By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSVR thread! - Crisis on the planet of the Apes, better than expected? Livestream footage

Wipout omega collection VR patch....

Love it. 3 100.00%

Like it. 0 0%

Dislike it. 0 0%

Hate it. 0 0%

Mixed feelings on it so far. 0 0%

Other, don't own, comments, indifferent... 0 0%

Total:3

@Errorist I love reading your early impressions, brings me back to last year when I felt like a kid again, yet suddenly having access to the best most innovative year in gaming of 1998.

Don't forget to download Alumette and the Joshua bell experience. Both mind blowing. CoD jackal assault was great as well for a short demo. Statik demo is a must, instantly sold me on the game. Give Tethered a try see if you like it and ofcourse the playroom. Robot rescue is amazing.

And yes Bound is amazing in VR. Having her walk up to the camera gives such a sense of presence, beautiful game. Talking about sense of presence, I still find myself trying to touch the blade of my sword in Skyrim, not even consciously, just reaching out to check if it's still sharp lol.

DriveClub is better on the pro, yet sitting in car with a dark interior while sitting on my dark leather couch and looking down underneath the edge of the headset and it matches perfectly, eerie.

I'm so torn right now. GTS is so addictive, just made it to DR.A yet can't race in VR argh :)

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
@Errorist I love reading your early impressions, brings me back to last year when I felt like a kid again, yet suddenly having access to the best most innovative year in gaming of 1998.

Don't forget to download Alumette and the Joshua bell experience. Both mind blowing. CoD jackal assault was great as well for a short demo. Statik demo is a must, instantly sold me on the game. Give Tethered a try see if you like it and ofcourse the playroom. Robot rescue is amazing.

And yes Bound is amazing in VR. Having her walk up to the camera gives such a sense of presence, beautiful game. Talking about sense of presence, I still find myself trying to touch the blade of my sword in Skyrim, not even consciously, just reaching out to check if it's still sharp lol.

DriveClub is better on the pro, yet sitting in car with a dark interior while sitting on my dark leather couch and looking down underneath the edge of the headset and it matches perfectly, eerie.

I'm so torn right now. GTS is so addictive, just made it to DR.A yet can't race in VR argh :)

Haha yeah, I constantly want to touch things as well...it tricks the mind, it’s really stunning. 

I always thought Bound was just in stationary cam mode in VR, but they seem to have added a dynamic mode with normal gameplay with the cam floating behind her. Both modes are great in their own way and you’re right...she feels so real, the animation is outstanding. Damn I love the character design and general art in that game! And the music too!

Oh Yeah, thanks for reminding me of Statik. I already watched Alumette and it’s amazing. The end brought a tear to my eye. I’m definitely in for more movies like that.

Joshua Bell is the violinist, right?! Thx, will do.

I’m beyond sad I can’t play the X-Wing mission because I don’t want to buy stupid Battlefront for it.

And Svenno...because you asked earlier. Get Ultrawings! It’s one of my favourites, granted I’m a Flight Sim lover, but it’s getting praise everywhere! It’s the only game that really made me feel my stomach in turns, the experience feels that real.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 30 December 2017

Errorist76 said:
SvennoJ said:

Haha yeah, I constantly want to touch things as well...it tricks the mind, it’s really stunning. 

I always thought Bound was just in stationary cam mode in VR, but they seem to have added a dynamic mode with normal gameplay with the cam floating behind her. Both modes are great in their own way and you’re right...she feels so real, the animation is outstanding. Damn I love the character design and general art in that game! And the music too!

Oh Yeah, thanks for reminding me of Statik. I already watched Alumette and it’s amazing. The end brought a tear to my eye. I’m definitely in for more movies like that.

Joshua Bell is the violinist, right?! Thx, will do.

I’m beyond sad I can’t play the X-Wing mission because I don’t want to buy stupid Battlefront for it.

And Svenno...because you asked earlier. Get Ultrawings! It’s one of my favourites, granted I’m a Flight Sim lover, but it’s getting praise everywhere! It’s the only game that really made me feel my stomach in turn, the experience feels that real.

I got a second hand copy of SW battlefront for a few bucks. I only played the VR mission.

Ok Ultrawings is going on my list, looks good on you tube already.
If you sure you have zero motion sickness try Windlands. First person platforming in VR. It's hard and a lot of fun.

John2290 said:
Damn it, Is this all we get https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM7MDh4NQug or else buy an Aim? Use our toes or tape our ps4 controller too our moves. Pity. Thank god the sale was on this nonsense. smdh.

Unless they patched it, it's rubbish as well with AIM. They added inertia to the gun so when you strafe it's lagging in the opposite direction which completely throws you off since you are holding the thing. It constantly corrects too so it just becomes a juddering mess which is impossible to aim with, no circle strafing. Plus your off hand sticks out and clips through the gun you control with aim while strafing. The gun clips through you too all the time, very ugly holding a hollow gun.

I had to switch to DS4 to get through the waves. However with the DS4 I had to aim my head down while looking up out of my eyes because the stupid targeting is 15 degrees too high by default. Can't change it. Plus now you have two ugly guns sticking out from your shoulders. It's like RE7, Farpoint and AZ Sunshine never existed.

But damn, you hit the floor while playing! Better sit down next time :)

It seems it's not patched yet
https://bethesda.net/community/category/220/psvr-support
Plenty complaints about all control schemes

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 30 December 2017

Errorist76 said: 

All in all I’m really surprised by the PSVR headset. I had tried a Rift before and PSVR screen and comfort are clearly superior.

I don’t think I’ve felt this excited about a new piece of tech since the PS One. All this 4K talk suddenly seems forgettable. Outside of headsets of course. :)
The prospect of what is still to come once big publishers and developers will start to take it seriously...

I’m not too shy to admit it... there were and still are moments, where I shed a tear or two.. because I’m so in awe that Im able to witness this. I’ve been gaming since 35 years and it hast gotten a bit stale and boring lately. Not anymore =)

I felt, and still feel the same way. Games have been my passion since I was 4 years old. 26 years later, and I have enjoyed going from Atari, to NES, to SNES, to PS1&N64&GBC, to PS2&XB&PSP, to PS3&360&Vita, and now PS4&Switch. Watching games evolve has been an absolute joy. With VR, I feel like everything is reset, and my mind is racing with excitement, and ideas about what kind of expereinces are possible now.

It is great to see others discovering and enjoying this new medium. Looking forward to watching it grow over the next 20+ years.

John2290 said:

Doom went and did it, what were they thinking with that nonsense control scheme. I was teleporting around shooting my way through enemies when I started getting sweaty and I thought I'd hit my wall in real life and for the life of me I couldn't stop pushing against the wall, I pull of my headset and it turns out I'm on the damn floor. I musta passed out, hit the ground and woke up thinking I had hit the wall. Really glad my headset didn't take any damage but man I feel like shit now, not sick or anything juts really foolish. What in the world possessed them to think movement strafing left and right would be a better idea than free movement? Hasn't Data center pretty much set the standerd for movement and controls in first person. Stupid developers.

SvennoJ said:
John2290 said:
Damn it, Is this all we get https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM7MDh4NQug or else buy an Aim? Use our toes or tape our ps4 controller too our moves. Pity. Thank god the sale was on this nonsense. smdh.

Unless they patched it, it's rubbish as well with AIM. They added inertia to the gun so when you strafe it's lagging in the opposite direction which completely throws you off since you are holding the thing. It constantly corrects too so it just becomes a juddering mess which is impossible to aim with, no circle strafing. Plus your off hand sticks out and clips through the gun you control with aim while strafing. The gun clips through you too all the time, very ugly holding a hollow gun.

I had to switch to DS4 to get through the waves. However with the DS4 I had to aim my head down while looking up out of my eyes because the stupid targeting is 15 degrees too high by default. Can't change it. Plus now you have two ugly guns sticking out from your shoulders. It's like RE7, Farpoint and AZ Sunshine never existed.

But damn, you hit the floor while playing! Better sit down next time :)

It seems it's not patched yet
https://bethesda.net/community/category/220/psvr-support
Plenty complaints about all control schemes

Nice to see this brought up. I couldn't believe how bad the gameplay in Doom VFR is. It blows me away that this was actually a made for VR expereince, when I have played titles that patched in VR that have done a better job. 

Counldn't agree more about them totally ignoring Farpoint, Arizona Sunshine, and RE7. This is the first VR titles that I have set aside, because the gameplay just killed all of my desire. That is extreamly sad, because so far in VR, it has been the lack of content or the level of quality that have been a negative, while the gameplay is so good I will accept these other short comings. Pretty wild that an established franchise like Doom would be the first to mess it up this bad.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
John2290 said:

I'm probably foolhardy enough to go back into that sitting down but I'd have to burn through all the content on PSN before I do, unless they add better movement. One thing I don't get though, you're adding RE7 in there, which has great movement but I can't imagine the gun play in doom with a head controlled cursor, Damn, one would end up with some serious neck issues after a session or two of that. I haven't tried Arizona sunshine or farpoint yet and I don't have an Aim but I'd be surprised if it gets much better than mixing control schemes in Data Center, having smooth turning mixed with teleporting works just fantastically with the moves. I hear great things about Skyrims patch too and hope to try this fabled movement system.

That's exactly how I played it with the DS4, except the targeting is 15 degrees too high hence the having to aim your head down all the time. I kept switching back to AIM for the exploration parts and occasional enemies as, yep, it's not comfortable.

Skyrim works great with move. In the Solus Project I use the DS4 in my right hand for smooth rotation and sprint, left hand to pick things up etc. Skyrim has smooth rotation on the buttons which is only on/off. It works, yet using an analog stick is still better.

Next gen needs new controllers with analog sticks, no way around it. It's simply better.

John2290 said:

I'm probably foolhardy enough to go back into that sitting down but I'd have to burn through all the content on PSN before I do, unless they add better movement. One thing I don't get though, you're adding RE7 in there, which has great movement but I can't imagine the gun play in doom with a head controlled cursor, Damn, one would end up with some serious neck issues after a session or two of that. I haven't tried Arizona sunshine or farpoint yet and I don't have an Aim but I'd be surprised if it gets much better than mixing control schemes in Data Center, having smooth turning mixed with teleporting works just fantastically with the moves. I hear great things about Skyrims patch too and hope to try this fabled movement system.

RE7 is not the ultimate example, but it works much more naturally than the implementation in Doom.

I have not tried Data Center, so I can't comment on it. Will look into it.

Aim with Farpoint and Arizona Sunshine is nearly perfect. The only issue is that you are limited to about 270 Deg due to the single tracking location. I could play both of these titles with the Aim for hours. This set up is ready for a AAA scale game. It is solid enough that I don't think the mass market would have any issue with it.

Skyrim works really well. The update for smooth movement has made it about as good as I could expect out of the current Move controllers. It does have its limitations though due to one controller needing to be tilted to indicate direction. This make dual wielding quite combersome, so I am not sure how well it would translate to Doom. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

John2290 said:

May I make the suggestions of Super Hot VR and Data centre as great multiplats and if you are into racers the DiRt rally is a must have. 

May i ask have you had any motion sickness yet and if so, hpw big of a deal was it? I feel like Oculus should much less of an issue with MotSick just wondering

I bought Super Hot but I'll have to check out Date Centre.  I'm not into racers unfortunately.

I had just a bit of motion sickness whenever I use free movement rather than teleportation.  It wasn't too bad and the symptoms fade pretty quickly.

John2290 said:

Doom went and did it, what were they thinking with that nonsense control scheme. I was teleporting around shooting my way through enemies when I started getting sweaty and I thought I'd hit my wall in real life and for the life of me I couldn't stop pushing against the wall, I pull of my headset and it turns out I'm on the damn floor. I musta passed out, hit the ground and woke up thinking I had hit the wall. Really glad my headset didn't take any damage but man I feel like shit now, not sick or anything juts really foolish. What in the world possessed them to think movement strafing left and right would be a better idea than free movement? Hasn't Data center pretty much set the standerd for movement and controls in first person. Stupid developers.

Holy shoot, that sounds rough...glad you and your headset are fine. Yeah I noticed some sweating and uncomfortable feeling when playing the first scene of the London Heist, when I was just moving very hectically and fast and wasn't accustomed to the whole situation yet. 

When you're talking about Data Center you mean Raw Data, right?!

Btw...Happy New VR Year everybody!!!

I've passed the 130 hour mark on Skyrim VR and still need to go to Solstheim. I've explored the main game pretty thoroughly by now, just the main quest to finish.

It will be strange to play short games again.