By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Fans Have Spoken, Last Jedi Drops A Massive 68%

mZuzek said:
Angelus said:

Luke came here to be left alone and die. He didn't wanna be found.

I didn't even mind this development but the problem was the outcome. Humanizing Luke and showing his weaker self was an interesting idea, the issue comes when it has absolutely no pay-off and he just dies without doing anything meaningful.

Well, the setup was poor, too. Rian completely ignored the map, the freaking thing that got TFA's plot moving and remained a big plot point throughout. He even says something along the lines of "How did you find me?" to Rey.

And in the end, it's stupid for Luke to hate the Jedi because he, himself, fucked up. He should have gone there for one thing, but found out something there that rattled his belief. Instead, he went there and started hating the Jedi for the same reason, he fucked up. 

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Soundwave said:

He does redeem himself basically by the end. I guess what difference does it really make if he physically shows up, Kylo has to kill him physically which is just is a retread of Han Solo dying at the end of VII.

Basically the same difference it makes if you talk to your friends in real life or just stay at home and message them when they want you around. I mean come on, there's absolutely no impact to his death if he couldn't let go from the place he had been on for 3 decades, if he couldn't stand up to take his ship back and meet his friends in person again and stuff. It just comes across as a moment of even more failure if the most effort he could possibly muster after everything he's been through is to show up through Skype (and die anyway).

I like that he chooses to die/become one with the Force instead of doing the predictable thing of having him being killed physically. We already got that in the last film. 

thismeintiel said:
mZuzek said:

I didn't even mind this development but the problem was the outcome. Humanizing Luke and showing his weaker self was an interesting idea, the issue comes when it has absolutely no pay-off and he just dies without doing anything meaningful.

Well, the setup was poor, too. Rian completely ignored the map, the freaking thing that got TFA's plot moving and remained a big plot point throughout. He even says something along the lines of "How did you find me?" to Rey.

And in the end, it's stupid for Luke to hate the Jedi because he, himself, fucked up. He should have gone there for one thing, but found out something there that rattled his belief. Instead, he went there and started hating the Jedi for the same reason, he fucked up. 

Actually that part does make sense. 

The Jedi were betrayed and killed off. 

Luke starts a new Jedi order and same exact thing happens again. 

This is all set up by TFA. 

It makes sense actually that Luke might think the Jedi ways are bullshit. 

mZuzek said:
thismeintiel said:

Hey, I really liked that movie, too. Of course, that's the type of movie I expect from a Marvel film. A fun ride with good humor. The story also feels very important within its own universe. And going by user ratings and increase in BO takes, it seems a lot of people liked it, too. 

It's a shame Disney tried, and failed, to make TLJ GOTG Vol 3.

Nice to see some love for it for a change. For all I care the Guardians of the Galaxy is the true new Star Wars trilogy, it truly recaptures that essence of a fun spectacle with lovable characters and banter and all that stuff (while still being quite unique on its own, you wouldn't want it to be a rip-off). The Star Wars sequels are just sad wannabes.

Except "the fans have spoken" and going by box office the new Star Wars movies make way more money than the Guardians films. 

mZuzek said:
Soundwave said:

I like that he chooses to die/become one with the Force instead of doing the predictable thing of having him being killed physically. We already got that in the last film. 

Personally I wouldn't even have him killed here, actually. If I could pick someone to die it'd be Leia because then we wouldn't have to go through CGI Carrie Fisher, but then again Disney had probably already decided on the story way earlier and they wouldn't dare change something about it "just" because a real person died, as if that had any meaning.

His character is problematic, the longer he is alive, the more of a lame duck your new hero (Rey) is. I mean by the end of this film she has what to do? Lift some rocks? That's because Luke Skywalker basically takes over the second half of the movie. 

Next movie starts with Leia's funeral, pretty much think that's going to happen for sure. They're not going to CGI Carrie Fisher. 

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Soundwave said:

Actually that part does make sense. 

The Jedi were betrayed and killed off. 

Luke starts a new Jedi order and same exact thing happens again. 

This is all set up by TFA. 

It makes sense actually that Luke might think the Jedi ways are bullshit. 

And why did he make a map again?

None of it makes much sense. 

There should be no First Order in the first place. Luke is the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy and the WON in Return of the Jedi. This trilogy doesn't need to exist period. 

Soundwave said:
Angelus said:

The outcome, and the set up of it equally. Yes, it could have been interesting, if it was something along the lines of "ya. originally I came here to do so and such, so I left a map, but then eventually I realised it was all pointless/for naught/yadayadayada, so now I just wanna be left alone and die in piece." Transitioning to a character arc of redemption or return to glory or whatever. That's not what we got though

He does redeem himself basically by the end. I guess what difference does it really make if he physically shows up, Kylo has to kill him physically which is just is a retread of Han Solo dying at the end of VII.

Generally speaking, having the OT characters in another trilogy was a mistake to begin with. Should've just passed on that, or killed all of them in VII to make room for an actual new story to be told. 

Ya, I'm not as adverse to the way he died as a lot of others are. I thought the force apparition, capable of interacting with the physical world, from across the galaxy was a cool way to show just how powerful Luke had become, and it's believable that such an act would be exhausting to the point that it would wear his tired old body down. It allows him to die with some sense of dignity, rather than actually having to be physically bested by Kylo, or just straight letting himself get cut down like Obi Wan did with Vader. The only reason I'm actually a bit sour on it is that we didn't get a single lightsaber duel in the whole movie, and that's such a huge part of Star Wars. It was so frustrating waiting the entire movie for some damn lightsabers to clash, and then Luke comes out and looks like he's in boss mode, and it just still never happens, and then it's over. Would it have killed him (faster) to just make his lightsaber as real as the dice he gave Leia, and fight for a bit?

Angelus said:
Soundwave said:

Generally speaking, having the OT characters in another trilogy was a mistake to begin with. Should've just passed on that, or killed all of them in VII to make room for an actual new story to be told. 

Ya, I'm not as adverse to the way he died as a lot of others are. I thought the force apparition, capable of interacting with the physical world, from across the galaxy was a cool way to show just how powerful Luke had become, and it's believable that such an act would be exhausting to the point that it would wear his tired old body down. It allows him to die with some sense of dignity, rather than actually having to be physically bested by Kylo, or just straight letting himself get cut down like Obi Wan did with Vader. The only reason I'm actually a bit sour on it is that we didn't get a single lightsaber duel in the whole movie, and that's such a huge part of Star Wars. It was so frustrating waiting the entire movie for some damn lightsabers to clash, and then Luke comes out and looks like he's in boss mode, and it just still never happens, and then it's over. Would it have killed him (faster) to just make his lightsaber as real as the dice he gave Leia, and fight for a bit?

The Throne Room fight was bad ass, I didn't mind no obligatory light saber battle in this one. The last few movies and the prequels in particular have way too much lightsaber jerking off. 

Soundwave said:
Angelus said:

The Throne Room fight was bad ass, I didn't mind no obligatory light saber battle in this one. The last few movies and the prequels in particular have way too much lightsaber jerking off. 

Well I grew up with the prequel trilogy, and I love lightsaber fights so......ya. Killing lackeys, even if they did make it look very cool - and generally speaking, I think the whole movie is just beautifully directed, it's the script I take issue with - just doesn't quite scratch my itch. I'm biased that way.

Yeah, what a ignorant title. The fans have spoken and in 21 days it is the biggest movie of 2017.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e