By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Fans Have Spoken, Last Jedi Drops A Massive 68%

Rian Johnson will be fine when he gets to do his own characters, the fanboys can't be all "yeah but you have to tell us this/this/this, explain to us this/this/this, you're not allowed to do that with that character".

There's nothing wrong with TLJ on a script level per se, it's reasonably well written, the Rey-Kylo link is an interesting story dynamic that makes it feel fresher than other recent SW films, it's just a bunch of fanboys angry they didn't get certain things explained to them in a very specific way or certain characters not playing out how they wanted, but none of that applies when you have completely new characters. "I wanted this from Snoke, I wanted this from Luke ..." etc. etc.

Well, that kinda goes out the window when you're starting completely from scratch with new characters. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 25 March 2018

Around the Network
Insidb said:
thismeintiel said:
As I pointed out in my BP thread, it is on track to hit $1.347B WW. This means it will actually outdo TLJ not just at the DBO, which it already has by $10.9M, but WW, as well.

Fire. Rian. Johnson.

Agreed. 

Soundwave said:

Rian Johnson will be fine when he gets to do his own characters, the fanboys can't be all "yeah but you have to tell us this/this/this, explain to us this/this/this, you're not allowed to do that with that character".

There's nothing wrong with TLJ on a script level per se, it's reasonably well written, the Rey-Kylo link is an interesting story dynamic that makes it feel fresher than other recent SW films, it's just a bunch of fanboys angry they didn't get certain things explained to them in a very specific way or certain characters not playing out how they wanted, but none of that applies when you have completely new characters. "I wanted this from Snoke, I wanted this from Luke ..." etc. etc.

Well, that kinda goes out the window when you're starting completely from scratch with new characters. 

You obviously have no idea what a fanboy is. A SW fanboy would accept SW in whatever format it comes in and excuse any fault as either extremely minor or insult those who disagree with them. Those who feel TLJ is a masterpiece or great are more inclined to be fanboys. 

Also, I don't know why you continue the charade. It's obvious that you loved the film. Anyone who thought the movie was "just alright" wouldn't be so passionate about defending the film or its director/writer.

As for the script, please. There is far more wrong with it than just fanboys (interesting how you can't argue your point without insults) not liking how they treated certain characters. The film was just boring. A 8 hrs snail race that creates so many logic holes on both sides it makes everyone look like a freaking idiot. A side plot that leads nowhere and reads like something out of a Disney Channel film. And then you have plot lines from the previous film that go nowhere or are dropped.

You also have SJW messages that are handled so poorly and on the nose, you would think a kid wrote them. "It's not nice to keep animals wocked up, so we must fwee them." An adult reads it, "Uh, they'll just be captured, again. Oh, and what about the abused slave children?" "Whoopsie, I forgots." It's cringe worthy. 

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 25 March 2018

Soundwave said:

So... a good script is one that introduces and removes settings and characters with no context?

What happened to the republic after last jedi? Howcome can a new empire just grow on their doorstep? Where does this new empire come from? Who is this snoke guy? These are fanboy questions that must be answered in a specific way? I didn't see any of that answered in any of the two movies. These are very important questions. This isn't a new franchise, it's Star wars, but it doesn't connect to star wars. 

I just have to disagree with that. I enjoyed TLJ, because after the clusterfeck that was episode 7 i knew what to expect. But in no way does it excuse the giganting plot holes. These are bad movies, but enjoyable movies. The prequals made more sense in the continuity.

Soundwave said:

Boy, you must have missed the movie or the threads that deconstructed his debacle of a script: plot holes and inconsistencies abound, and that's before we consider continuity from VII.

Fire. Rian. Johnson.

I think based off what I saw and of how little made sense of TLD, it's pretty clear Rian Johnson just doesn't know anything about writing - about world building, continuity, character building, tone, or consistency. Everything was just all over the place and made little sense.

MAYBE, and it's a BIG maybe, when he has free reign to make his own trilogy entirely from scratch he'll be able to shine more, but I just don't see it. Perhaps it's possible that the establishing story/characters set up by Abrams was just SO far from his style that he just felt he couldn't do much with it and it bogged him down, but then.. Why hire him in the first place?

The movie seemed so disconnected from the OT aside from the fact that it had the Star Wars name slapped on it and featured Luke and Leia (the former of which didn't actually seem anything like Luke). About the one aspect of TLD that was decent was the visual effects, so at best he should be demoted to just handle that side of things.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network
Nem said:
Soundwave said:

So... a good script is one that introduces and removes settings and characters with no context?

What happened to the republic after last jedi? Howcome can a new empire just grow on their doorstep? Where does this new empire come from? Who is this snoke guy? These are fanboy questions that must be answered in a specific way? I didn't see any of that answered in any of the two movies. These are very important questions. This isn't a new franchise, it's Star wars, but it doesn't connect to star wars. 

I just have to disagree with that. I enjoyed TLJ, because after the clusterfeck that was episode 7 i knew what to expect. But in no way does it excuse the giganting plot holes. These are bad movies, but enjoyable movies. The prequals made more sense in the continuity.

All that shit should have been in The Force Awakens, that's not on Rian Johnson to stop his movie and now have to explain 50 different things because the movie that should have dealt with most that crap (TFA) just had to be "oooh it's a mystery" for every freaking damn thing. He already had to put in a broader fleshing out of what happens to Luke and Ben and I thought that was actually fairly clever how he twisted it a bit (nice Kurosawa homage also). 

The prequels don't make sense half of the fucking time. Who's Syfo Dyas? Where does he comes from? Does Attack of the Clones (IN FILM, none of that cartoon show bullshit) address that even though it's an entire plot line? Nope. An entire movie is spent on Obi-Wan snooping around for that and then they just drop it, lol. Who's Count Dooku really? What does he really want? I still have no fucking idea, and don't give me the "watch the cartoon show" crap, that should be in the film. Who's General Greivous? Where the fuck did he come from? What the hell does the Trade Federation actually want? None of this is clearly explained in those films, so gimme a break. Why do the Jedi not question how like 10 million clone troops just magically show up?

Luke being the way Luke is is not something Rian Johnson made up, that was established by JJ Abrams, Luke bails out on his friends and goes running off to an island doing nothing while the First Order takes over because his Jedi academy was massacred. That's said straight up by Han Solo. 

Beyond that the same concept for Luke was established even by Lucas before even JJ Abrams was on the project, that art is in The Art of TLJ book, so Luke being a hermit that runs away to an island while the galaxy suffers was always part of the story. 

To me The Force Awakens and Last Jedi are fairly even in quality. Flawed, but I think I prefer TLJ more because it's a bit darker of a film. Better than the prequels which are just a cartoon but below the OT by a good amount. 

The biggest problem with TLJ script is that it has too many characters and that cuts down on the compelling parts of it which are the Rey + Luke and Rey + Kylo sequences. Those parts of the movie work and work very well, the performances are good. There's DRA-MA there, not just nerd shit answers/fanboy wanking (that doesn't make a movie), Rian needed to stick to give those parts of the movie more screen time and all the Rose/Finn/Poe/Leia subplots less screen time.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 26 March 2018

Soundwave said:
Nem said:

All that shit should have been in The Force Awakens, that's not on Rian Johnson to stop his movie and now have to explain 50 different things because the movie that should have dealt with most that crap (TFA) just had to be "oooh it's a mystery" for every freaking damn thing. He already had to put in a broader fleshing out of what happens to Luke and Ben and I thought that was actually fairly clever how he twisted it a bit (nice Kurosawa homage also). 

The prequels don't make sense half of the fucking time. Who's Syfo Dyas? Where does he comes from? Does Attack of the Clones (IN FILM, none of that cartoon show bullshit) address that even though it's an entire plot line? Nope. An entire movie is spent on Obi-Wan snooping around for that and then they just drop it, lol. Who's Count Dooku really? What does he really want? I still have no fucking idea, and don't give me the "watch the cartoon show" crap, that should be in the film. Who's General Greivous? Where the fuck did he come from? What the hell does the Trade Federation actually want? None of this is clearly explained in those films, so gimme a break. Why do the Jedi not question how like 10 million clone troops just magically show up?

Luke being the way Luke is is not something Rian Johnson made up, that was established by JJ Abrams, Luke bails out on his friends and goes running off to an island doing nothing while the First Order takes over because his Jedi academy was massacred. That's said straight up by Han Solo. 

Beyond that the same concept for Luke was established even by Lucas before even JJ Abrams was on the project, that art is in The Art of TLJ book, so Luke being a hermit that runs away to an island while the galaxy suffers was always part of the story. 

To me The Force Awakens and Last Jedi are fairly even in quality. Flawed, but I think I prefer TLJ more because it's a bit darker of a film. Better than the prequels which are just a cartoon but below the OT by a good amount. 

The biggest problem with TLJ script is that it has too many characters and that cuts down on the compelling parts of it which are the Rey + Luke and Rey + Kylo sequences. Those parts of the movie work and work very well, the performances are good. There's DRA-MA there, not just nerd shit answers/fanboy wanking (that doesn't make a movie), Rian needed to stick to give those parts of the movie more screen time and all the Rose/Finn/Poe/Leia subplots less screen time.

That's where the setting makes sense. Syfa dias was a jedi master, dooku was an apprentice of Palpatine, but after the prequels pretty much every jedi died and the only Sith was palpatine. So, this snoke guy makes no sense without some explanation.

Btw i agree that that stuff should be in episode 7 and that is why i disliked it. I don't think the problem is TLJ but the whole thing. This new trilogy feels like a different dimension where the empire was never defeated. It's a can of nonsense. 

I still don't know what these "shit answers" are you are talking about, but theres also the highperspeed jump cutting things in half. That came out of nowhere. I think you are trying to attack something that is legitimate. I guess after the first movie it was "this stuff will get explained later". Now that they see it won't everyone woke up from the trance. xD

Nem said:
Soundwave said:

That's where the setting makes sense. Syfa dias was a jedi master, dooku was an apprentice of Palpatine, but after the prequels pretty much every jedi died and the only Sith was palpatine. So, this snoke guy makes no sense without some explanation.

Btw i agree that that stuff should be in episode 7 and that is why i disliked it. I don't think the problem is TLJ but the whole thing. This new trilogy feels like a different dimension where the empire was never defeated. It's a can of nonsense. 

I still don't know what these "shit answers" are you are talking about, but theres also the highperspeed jump cutting things in half. That came out of nowhere. I think you are trying to attack something that is legitimate. I guess after the first movie it was "this stuff will get explained later". Now that they see it won't everyone woke up from the trance. xD

That's partly true. Unanswered questions was one of my biggest complaints with TFA. Same goes for how Luke reacted to his students turning to the Dark Side. However, many fans excused this, as they said it would all be addressed in the sequel. I knew it wouldn't, but many held out hope. The fact is, though, it could easily be explained in just a few scenes that lasted just a fraction of the running time. It was a freaking 2 1/2 hrs film after all. Take out a few jokes that never landed and add that in.

Now, here's why I say partly. While I say everything wasn't explained, some things were hinted at, but then changed in TLJ. TFA makes it seem that Luke was looking for something meaningful, but left a map to his exact location if things were ever to go down and they needed him. In TLJ, now he's a cranky old man (though is used for comic relief) that wants to die alone on an island. He also seems to forget he made a map, because he asked Chewbacca and Rey why are they there and how did they find him. I can't remember if this was hinted at or outright said, but with TFA many  viewers believed the Order to be the last remnants of the Empire seeking to destroy the Republic and take control of the galaxy, again, and the destruction of the Starkiller was a HUGE blow to them. In TLJ, they are now somehow so large that everyone fears them and will not strike back at them for destroying the Republic planets. And the Rebels are just some small insignificant force, when in TFA it made it seem as if had more than that small group we saw. Which then makes you wonder why the Order has made their destruction the number one priority. It's also so pathetic that they have absolutely no military strategy, yet came to rule the galaxy?  It's pretty bad that they can't find a solution to the Rebels that they are following, but any slub on the internet can think of a solution after watching those scenes for 5 mins.

A very small part of what's wrong withTLJ does rest on the back of TFA. However, the vast majority of its problems are all its own fault.

Just a quick update. Looks like TLJ's FBO run is basically done. It's been sitting at $712.3M for the past two weeks. So, this is $419.3M, or 37.1%, down from TFA.

Even with 'Star Wars' surge, moviegoing could hit 22-year low.

...the number of tickets sold is projected to drop 4% to 1.26 billion — the lowest level since 1995, according to preliminary estimates from studio executives.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-box-office-challenges-20171223-story.html