By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Fans Have Spoken, Last Jedi Drops A Massive 68%

arcaneguyver said:
Over 100 pages. Good Lord.

At this point, I think the real fan reaction to #8 will be seen in merch sales, and more obviously with the next two Star Wars movies, specifically #9. I would say I hope the review-proof "gotta see it for myself ASAP to avoid spoilers" nature of the series has finally been broken...but considering critical reception to TLJ was basically "It broke new ground! I clapped when I saw Luke Skywalker! Thanks Disney!" I dunno if that even matters these days.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

The fact that it gets this heavily debated shows it's one of the most important entries in the series.

Episode IX will be up from TLJ.

It'll do 1.5-2 billion WW.

It'll have JJ Abrams and be a happier, less controversial flick with more fun character interaction and a safer, simple plot. No big risks.

General public will eat it up. Then you will have a vocal minority on message boards saying Disney have no balls for making a safe film and Last Jedi took risks and fuck JJ and I'll never see a Star Wars movie again (except they will). 

Star Wars fans always say they're not seeing the next one ... and then show up on opening weekend the next time. If Jar Jar couldn't kill the franchise, if Mannequin Skywalker in Attack of the Bad Love Story couldn't do it, nothing will. Those things were aggressively bad. AOTC got punked too it wasn't even the biggest movie of the year, totally overwhelmed by Spider-Man mania that year, but Star Wars came back from that. 

The fact that this topic is over 100 pages proves it too. No one would give a fart if the next Jurassic Park isn't their thing, that's a 5 page thread here. 

I think Rian Johnson will get to do at least one more Star Wars movie that'll be wholly original and his, and if it does well, then then they'll do two more of those. I think he will do well with his own characters and not being tied to anything else, the common problem with TLJ that most people who don't like it seem to have is they didn't like the answers they got to mysteries from TFA/OT. Well his own film is not going to have that burden, he gets a clean slate with his own characters from scratch, I think he'll do a solid job given that to work with. A lot of the issues with TLJ go out the window if you're not slavishly expecting certain plot points that have to be hit/answered in just such a way, and with a new trilogy that's not an issue. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 09 January 2018

I finally saw it with the wife and kids.

It is by far the worst Star Wars film released.

I enjoyed Rogue One, but TFA and TLJ are terrible films.

I give it a rating of 3 out 10.

Technarchy said:

I finally saw it with the wife and kids.

It is by far the worst Star Wars film released.

I enjoyed Rogue One, but TFA and TLJ are terrible films.

I give it a rating of 3 out 10.

Around the Network

I didn't like The Last Jedi. It's probably my least favorite Star Wars movie. But even I have to admit, downvoting it on review aggregator websites is probably just a meme at this point.

Its approval rate dropped at 49%

The disney fanboy who deleted the thread can't hide the truth.

Lucas-Rio said:
Its approval rate dropped at 49%

The disney fanboy who deleted the thread can't hide the truth.

CGI-Quality didn't lock it because they wanted to hide to truth. It was because it was kinda unnecessary when there's already a "The Fans Have Spoken" SW thread.

This is the same thing that happened with Breath of the Wild. Bunch of losers voting it 0/10 with their review being, "I can't believe people like this! There's no way it should be rated highly!"

The critic reviews don't do a great job of reflecting the general sentiment around the movie, but the user reviews do an even worse job, probably.

There's no fucking way Attack of the Clones isn't the worst Star Wars movie.

That thing was a steaming pile of shit. Even the title of the movie is fucking stupid.

It's also by far the lowest grossing live action Star Wars film, even less than Rogue One. 

The Last Jedi has also passed Revenge of the Sith (the "best" prequel) in inflation adjusted gross quite easily. Only reason Phantom Menace made what it did was because it was the most hyped movie of all time, everyone was obligated to basically see it once minimum. 

Inflation adjusted I get

The Phantom Menace - $1.368 billion

The Last Jedi - $1.215 billion and counting

Revenge of the Sith - $1.07 billion

Star Wars Rogue One - $1.05 billion

Attack of The Clones - $889 million

TLJ will probably hit $1.3 billion, considerably more than the two prequel films about on par with TPM which had unprecedented hype. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 09 January 2018