  I wouldn't be surprised if it opens closer to RO than TFA/TLJ. And if it's another poor imitation of a Marvel flick, I think it'll end closer to RO, as well. And if Disney still gives Rian Johnson his own trilogy after that, they are complete idiots.