By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Weekly, 11th November 2017, Hardware

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep, holiday is strong for X1. For that reason on my prediction for BF I said X1 could win even though PS4 was rising YOY and both had deep price cuts.

Sure, if closing december 2015-16-17 totals are near I consider stable/flat, But the fact that November was very high doesn't give certainty to December. I was going more on the X1 being a lot down YOY up to November, but sure it can recover for December, but either way I think 2018 will be lower. But who knows, X1X can hit a stride and make 2018 bigger than the previous year. MS managed a second peak with Kinect why not with X1X?

The 360's success with Kinect was an anomaly.

2018 could see decline IF this is an exceptional year. But again, if its averagng about 8 million through the gen, thats stable and viable.

You do know that products have sales curves right? So considering this year as a little below 16 and over 15, 18 just makes sense as another down unless X1X takes off (which you think is unlikely) it isn't common in the least to have a console for 4 or 5 years fluctuating a "flat" sales.

adisababa said:
The switch sales are quite disappointing, it isn't really having a good first year compared to consoles that have been on the shelves for 3 years.

Looks like the hype is most certainly fading, except for Japan, it looks like the Switch will probably fade in Europe and in America too.

Errr but no... it's more likely for a console in the 3rd or 4th year to do better numbers than one on the 1st than the opposite... PS4 is to reach its peak this year or the next, and Switch is still on a growing part of the sales curve so nothing exceptional for it to not reach the sales of PS4 on this year.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Errr but no... it's more likely for a console in the 3rd or 4th year to do better numbers than one on the 1st than the opposite... PS4 is to reach its peak this year or the next, and Switch is still on a growing part of the sales curve so nothing exceptional for it to not reach the sales of PS4 on this year.

Actually, there's a possibility that the Switch's sales curve might be just as front loaded as the Wii where that system peaked in it's second year and the 3DS in it's 4th year wasn't able to outsell it's 1st year either once we consider the system has already released half of it's biggest franchises ... 

Make me think that Switch is still grossly undertracked by VGChartz.

bowserthedog said:

Why would you think that? Going by the numbers Nintendo have released VGC is almost spot on with the Switch numbers......or at least has been.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

fatslob-:O said:
DonFerrari said:

Actually, there's a possibility that the Switch's sales curve might be just as front loaded as the Wii where that system peaked in it's second year and the 3DS in it's 4th year wasn't able to outsell it's 1st year either once we consider the system has already released half of it's biggest franchises ... 

Sure it can happen of it being frontloaded... but the comment on Switch on 1st year losing to a 4y old console as if it should win, isn't accurate. And that is why I put the answer.

bowserthedog said:

Nope. Considering the date Nintendo said it crossed 10M, it is even possible that VGC is slightly overtracking.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
fatslob-:O said:

Sure it can happen of it being frontloaded... but the comment on Switch on 1st year losing to a 4y old console as if it should win, isn't accurate. And that is why I put the answer.

bowserthedog said:

Nope. Considering the date Nintendo said it crossed 10M, it is even possible that VGC is slightly overtracking.

If we take the date as 3rd. December like ZhugeX has, (9 months exactly) and suppose Switch hasn't had an exceptional Nov, then i'd say the VGC numbers are pretty accurate!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:
DonFerrari said:

If we take the date as 3rd. December like ZhugeX has, (9 months exactly) and suppose Switch hasn't had an exceptional Nov, then i'd say the VGC numbers are pretty accurate!

It sold 800k in USA, that is a pretty good December.

DonFerrari said:
peachbuggy said:

Yeh i'm not saying it's bad i'm saying the VGC numbers will reflect this.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

trunkswd said:
Slarvax said:
Also, Switch might look a little low, but it's pretty similar to 3DS in its first year. It sold 306k in the 2nd week of November 2011. Lower than expected by me.

Nintendo also announced on December 13 the Switch hit 10 million units sold to consumers. They didn't provide any dates on when it hit the figure (Unless I am mistaken), so that would likely mean it hit the milestone for the week ending December 9. We currently have sales around 8.5 million units. That would leave  at least 1.5 million units sold in 4 weeks. 

At least, because we don't know how much over those 10M it went that time (maybe 10.1 or 10.2, I don't expect more than that, though)

Oh, and I really don't buy those UK sales for that week. a 91% drop after the SMO release seems way too big for me to believe those numbers. A drop from 13k to barely above 1k, while the Switch was selling about 7-8k each week before through September and October? Not realistic at all for me.

Mar1217 said:
DonFerrari said:

It sold 800k in USA, that is a pretty good November.

You should re-read yourself sometimes :P

No need, my memory good. Want to show me when I said Switch sold bad on November?

peachbuggy said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeh i'm not saying it's bad i'm saying the VGC numbers will reflect this.

yes they will. I was just putting that at this moment VGC can be a little over, just that.