By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What should I get next on the Switch?

Xenoblade is the best game on the Switch.

There's nothing interesting about the story in BotW. If it was a movie, you wouldn't watch it, so if that's what you care about, play something else. BotW is one of the best games in the franchise with one of the - I don't even want to say it's the worst because it's borderline non-existent - stories in the franchise. I'm being genuine when I say that ALBW has a better story with more attention paid to it.

Around the Network

Zelda. Best gameplay ever, no boring story to get in the way off great gameplay.

Tetris. 

If you have ever liked any open world game, get Zelda. It is unlike any Zelda before it in many many ways. Don’t think of it as a Zelda game if it helps. The feeling playing is unlike any game out there. There is a reason it is game of the year and vying for best ranked game of all time. Aside from that, if you can stand a bit of farm simulation, Stardew Valley could potentially eat up 50 or so hours of your time. There is actually a lot of unexpected content there.

Last edited by zygote - on 15 December 2017

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I also have my eyes on Mario + Rabbids and Fire Emblem Warriors, but I haven't tried them yet.  I know that Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U was one of the best games on that system, so I have high hopes for Fire Emblem Warriors too.

Mario+Rabbids is fun, if you like turn-based strategy and silly humour, this will work.

I myself compared Fire Emblem Warriors with Hyrule Warriors. But while I do like FE Warriors, it falls short compared to Hyrule in my personal opinion. What I say in the following may sound like spoilers, but all these things are happening from the beginning.

The main reason is, that in Hyrule Warriors you had a lot of different looking troops, and usually your troops and the foes where different. Say Gorons vs. these skeletons. This made instantly clear what happened. In Fire Emblem Warriors you have lots and lots of humans. They have exactly the same polygon-model. The only difference is they holding a sword, an axe, a lance, a bow or a wizards book. There are mounted units (hore, pegasus or wyvern), but that are usually the group leaders (of which are many on the map). A yes, some manaketes (also leaders) and some maps sport these monsters they introduce.

Another thing I miss from Hyrule Warriors are the big ass monsters that you need items to defeat (or at least they help). Maybe they come later, as I haven't played through yet FE Warriors, but in Hyrule Warriors they were there from the beginning with Dodongo in the first map. Also FE Warriors feels easier than Hyrule Warriors, although that may be subjective. And I don't mean the troops need many hit, easy in the way you manage your goals, which you do first. The only exception is these infamous map there you have to keep both enemy armies similarly strong or you lose, but that's just unfair. I remember in Hyrule Warriors I had to take out mages or a fort that controlled a catapult, or I would lose.

Even Anna is sort of a letdown. She has a similar function as the golden skulltulas in Hyrule Warriors. But while you only got the area the skulltula was in and had to search before it vaninshes, Anna is clearly on the map and holds no further challenge.

On the plus side, the pair-up system in FE Warriors is great, I like that. It offers additional options, as you can push buttons to make your paired unit attack (that has a cooldown) and it makes the special attacks cooler. That is great. All in all FE Warriors is still good, but I would say Hyrule Warriors is much better.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Xenoblade 2 is excellent, a few quirks but if you can get past them the game will consume you. It's an absolute monster of a game too. I'm 50 hours in and barely 2/3rds the way through the main story, with very few side quests completed. Zelda is fantastic as well.

Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe are pretty good (if you didn't play MK8 on Wii U or not much).

Puyo Puyo Tetris if you like Puzzle/multiplayer party games.

I'm curious to try Golf Story and Star Dew Valley as well. They both look like great games if you like Minecraft/Terraria types. Star Dew seems to have a lot of Harvest Moon influence which I'm not really into but if you are that's a no brainer.

Has Been Heroes is my sleeper hit. It's maddeningly frustrating and impossible to beat but if you appreciate games with a ton of gameplay and endless replay value (rougelike type games in particular), you might enjoy this one, plus it's cheap.

Just got Sonic Mania, enjoying that so far as well. Pretty solid recent Sonic game, alot better than Forces (ugh..)

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 15 December 2017

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

XC 2

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

xc2 is definitely the best game I've played on switch, followed closely by rabbids and botw. Since Rabbids seems to be getting some disounts I'd go for that one. xc2 if rich... although.... it's a friggen long game so good value for money.

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I also have my eyes on Mario + Rabbids and Fire Emblem Warriors, but I haven't tried them yet.  I know that Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U was one of the best games on that system, so I have high hopes for Fire Emblem Warriors too.

Mario+Rabbids is fun, if you like turn-based strategy and silly humour, this will work.

I myself compared Fire Emblem Warriors with Hyrule Warriors. But while I do like FE Warriors, it falls short compared to Hyrule in my personal opinion. What I say in the following may sound like spoilers, but all these things are happening from the beginning.

The main reason is, that in Hyrule Warriors you had a lot of different looking troops, and usually your troops and the foes where different. Say Gorons vs. these skeletons. This made instantly clear what happened. In Fire Emblem Warriors you have lots and lots of humans. They have exactly the same polygon-model. The only difference is they holding a sword, an axe, a lance, a bow or a wizards book. There are mounted units (hore, pegasus or wyvern), but that are usually the group leaders (of which are many on the map). A yes, some manaketes (also leaders) and some maps sport these monsters they introduce.

Another thing I miss from Hyrule Warriors are the big ass monsters that you need items to defeat (or at least they help). Maybe they come later, as I haven't played through yet FE Warriors, but in Hyrule Warriors they were there from the beginning with Dodongo in the first map. Also FE Warriors feels easier than Hyrule Warriors, although that may be subjective. And I don't mean the troops need many hit, easy in the way you manage your goals, which you do first. The only exception is these infamous map there you have to keep both enemy armies similarly strong or you lose, but that's just unfair. I remember in Hyrule Warriors I had to take out mages or a fort that controlled a catapult, or I would lose.

Even Anna is sort of a letdown. She has a similar function as the golden skulltulas in Hyrule Warriors. But while you only got the area the skulltula was in and had to search before it vaninshes, Anna is clearly on the map and holds no further challenge.

On the plus side, the pair-up system in FE Warriors is great, I like that. It offers additional options, as you can push buttons to make your paired unit attack (that has a cooldown) and it makes the special attacks cooler. That is great. All in all FE Warriors is still good, but I would say Hyrule Warriors is much better.

Thanks for this nice little review.    I am probably going to wait til the price drops and get it used then.  It still sounds good, but I really liked Hyrule Warriors, because it seemed a cut above the Dynasty Warriors games.  Perhaps FE Warriors is back down to par.

Great recommendations so far, I´d add:

Fire Emblem Warriors is a great action game, and as a plus it has local multiplayer.
Overcooked, in case you haven´t played it on PC or other platforms. A fun and chaotic indie game also with local multiplayer