By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Fans Have Spoken, Last Jedi Drops A Massive 68%

mZuzek said:
Simpleton said:

The prequels got lots of backlash and TFA ended up with 2 billion dollars.

Star Wars fans always flock to the next movie when that shiny, exciting trailer pops up.

This has to be one of the worst arguments I've ever seen on VGC, period.

I thought about replying thoughtfully, but it's clearly not worth the effort.

Really?

I'd suggest watching RLM's video. At the very end of the video. Around 38:00

If you show a movie with promise, people will watch it. Even after 3 bad ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9hwGZFPSmw

People have been saying Star Wars is dead for about 20 years now.

Around the Network
Simpleton said:
KLAMarine said:

There's been considerable backlash against TLJ and one has to wonder if not for the backlash, how much higher might the box office sales have been?

Sure the film could be a success and have made back its production and marketing costs but could the backlash affect Episode 9's performance and the performance of spin-offs? How about merchandise sales?

Has the Star Wars brand been hurt by the backlash?

Even if all endeavors are profitable, this doesn't mean all is well. It's not every year a mainline SW film is released. I highly doubt Disney's gonna try to do-over episode 8's production and release in hopes of reducing backlash, raising the amount of tickets sold, and generating excitement for the coming sequel. Pissed off viewers are less likely to consume other and future SW content. Pissed viewers are less likely to watch the film again.

You don't get a second chance at a first impression. Opportunity is there to be seized but if it isn't seized, it's lost.

And is TLJ on track to end up with 2 billion?

Simpleton said:

Star Wars fans always flock to the next movie when that shiny, exciting trailer pops up.

Not always in as high numbers as possible: Clone Wars disappointed at the box office last I checked.

Vincoletto said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:

I disagree, but I respect your opinion.

You, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Praise democracy and free speech  

It's a shame not everyone respects other people's opinions over it.

mZuzek said:
Simpleton said:

If you show a movie with promise, people will watch it. Even after 3 bad ones.

People have been saying Star Wars is dead for about 20 years now.

I don't know who these people are but they must be really stupid. Star Wars isn't dying anytime soon if ever, even if they do 12 crappy movies in a row it'll still have an audience.

I'm just saying your point about TFA making $2b despite the prequels' backlash was total nonsense, because it really was. I mean, it's not like it came 10 years after the end of the prequels, and had a new direction, and new owners with different ideas, and promised to appeal to exactly the Star Wars fans who hated the prequels, and all that stuff... right? I mean come on, you need to put these things in perspective. The Force Awakens is as closely associated with the prequels as, I don't know, Guardians of the Galaxy is to Iron Man (okay maybe not that much but you get the point). They're part of the same franchise, sure, and they even follow the same timeline and are telling a continuous story of sorts, but they're completely unrelated in mostly everything else.

It's not that people suddenly became interested in TFA just because a shiny trailer popped up (and holy god is that trailer something), they were always gonna watch it anyway. I mean of course you make a trailer as awesome as that it's bound to get more people interested, but it's not like people watched that and suddenly stopped drawing parallels to the prequels - because they never drew parallels to the prequels at all.

That's exactly what I meant. if the new movie looks promising people will see it. Even if they hated the last one. I didn't want to quote the RLM vid verbatim so sorry if my word choice was poor.

KLAMarine said:
Simpleton said:

Simpleton said:

Not always in as high numbers as possible: Clone Wars disappointed at the box office last I checked.

2nd installments in Star Wars trilogies never make as much as the first. The drop-off for TLJ in comparison to TFA isn't any more drastic than Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones in comparison to their predecessors. 

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Simpleton said:

That's exactly what I meant. if the new movie looks promising people will see it. Even if they hated the last one. I didn't want to quote the RLM vid verbatim so sorry if my word choice was poor.

Yeah but this is a different situation, because Episode IX is still a direct continuation of The Last Jedi's story and it has the same producers and the same characters and stuff. It will have a different director, and might look promising when it comes, but it is deeply connected to TFA and TLJ in a way TFA never was to the prequels. Also it comes out in only 2 years (or is it 1 and a half year?).

Two years. It was delayed from May 24 to December 20, 2019.

mZuzek said:
Simpleton said:

Yeah but this is a different situation, because Episode IX is still a direct continuation of The Last Jedi's story and it has the same producers and the same characters and stuff. It will have a different director, and might look promising when it comes, but it is deeply connected to TFA and TLJ in a way TFA never was to the prequels. Also it comes out in only 2 years (or is it 1 and a half year?).

Revenge of the Sith was connected to the prequels though and managed to come closer to Phantom Menace's numbers than Attack of the Clone's numbers despite coming off of 2 controversial movies.

Star Wars pattern is the first of the trilogy does the biggest box office, the second one does the least, and the third one is somewhere in between the 1st and 2nd.

It's likely this trilogy will probably follow the same pattern. If the criticism is Rian Johnson alienated some people, well that's already taken care of for IX with JJ Abrams coming back.

Star Wars survived the prequels, it can survive some blue milk, Snoke biting it early, and Rey Nobody (which I actually do like).

I mean there's been what ... 12 Star Trek movies? And like maybe 5 of those are actually good? 9 Fast & Furious movies and probably on 2-3 of those are actually good?

For Star Wars I'd say A New Hope + Empire occupy the "great" categorey, Jedi/Revenge/Force Awakens are in the "good to decent" category , Phantom Menace and Clones in the bad to terrible categorey.

Last Jedi is in the "good to decent" category IF you are willing to accept some surprising turns in the story. If you're a really hardcore fan some things may upset you. It is otherwise a solidly made/acted/shot film.

Simpleton said:
KLAMarine said:

2nd installments in Star Wars trilogies never make as much as the first. The drop-off for TLJ in comparison to TFA isn't any more drastic than Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones in comparison to their predecessors

Have we the math for this?

IX will be a safer more optimistic film done by JJ Abrams.

I think the end grosses of this trilogy will be like

2 billion - Force Awakens

1.5-1.6 billion - Episode IX

1.2 billion - Last Jedi

That follows a similar pattern for both the OT and PT. 1st > 3rd > 2nd in what both the OT and ST did.