By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Top 5 Things I Disliked About SW:TLJ

Yea, I didn't like it much either, and idk if you said it or not cuz i only skimmed the first part of each of your points but a) I thought most of the jokes were pretty bad and b) Wasn't just the cg that looked wonky af, some of the wigs in it were really bad (why did luke have a justin bieber wig in the flashback, and why the fuk did holdo have the hair of someone from whoville).

Also must say, it was such a jarring experience when i watched it, as everyone but me and my dad were laughing everything, and cheering/clapping (which I know happens a lot with star wars and marvel stuff, but I can't see why that'd happen with this one) it was like they were watching a whole other movie tbh.

Around the Network

I thought I was done with Star Wars after Revenge of the Sith. Disney conned me back into caring about the ongoing series with The Force Awakens, but after The Last Jedi I can confidently say I'm finished with it entirely. The original trilogy will always be a classic, and some of the EU books will be fondly remembered, but new management SW has proven itself to be soulless trash in just three years.

GarrettofRivia said:

Yea, I didn't like it much either, and idk if you said it or not cuz i only skimmed the first part of each of your points but a) I thought most of the jokes were pretty bad and b) Wasn't just the cg that looked wonky af, some of the wigs in it were really bad (why did luke have a justin bieber wig in the flashback, and why the fuk did holdo have the hair of someone from whoville).

Also must say, it was such a jarring experience when i watched it, as everyone but me and my dad were laughing everything, and cheering/clapping (which I know happens a lot with star wars and marvel stuff, but I can't see why that'd happen with this one) it was like they were watching a whole other movie tbh.

I only briefly mentioned the jokes, but yeah, they were awful. The thing is, I love Marvel films. You know what you're going to get.  And, yes, there will be some humor sprinkled in. However, and it's hard to explain this exactly, it's just woven in much more competently.  Like it goes along with what else is going on screen. Here, it's like in your mind you could see the exact spot where they set up for a jokey scene and reaction shot. It just didn't flow. 

The reaction in my theater wasn't quite so ecstatic. Granted it was a showing for about 10-15 at my son's theater. But they were dead silent and just talked about it afterwards. I think they were like many. Wanted to like it, so convinced themselves that they did, but later realized how poor it was. 

arcaneguyver said:
I thought I was done with Star Wars after Revenge of the Sith. Disney conned me back into caring about the ongoing series with The Force Awakens, but after The Last Jedi I can confidently say I'm finished with it entirely. The original trilogy will always be a classic, and some of the EU books will be fondly remembered, but new management SW has proven itself to be soulless trash in just three years.

I think millions feel like you do. TFA was flawed, but it still at least felt like a SW movie, it's humor was handled much better, and left some interesting places to go. How they let one person shit all over it like that is beyond me. What, did he promise them higher toy sales? Wouldn't surprise me.

"Eh, those SW nerds will come no matter what we put on screen. So, let's make it more Marvel to try to  appeal to even more people, throw our own agenda in there unsubtly, and throw in toy bait."

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-last-jedi-box-office-drop/

Take a look at this.

OTBWY said:

Take a look at this.

Yep, I saw that. And 2nd weekend numbers are out and it dropped nearly 70% weekend over weekend. A new low for the franchise. Not sure if it's the largest drop in movie history (doubt it) , but it's got to be up there. Especially for a large franchise. 

I made a thread about it. 

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
OTBWY said:

Take a look at this.

Yep, I saw that. And 2nd weekend numbers are out and it dropped nearly 70% weekend over weekend. A new low for the franchise. Not sure if it's the largest drop in movie history (doubt it) , but it's got to be up there. Especially for a large franchise. 

Link to the thread?

And yeah, a new low indeed. It has to be bad word of mouth. It's Christmas too, which makes it worse.

OTBWY said:
thismeintiel said:

Link to the thread?

And yeah, a new low indeed. It has to be bad word of mouth. It's Christmas too, which makes it worse.

I'm on my phone so I can't link it, but here's the url. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=233799

I don't really buy the Xmas excuse, though. TFA also had Xmas fall on its 2nd weekend, yet only dropped ~40%.

Edit: Nvm, lol. Didn't know VGC automatically creates a link to it. Don't think it always did that. 

Now that I finally saw it I can partake in this conversation. I did think it was an interesting movie and an enjoyable one. But it was also deeply insulting my intelligence. They crammed so much bullshit in there that it wasn't even funny anymore. I know Star Wars has a history with Deus Ex Machina but they aren't even trying anymore. It's just contrived bullshit after contrived bullshit after physical impossibilities.

I think at this point the only think Star Wars has going for it is beautiful cinematography. And that's really all I expected and paid for.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.