By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Soooo did the Xbox One X succeed?

Xbox One sure is a succes in terms of performance in Third Party titles when compared to the PS4 Pro. The difference is clear and visable for anyone who doesn't have a clear bias.

The sales however are "decent" but not amazing, ps4 will keep selling more because of the name, populairity and overall better, more diverse options in exlusives.

The Xbox one and Xbox one X are not a failure but they are not a succes either, but at least what microsoft promised has come true and they are making sure third party games perform well, overall I would say as an owner of a Xbox one X console its a succes in terms of what microsoft promised and what they deliverd.

But I am sure it won't be a succes in terms of turning the tide of the already sunken ship of the Xbox One, we will have to see if Microsoft can re-join the fight next gen, like nintendo did with the Switch recently.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network
Snoopy said:
exclusive_console said:

I am not sure. You mean X will be 1080P and PS4P as 720-900P console in 3yrs time ?

I think when next gen comes there will be only few games that will still support it and moreover in 3yrs or so 4K user might become mainstream so very likely people will want a 4K console

This generation it took a while before we stopped supporting 360/ps3 games. The gap in power between xbox one x and ps5 will be about 3 years. Hell, they are supporting the switch right now with way weaker hardware. We already have 4k games with xbox one x. They will just downgrade the textures, lighting, ect to keep it at 4k for xbox one x. 4k is already pretty much confirmed main stream since it is being adopted at a faster rate than 1080p tvs. Hell, you can get a decent 4k tv for 500 dollars.

Honestly I can't see it happening. Current gen console CPU is so gimped. Next gen console will target 4K and hopefully have better gfx. I am pretty sure they will be BC too. X and Pro will become pretty irrelevant IMO though in many Asian countries I can see it selling. Sales will fall of the clip though. Switch is like a handheld and having big exclusive games. Their 3rd party support is still pretty pathetic.

OdinHades said:
Technarchy said:
[...]

I purchased an X1X because most of the games I play are 3rd party, and the X1X will typically have the best versions of those games.

However, I think it’s fair to say the differences between the X1X and PS4 Pro aren’t as big as they should be. The X1X is not being pushed and utilized correctly. Just dumping in more pixels is not enough. The overall experience and presentation should be superior across the board. 

Using PS4 Pro as feeder for X1X is okay for now, but by the end of 2018 I’m expecting to see titles that put a significant gap between PS4 Pro and X1X.

Devs can't fully use the hardware of the X1X, because the base X1 will always hold it back. All they can really do is throw more pixels at it. Which is why it won't ever have the chance to truly get a visible advantage over the PS4 Pro. Sony has the advantage of the more powerful base. 

In the short term, yes. In the medium term Microsoft has stated their goal is to eliminate traditional consoles generations and have a PC like cycle. It's entirely possible Xbox One could be around for another 12 years, with newer and more powerful GPU's and x86 CPU's every 4 years. At some point, we are going to get a "minimum specs" on boxes, and the OG will be retired and the X1X will be the baseline.

Further proof to my argument that Microsoft doesn't have the staying power mentality. Kinect was THE fastest selling peripheral, yet we now read they have officially killed off Xbox One compatibility - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-03-xbox-one-kinect-adaptor-officially-dead-now-too

Contrast that with Sony who are still publishing titles on, what is arguably, the "failed" PSVita. If Microsoft had released a PSVita equivalent, they would have killed it off after 3 years, like they did with Zune etc etc and the list of "good" killed hardware and software goes on. That is why we will continue to see Sony in the console space, long after the Microsoft has decided they don't want to come "3rd" anymore.

CartBlanche said:
Further proof to my argument that Microsoft doesn't have the staying power mentality. Kinect was THE fastest selling peripheral, yet we now read they have officially killed off Xbox One compatibility - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-03-xbox-one-kinect-adaptor-officially-dead-now-too

Contrast that with Sony who are still publishing titles on, what is arguably, the "failed" PSVita. If Microsoft had released a PSVita equivalent, they would have killed it off after 3 years, like they did with Zune etc etc and the list of "good" killed hardware and software goes on. That is why we will continue to see Sony in the console space, long after the Microsoft has decided they don't want to come "3rd" anymore.

As much as I love my two Vitas... the release of new Vita games in the last years has nothing to do with Sony's support of that device.

And where are all the Vita games published by Sony in 2016 and 2017?

The PS Move support on PS3 was also subpar.

Around the Network
Conina said:
CartBlanche said:

As much as I love my two Vitas... the release of new Vita games in the last years has nothing to do with Sony's support of that device.

PS Move is still being supported today, unlike Kinect, even though Move would be classified as a failure during PS3's lifetime, by most people. It has now transitioned into being used as part of PlayStation VR. Developers didn't know what to do with Move, rather than Sony dropping it. 

Re Vita: My point is Sony continues to support the HW. But let's compare Microsoft's support to Sony's. From the links you provide the last Sony published Vita title was 2015. Contrast that with Microsoft's last published Kinect title of 2013!! Again Sony was still publishing 2 years after Microsoft pulled their publishing plug. Also because Sony continues to make the hardware, other publishers can continue to publish games as recently January 2018 on Vita. With Microsoft stopping production and officially killing Kinect support, other publishers have NO choice but to not make games for it, even if they or other game devs wanted to. Like I said, Microsoft doesn't get the bigger picture and is short sighted in its approach and support of its devices and peripherals.

eva01beserk said:
nemo37 said:

You, perhaps unintentionally, explained why competition is important. If MS was left in the market by itself they would have likely succeeded with pushing DRM, mandatory Kinect, and probably so much more. Hence why competition from Sony (particularly Sony since they seem to be in very direct competition), Nintendo, and digital platforms like Valve's Steam has been useful because it provided consumers with choice and sent a strong message to MS (hence the 180 turnaround with many of the things they wanted to do with the One). Similarly, Sony, Nintendo, Valve and any other company should not be left alone because they will more than likely end up abusing their monopoly position. I am not going to predict if MS is going to stay in the hardware race or not (that will depend on how well Xbox is doing and how much it corresponds with the company's vision in the consumer space and gaming going forward), but I will say that more competition is a good thing because users will have choice and the Xbox's existence has contributed to that. Just as with Sony, Nintendo, Valve etc., I hope MS stays in the game and continues to provide competition.

My comment was not about how competition was not important, we all know it is. My comment was that MS offers nothing and has not been competitive, sony can pretty much do what they want and disregard MS at this point because they offer nothing that would put sony or nintendo even close to think of them in any differently than the ouya. 

Can you explain how they managed to sell almost 50% of what PS4 sold if they "haven't been competitive"? 

CartBlanche said:
Conina said:

PS Move is still being supported today, unlike Kinect, even though Move would be classified as a failure during PS3's lifetime, by most people. It has now transitioned into being used as part of PlayStation VR. Developers didn't know what to do with Move, rather than Sony dropping it. 

Re Vita: My point is Sony continues to support the HW. But let's compare Microsoft's support to Sony's. From the links you provide the last Sony published Vita title was 2015. Contrast that with Microsoft's last published Kinect title of 2013!! Again Sony was still publishing 2 years after Microsoft pulled their publishing plug. Also because Sony continues to make the hardware, other publishers can continue to publish games as recently January 2018 on Vita. With Microsoft stopping production and officially killing Kinect support, other publishers have NO choice but to not make games for it, even if they or other game devs wanted to. Like I said, Microsoft doesn't get the bigger picture and is short sighted in its approach and support of its devices and peripherals.

Vita has a market in Japan so there is actually a reason to continue producing it. Kinect seems to be dead everywhere. There is not really any reason to continue producing it. Also I think it is pretty clear that everyone who wanted to buy it already bought it so there won't be any growth in terms of Kinect userbase.

derpysquirtle64 said:
eva01beserk said:

My comment was not about how competition was not important, we all know it is. My comment was that MS offers nothing and has not been competitive, sony can pretty much do what they want and disregard MS at this point because they offer nothing that would put sony or nintendo even close to think of them in any differently than the ouya. 

Can you explain how they managed to sell almost 50% of what PS4 sold if they "haven't been competitive"? 

They've been selling 1/3 worldwide for most of the last year, much worse in relation than the past 3 years. VGC numbers are inflated anyway. And no, they didn't put up much competition in terms of exclusive games and that's what initially sells consoles, as sales of the other two competitors have clearly shown last year.

I don't even think that's a point of discussion, not even for MS fans.

Errorist76 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

They've been selling 1/3 worldwide for most of the last year, much worse in relation than the past 3 years. VGC numbers are inflated anyway. And no, they didn't put up much competition in terms of exclusive games and that's what initially sells consoles, as sales of the other two competitors have clearly shown last year.

I don't even think that's a point of discussion, not even for MS fans.

That always has been this way for Xbox One. In 2015 and in 2016 at least for sure. The majority of console sales is at the end of the year because Microsoft only releases their games in the period from September to December for some reason