By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Fans Have Spoken, Last Jedi Drops A Massive 68%

So Rey is the Kal-El of Star Wars it seems and the movie got more potholes than the entire MCU. Yeah I am going to skip this movie.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
Puppyroach said:

Regardless of the other points, what does her gender have to do with anything? Why is there such an issue with having a female hero in a movie like Star Wars? It kind of reminds me of people being upset about having a female Doctor Who :).

1. Rey has not lived a protected life and had to struggle all through her upbringing. This gives her another set of abilities than Luke, for better and for worse. In what way does the movie claim she is better because she is a female?

6. Rey is likely very capable at that type of fighting, she has her staff and knows how do be effective in combat. How does the movie portray him as bad because he is a male? Is captain Phasmas only disadvantage that she is a woman aswell?

So thats it, cant fight the list of points so single out the ones that you can spin to call out sexism for?

The entire point of that post was to differentiate why luke is not a marty and she is a mary.  If she was cast as a man then we would be saying is a gary stu. nothing would have changed so gender has nothing to do with it.

This is ghost busters 2016 all over again. No argument can be made against a horrible movie cuz women are the main characters.

I have no issue at all arguing the other points, but you made those two points specifically pointing to her gender which is just... bizzarre. I wasn´t the one who brought her gender into the equation, you did that in two points. I agree with you that Ghostbusters was a bad movie, but you must agree that it is one thing two argue that it is a bad movie because women are in it and another thing to argue it is a bad movie and women happen to be in it?

Puppyroach said:
eva01beserk said:

So thats it, cant fight the list of points so single out the ones that you can spin to call out sexism for?

The entire point of that post was to differentiate why luke is not a marty and she is a mary.  If she was cast as a man then we would be saying is a gary stu. nothing would have changed so gender has nothing to do with it.

This is ghost busters 2016 all over again. No argument can be made against a horrible movie cuz women are the main characters.

I have no issue at all arguing the other points, but you made those two points specifically pointing to her gender which is just... bizzarre. I wasn´t the one who brought her gender into the equation, you did that in two points. I agree with you that Ghostbusters was a bad movie, but you must agree that it is one thing two argue that it is a bad movie because women are in it and another thing to argue it is a bad movie and women happen to be in it?

First of is that I was not the one who made the post.

Read the post again, it says thouse points that hit regardles of gender. From what he said the gender part is no more than a thought of why is was done by the director. Just stating horrible character flaws and then why it might have been done. Again, something that if it wa a male lead they would still be problematic. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Puppyroach said:

Read the post again, it says thouse points that hit regardles of gender. From what he said the gender part is no more than a thought of why is was done by the director. Just stating horrible character flaws and then why it might have been done. Again, something that if it wa a male lead they would still be problematic. 

Yes, my mistake regarding who made those points. But I was questioning what the purpose was of those points. In what way does the movie portray that Rey got her gifts because she was a woman (point 1) and in what way did the movie portray Kylo as weaker compared to Rey because he was a man (point 6)?

Pavolink said:
I saw the infamous Leia scene.
L
O
L

Worst part is that, somehow, people still defend this scene and think it is ok...

Leia should have died there, knowing what happened to carrie fisher. Just floating into the space towards the galaxy, would be a nice and respectful ending for her.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Azuren said:

Gonna stop you right there:

1. Luke's one gift in life was his pilot skills, which was attained through practice, not by virtue of being a female Protagonist.

2. Luke lived a normal Tatooine life; Rey "struggled" and is therefore more interesting by default.

3. Luke got fucked by Jawas and nearly got fucked in the cantina; Rey kicked the shit out of a group of armed individuals.

4. Luke was roughly on Han's level of skill when manning the guns in the MF; Rey is a goddess with all forms of technology even though that's not how the force works.

5. Luke had to struggle and concentrate to use force pull in the Wampa cave; Rey accidentally used force pull to much greater effectiveness with no effort from a further distance.

6. Luke not only lost his first lightsaber duel, but lost a damn hand in the process and nearly died; Rey humiliated Kylo, whose only disadvantage seemed to be because he was male.

7. Luke never pulled off any high level force techniques until he'd trained for 3 years; Rey accidentally did the mind trick on the second try.

8. Luke's skill with a blaster could be explained by his proficiency for gunning things down in his ship on Tatooine; Rey instinctively got a kill shot the second time she ever fired a blaster and proceeded to get an insane kill:shot ratio.

9. Luke struggled and failed to lift an X-wing, and barely managed to lift three rocks while balancing; Rey lifted rocks like it ain't no thang and does zero effort.

The fact is Luke had clear parameters on what kind of person he was in IV, which gradually expanded over the course of V and VI, with RotJ showing him as a Jedi after training for a number of years. Rey has been doing things that Final Form Luke had trouble pulling off (his mind trick didn't work every time, whereas Rey has a perfect success rate). Rey is the single worst character in all of Star Wars, and the only ones who disagree seem to be disillusioned about there NEEDING to be a perfect female Jedi as the protagonist.

Sorry, but super-flawed Jedi Finn sounds like a much better choice. His journey to become a Jedi would be so much more interesting to watch.

Goddam, I love this post.

Love this post too. Luke needed 3 movies to become a full powerful Jedi. He was actually a very flawed and crappy Jedi on first and second movie. The scene on the SECOND movie where he cannot move properly a crappy small rock shows it perfectly. He was capable of doing what he did because of the small knowledge he had of force and because of his friends. He just becomes a proper Jedi on the third movie. I love how on Return of the Jedi you see him powerful right on the start. You sense the evolution like "wow luke got really powerfull with time". Same with Anakin.

But Rey... well she becomes a full powerful Jedi in 5 minutes...

Puppyroach said:
eva01beserk said:

Yes, my mistake regarding who made those points. But I was questioning what the purpose was of those points. In what way does the movie portray that Rey got her gifts because she was a woman (point 1) and in what way did the movie portray Kylo as weaker compared to Rey because he was a man (point 6)?

It was never going to. If you had not notice, that would be a huge negative and if it was obvious the backlash would be immense.  The same as ghost busters, they dint say man are stupid or evil, and women are always right, man hold women back, women aren't trusted. But they implied all of that by the actions and events that occured, like making the 2 main male characters a handsome idiot, and an evil nerd, then combine them for the ultimate evil. All the man in power thought they where crazy, useless and made everything possible to stand in their way. The women had always a strong belief in their goals, even though everyone was against them, they have a momentary lapse of faith to them be proven right almost immediately and everybody sees the folly of their way. So women perfect, man flawed. 

I wont go into how star wars did the same cuz it was pointed out multiple times in this thread. 

You say you have no problems arguing the points made, why don't you? Its more productive that asumin sexim. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Vincoletto said:
d21lewis said:

Goddam, I love this post.

Love this post too. Luke needed 3 movies to become a full powerful Jedi. He was actually a very flawed and crappy Jedi on first and second movie. The scene on the SECOND movie where he cannot move properly a crappy small rock shows it perfectly. He was capable of doing what he did because of the small knowledge he had of force and because of his friends. He just becomes a proper Jedi on the third movie. I love how on Return of the Jedi you see him powerful right on the start. You sense the evolution like "wow luke got really powerfull with time". Same with Anakin.

Can you even call Rey a Jedi?

I didn't see her care about being a Jedi at all. She wanted to know about the force, when she actually asked luke after wasting his time for like 20 minutes. She didn't even try the read their books or anything else.

Luke seemed excited about being a Jedi from the start. It was clearly a higher calling to him. I didn't see that at all from Rey.

Can you really be a Jedi with one training session from a Jedi Master? If so, then why wouldn't Kylo be a Jedi now...

Last edited by Stefan.De.Machtige - on 26 December 2017

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Puppyroach said:
eva01beserk said:

Kylo has had to have at least a decades worth of training to become the equal of Rey, and in some ways she's actually more powerful. Rey is no one important, as far as lineage goes, so why is she so powerful? The only real reason is she is a Mary Sue.

There's a reason people with an agenda are praising this as a feminist SW movie. Personally, I think it's demeaning to women to suggest they need a Mary Sue to represent them. And really, the series deserves better. 

NightlyPoe said: 
thismeintiel said: 

Yea, I'm sure you were expecting a dismal fall of ~70%.  The largest drop in the series and a God awful number for ANY movie, regardless of the circumstances. 

It's a bit more than I would have estimated, but I would have been pleasantly surprised if it managed a drop of under 60%.  Seriously, anyone who thinks that a $200+ million opening weekend wouldn't have a massive drop on a weekend where Sunday is Christmas Eve is woefully ignorant of the way box office works.  It's certainly no indication that there's been some massive backlash.

You seem to have taken this all personally for some reason.  Why is that?

Any fan of any series is going to take it a little personal when they think that series just got shat all over by the new caretakers of that series.

Anyway, I don't believe you. You honestly thought this was going to drop faster than Justice League's 56%? A movie poorly received by critics and fans? I call BS. 

And you are putting WAY too much importance on Sunday. Care to explain why Fri saw a 76% decline, that was a larger one than Sun saw? If you're theory about kids being in school holds up, then it shouldn't have drop so incredibly. Nor should Saturday have seen a 54% decline, compared to TFA 2nd Sat decline of 17%. TFA Xmas eve take was also almost double that of TLJ.

So, sorry. Nothing but a bunch of people no longer being interested in watching/re-watching the film accounts for that.

Stefan.De.Machtige said: 
Vincoletto said: 

Can you even call Rey a Jedi?

I didn't see her care about being a Jedi at all. She wanted to know about the force, when she actually asked luke after wasting his time for like 20 minutes. She didn't even try the read their books or anything else.

Luke seemed excited about being a Jedi from the start. It was clearly a higher calling to him. I didn't see that at all from Rey.

Can you really be a Jedi with one training session from a Jedi Master? If so, then why wouldn't Kylo be a Jedi now...

We wouldn't. But, the movie certainly does. And it's Luke that actually gave her that title, no less, when his projection is wasting time with Kylo. 

DarthMetalliCube said: 

Usually when one side of the fence is resorting to 90% discrediting the person/personal attacks while the other group consists of 90% logical arguments - the former side tends to represent the losing side of the argument..

That's not how it works for something subjective like this. The thing is, there is no such thing as an objectively good/great/bad/horrible movie. The only thing that can be said is whether or not a film got good reviews, however since the vast majority of people who watch movies don't review them even that is a difficult baseline to entertain.