By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Top 5 Things I Disliked About SW:TLJ

StarOcean said:

We get it, you got raped by CGI in the form of Jar Jar. He got you good in the butthole and now you have a PTSD aversion to them. They aren't bad. CGI is fine. And it definitely wasn't used in a bad way this movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsuvXHGCVXE

Around the Network

My heart breaks for Mark, he looked in shock after seeing it.  He did express his concerns before on multiple occasions about how they handled Luke.

numberwang said:

I heard this movie is about the Empire against the Rebels with some good and bad guys fighting?

How often can you watch the same movie?

I heard every action movie ever is about good and bad guys fighting.....

Nymeria said:

My heart breaks for Mark, he looked in shock after seeing it.  He did express his concerns before on multiple occasions about how they handled Luke.

Not surprising really. When I first heard about him taking exception to the direction taken with his character during shooting, I assumed it was a gripe centered around Luke's wanting to apparently end the Jedi order, deviating from the path his character had for the original trilogy, in which being a Jedi was pretty much all he aspired to. At the time I was thinking "ya, whatever...that transition could still make a lot of sense, with his character realizing that things could simply be done better." Actually seeing the movie though.....lol. I mean Luke isn't even Luke anymore in anything but name.

I agree with most complaints on here and I think the root of it all is Rian Johson not wanted to follow up on the loose ends intentionally left by Abrams. He actually said he didn't want to direct somebody's sequel and it shows. Not only does he mishandle plot points from TFA, he also doesn't seem to be interested in setting up the final episode.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 19 December 2017

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

OTBWY said:

30: Jedi books. So what happened to holocrons? (were holocrons ever canon?  I thought they were just something from the comic books and expanded universe books)

33: Leia survives. Luke doesn't.  (yes, illogical to me as well)
34: Why does Luke force project himself? Just go there.

34.  Exactly.  If he was just going to die from exhaustion from doing that, then have him actually go there, and go out like a hero, not a bitch.  It was even hinted at, since they specifically decided to show his X-Wing under water.

36.  That was really cringe inducing.  They wanted to have their own Hoth, but it's totally not Hoth if it's salt instead of snow.  Right?  Right?

And I do agree with you that this was basically them trying to make Star Wars more like Marvel.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Marvel films.  But, that's just it, they are the Marvel films.  Their own thing.  They aren't Star Wars, nor should Star Wars be them.  I guess Disney saw that the Marvel films were making more money off of toy sales than the last SW film, so they wanted to try to correct that.  In doing so, though, they are going to make quite a bit less money at the box office with this film compared to TFA.

I didn't like that they ended Luke's character they way they did, but I won't say that the way it was done doesn't make sense.  If Luke had physically gone there, Kylo's AT-AT's would have obliterated him on the spot and would not have bought the Rebels any time.  Kylo feared Luke and wanted The First Order to kill him for him before having to attempt a face to face confrontation.  So in that sense, a force projection ruse by Luke makes sense.  It was disappointing to see him disappear afterwards, but again it makes sense that a manipulation of the force on that level would have strained his lifeforce to the point of breaking.  Besides, he did successfully buy time for the Rebels to escape.  And he gave up the last of his lifeforce to do so.  How does that make him go out like a bitch instead of a hero?  (Mind you, I'm not gung ho about what happened, I just disagree with your interpretation of that specific sequence)

And yeah, Disney definitely was leaning towards their Marvel tendencies with this film more than being true to Star Wars.  And by Marvel, I mean their post Guardians of the Galaxy tendencies, because not all Disney Marvel films have been this over the top with humor before GotG.  The original Guardians was a great family movie and a lot of fun.  Unfortunately, ever since then, Disney has been trying to over apply this to all of their films ever since.  Even in the sequel to Guardians it seemed like they were pushing it too hard with jokes that were supposed to be huge laughs but weren't, or were out of place.  I didn't enjoy the first 1/3 of The Last Jedi, because it felt more like a parody of Star Wars than an actual Star Wars film.  I like to laugh as much as the next person, but that's what Family Guy, Robot Chicken, and SNL are for.  A funny quip here and there can be used to great effect.  But on this level, it's like Disney is lampooning Star Wars within it's own universe.

Last edited by Mandalore76 - on 19 December 2017

"Remember kids, it is not important if it is high quality, only if it makes money"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzxV9y1Ba7k

I've kinda warmed up to the movie after watching it again. I can sort of agree with the way Luke was portrayed. He could be redeemed later on. But killing him was the worst possible decision. And killing him off to make way for the new good guys is even worse.

Last edited by fory77 - on 19 December 2017

5. Why do people want boring dead environments? Did you see the large sea creature during one of the fly overs of the island? All cool stuff. I loved the porgs (funny), crystal foxes (really cool looking and had a pivotal role in the plot), and the race horse-things were well done even if Finn's overall subplot could have been removed from the movie without any impact to the story line.

4. When I see people bash Luke they are the same people who don't get why Anakin went Darth or why Kylo Ren is Kylo Ren. They simply don't understand the (admittingly weak characterization) emotional state of these characters throughout their lives. Luke's character makes sense when actually pay attention to what he says, does, and fails at doing in the OT and then combine that to what this trilogy is saying happened up to the point of TLJ. Hell, even Yoda hits the nail on the head when he blasts Luke with the same folly Luke is continuously making.

Luke is an emotional wreck that has always been whiny and self-defeated. The only movie where he showed any actual confidence was RotJ and that was a facade due to his self-prescribed identity as a full Jedi even though he had zero of the training or guidance of any past Jedi. Ask yourself, why did he wait so long to begin to build a new Jedi order? Because his lack of self-esteem or actual confidence in his ability to train anyone. He knew he would fail and/or his continued fear (called out by Yoda many times) that he'd fail.

Then his fear progressed into views of the future which pushed his emotional state to insane action to almost murder his nephew (his own battle of dark/light manifested). This all makes sense.

The problem is that people expected to see another Obi Wan when Luke which was silly considering Obi Wan was stable... always. Luke (and Anakin / Kylo) was never emotionally stable.

3. SW never explains everything. We were never told who the Emperor was in the OT. We were never told how the Storm Troopers were trained/created in the OT. You don't know what's going to happen in EP9 yet and I believe in this movie we were deliberately mislead on Rey's parents. Fact is, SW loves its mystery. We may never know who Snoke was beyond a very powerful dark force guy. However, we do know why Luke was hid away and its not hard to determine why the map was left... he does love his sister but didn't want to be pulled back into the fight.

2. Luke's training in force before he started doing basic stuff was minimal as well. Basically identical where they both were just guided to 'use the force', reach out with feelings, etc. There is nothing crazy here. Her fighting Kylo in the last movie was not force specific, but a whole lot of other items. She demonstrated in that movie that she can fight very well. Anakin's pod racing proves that without training force can be used to greatly improve their reactions. On top of that, as I pointed out above, Kylo is emotionally and mentally unstable. He just killed his father in a significantly powerful emotional action. He also was wounded in such a way that very likely would have killed or at least taken out anyone else. Clearly all of that was a major factor in her ability to very briefly get an edge on him. She is very powerful, just as Yoda was or other past powerful Jedi. There is nothing she's doing that is out of the realm of possibility for her. Just people being narrow-minded and not following the full story. I honestly think that if she was male, there would be less bitching. Damn good to see girl power in this movie. Silly to conclude there could be no super powerful female jedi. Girls need superheros too.

1. Luke's part encompassed a combination of Anakin, ObiWan, and Yoda; emotional wreck, self-sacrifice to drive larger goals, and awareness that he needed to back away, that this time / influence was best left out.

I think you completely missed major Snoke statements in this movie. He stated that he was the reason why Rey/Kylo Ren were communicating and that he was controlling the visions. That means what they both saw about each other was actually the result of what Snoke wanted them to see. Her parents are not really known yet. That was a lie to break her.

I think you and many others need to watch both movies again without pre-conceived notions and think more about the context behind what is going on in this saga.

Mandalore76 said:

34.  Exactly.  If he was just going to die from exhaustion from doing that, then have him actually go there, and go out like a hero, not a bitch.  It was even hinted at, since they specifically decided to show his X-Wing under water.

36.  That was really cringe inducing.  They wanted to have their own Hoth, but it's totally not Hoth if it's salt instead of snow.  Right?  Right?

And I do agree with you that this was basically them trying to make Star Wars more like Marvel.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Marvel films.  But, that's just it, they are the Marvel films.  Their own thing.  They aren't Star Wars, nor should Star Wars be them.  I guess Disney saw that the Marvel films were making more money off of toy sales than the last SW film, so they wanted to try to correct that.  In doing so, though, they are going to make quite a bit less money at the box office with this film compared to TFA.

I didn't like that they ended Luke's character they way they did, but I won't say that the way it was done doesn't make sense.  If Luke had physically gone there, Kylo's AT-AT's would have obliterated him on the spot and would not have bought the Rebels any time.  Kylo feared Luke and wanted The First Order to kill him for him before having to attempt a face to face confrontation.  So in that sense, a force projection ruse by Luke makes sense.  It was disappointing to see him disappear afterwards, but again it makes sense that a manipulation of the force on that level would have strained his lifeforce to the point of breaking.  Besides, he did successfully buy time for the Rebels to escape.  And he gave up the last of his lifeforce to do so.  How does that make him go out like a bitch instead of a hero?  (Mind you, I'm not gung ho about what happened, I just disagree with your interpretation of that specific sequence)

And yeah, Disney definitely was leaning towards their Marvel tendencies with this film more than being true to Star Wars.  And by Marvel, I mean their post Guardians of the Galaxy tendencies, because not all Disney Marvel films have been this over the top with humor before GotG.  The original Guardians was a great family movie and a lot of fun.  Unfortunately, ever since then, Disney has been trying to over apply this to all of their films ever since.  Even in the sequel to Guardians it seemed like they were pushing it too hard with jokes that were supposed to be huge laughs but weren't, or were out of place.  I didn't enjoy the first 1/3 of The Last Jedi, because it felt more like a parody of Star Wars than an actual Star Wars film.  I like to laugh as much as the next person, but that's what Family Guy, Robot Chicken, and SNL are for.  A funny quip here and there can be used to great effect.  But on this level, it's like Disney is lampooning Star Wars within it's own universe.

On the holocrons. They are canon if the Disney tv-show is canon. The jedi library is also canonically a database. So there is some form of digital storage medium in Star Wars. Why are the sacred texts only left on paper? It just doesn't make sense.

And on Luke going to the planet himself. Sure the AT-AT's could have blown him up, OR the blast could have been something that Luke would be able to handle as a powerful Jedi. If Leia can survive being exposed to open space, why not let Luke withstand blasterfire? If were asspulling as we go, why not do that instead?