By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Fans Have Spoken, Last Jedi Drops A Massive 68%

thismeintiel said:
d21lewis said:

But Poe was like "He's buying us time so we can escape. How did he get in here? There must be another way out!"

If Luke didn't know there was another way out, what was his plan? To mess with Kylo one last time before he died?

I think the obvious answer is yes. Luke is a dick. That explains the dice. Either he crushes Leia if she keeps them, or he fucks with Kylo when he picks them up. 

That actually made me laugh out loud!

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I enjoyed seeing Mark Hamill back in action since he was my childhood hero but couldn't he have just "Force Skyped" Leia and said "There's an exit in the back of the cave."

He'd still be alive to help the surviving rebels fight. I mean he died to buy them time but rather than buy time he could have just gotten them out of the cave quicker. Maybe Super Leia could have moved those rocks since Rey was taking her sweet ass time (I mean she has the fastest ship in the Galaxy and she left when Kylo was still taking a nap...)

Yes. On top of that, if he was disconnected with the force to the point that MaRey Sue can't feel him unlike the entire isle, how could he connect to easily to do a powerful force technique like that projection?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Farsala said:
Honestly the more I read this thread the less I like TLJ. A lot of points being brought up that I didn't even consider before that just seems BS now. And I used to like the PM well enough but I suppose I had selective memory by forgetting that Anakin was even in the film dominantly, I tend to ignore characters like that.

On a similar note, https://imgur.com/gallery/3KkXXme

Funny that Hermione written by a woman was a strong but flawed character, IE a relatable and good character, but when Hollywood takes over they force her to be a Mary Sue.

Hollywood is bad confirmed.

I hear Wonder Woman was good and also directed by a woman.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

With all the negative comments on this movie and yet the movie has made about 1 billion dollars in total so far.
Not saying you're right or wrong cause I haven't even seen this movie yet but I'm saying that if the movie is really that bad, giving a billion dollars to Disney for it is not the best way to express your disapproval of the movie.

Disney is a corporation and like any other corporation they don't speak English or French, they only understand "money" so when they see a billion dollars (and counting) going their way they must be like: Holy shit, the masses love this so let's keep doing the same over and over again. The very dull "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise is the best proof of this.

Last edited by CrazyGamer2017 - on 31 December 2017

CrazyGamer2017 said:
With all the negative comments on this movie and yet the movie has made about 1 billion dollars in total so far.
Not saying you're right or wrong cause I haven't even seen this movie yet but I'm saying that if the movie is really that bad, giving a billion dollars to Disney for it is not the best way to express your disapproval of the movie.

You might want to stay away from this thread right now. There are some spoilers in there.

Around the Network

I liked it. Plan to buy the Blu-ray version when it comes out. I was 5 years old when episode 4 originally came out.

thismeintiel said:
d21lewis said:
I enjoyed seeing Mark Hamill back in action since he was my childhood hero but couldn't he have just "Force Skyped" Leia and said "There's an exit in the back of the cave."

He'd still be alive to help the surviving rebels fight. I mean he died to buy them time but rather than buy time he could have just gotten them out of the cave quicker. Maybe Super Leia could have moved those rocks since Rey was taking her sweet ass time (I mean she has the fastest ship in the Galaxy and she left when Kylo was still taking a nap...)

Yea. If Rey can use it however the script needs her to, Leia should be able to as well. We know it's canon now that only men need to train. I am disappoint Rian.  

So this is what we've come to.

d21lewis said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Leia only used the force in a subtle way when she was in a critical situation, it doens't mean she is able to use it like she wants whenever she wants and there is no reason why Luke should know where the exit of the cave is.

But Poe was like "He's buying us time so we can escape. How did he get in here? There must be another way out!"

If Luke didn't know there was another way out, what was his plan? To mess with Kylo one last time before he died?

He might not have know the way out, but wanted to buy the others time so they could figure something out? There are many answers. Obviously he was a bit cryptic, so as not to spoil the reveal for the viewer either, but surely when watching a movie about space knights fighting with laser swords, your suspension of disbelief has to allow some logical flaws.

Pavolink said:
d21lewis said:

Yes. On top of that, if he was disconnected with the force to the point that MaRey Sue can't feel him unlike the entire isle, how could he connect to easily to do a powerful force technique like that projection?

Perhaps because he opened himself up to the force? Lol. I felt like that was pretty obvious.

Pavolink said:
Farsala said:
Honestly the more I read this thread the less I like TLJ. A lot of points being brought up that I didn't even consider before that just seems BS now. And I used to like the PM well enough but I suppose I had selective memory by forgetting that Anakin was even in the film dominantly, I tend to ignore characters like that.

On a similar note, https://imgur.com/gallery/3KkXXme

Funny that Hermione written by a woman was a strong but flawed character, IE a relatable and good character, but when Hollywood takes over they force her to be a Mary Sue.

Hollywood is bad confirmed.

I hear Wonder Woman was good and also directed by a woman.

Hollywood does fuck up a lot, but it's important to understand why. There's an old adage in writing of "write what you know." The problem in Hollywood is you got a bunch of people writing stuff they don't know, or even when you do have someone writing stuff they know, it goes through a committee off people trying to make sure their product checks all the right boxed they wanna tick, and they're the ones who simply don't know this stuff.

Wonder Woman was a good movie, and it was so, precisely because a woman actually helped to shape it.

Look at the portrayal of women in The Last Jedi. For all the people complaining about how this movie is pushing a feminist agenda, it's really not. Maybe that's what somebody on the project was going for, idk, but if they were, they did a HORRIBLE job. All the women in this movie, despite holding positions of power, are shown to be incredibly incompetent. From Leia, to Holdo, to Rose.....Rey is the only exception, in that she's not shown to be incompetent, but at the same time, she accomplishes nothing she sets out to do in this entire movie. And then you have Phasma, who is supposed to be badass but continues to be just a complete throw away.

This new Star Wars isn't feminist. If anything it's nihilistic in nature, proclaiming pretty much at every turn that nothing matters. This goes right down to the way it contradicts it's own themes, like self sacrifice, which is shown to be good one minute, and rejected the next. Nothing matters. It wants everything both ways, whenever it fucking suits it, and rejects the notion that there's any reason it shouldn't be able to do this.

Angelus said: 

This new Star Wars isn't feminist. If anything it's nihilistic in nature, proclaiming pretty much at every turn that nothing matters. This goes right down to the way it contradicts it's own themes, like self sacrifice, which is shown to be good one minute, and rejected the next. Nothing matters. It wants everything both ways, whenever it fucking suits it, and rejects the notion that there's any reason it shouldn't be able to do this.

To be fair, they did spend the first two movies killing and neutering all of the important men.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
Angelus said: 

To be fair, they did spend the first two movies killing and neutering all of the important men.

By "all the important men," I assume you mean Han and Luke mostly yes? Harrison Ford demanded to be killed off as a condition just for him to come back for a movie. Luke is someone that Rian Johnson sees as a relic to be killed off, so the new cast can take their "rightful" place as the heroes in the story. If it were up to him he probably would have left Leia dead too, but Disney was likely worried that killing two of the main heroes from the old trilogy would be too much and told him to save one for later.

And as for neutering....ya sure, but it's not like the women are making out any better. Leia? Despite her years of experience, she's a garbage general. Holdo? Withholds vital information which puts her whole crew at risk, and basically single handedly allows the whole BS plot to happen. Rose? For all she knows she dooms the entire remains of the resistance until Luke conveniently shows up. Phasma? Literally only there to remind people Disney is selling a comic story of her. I mean seriously...they are all shown to be completely useless.

Now, is there somebody at Disney who is telling the people at Lucasfilm to put more "girl power" in their movies? Probably. I'm sure they think it's a great way of advertising to different audiences, and expanding the fanbase. Even so however, it's not like there would be anything wrong with more great female characters if that's what resulted from this mandate, but that's not the case. If that has been their goal, it has been horribly executed, because all the women come off as incompetent losers, who are bad at their job. And for all the issues with Rey, the only non incompetent female of the bunch, there is absolutely nothing inherently female about her character. You could replace her with a guy and NOTHING about her character would change even one bit. She's completely interchangeable, so the fact that her character is female really isn't important to anyone but those who wanna talk themselves into it being important.

Last edited by Angelus - on 31 December 2017