By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is the poorest you have ever been?

Was poor when I first started working.

Proud to be a Californian.

Around the Network

After university. Good god, you think that 10-15k is a decent amount of money until you realize just how much it costs. Students loans... make me want to cry. Pretty sure I was paying onto them till last year, and even then I never ended up running my own business (helped my father sometimes, but sadly my dream has yet to come true). Anyway, I ended up in an office job, but student loans really make it hard to get a morgage. 

Anyway, things are better now. Still have a job that is meh at best, but it pays the bills.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Not that extreme in comparison to some others I guess...but after college, I worked technical aide/internship jobs before starting my career. After my first position ended (temporary job), I was living off my own savings for a few months while looking for something new, which wasn't very impressive since I was only an intern before then.

I managed to get a new job a few months later...but didn't receive a paycheck for about a month after starting due to the company being disorganized as all hell. I think about a week or so before I finally got paid, I remember going into Target to buy random groceries and essentials, only for my debit card to be declined. It was the first time in my life that happened, and it was honestly embarrassing to later find out I was overdrawn on my account.

Never had an issue like that since...but I'm also long past that point in my career. Still, I'm careful to leave myself a safety net now...just in case.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Oddly enough when I did work around 2009-2010. My health was failing and I was quite literally dying and I can't go into specific details, I wasn't able to get help. I worked a dead end job and often had maybe $4-30 in my account on a good day. On the bad ones, I have was 30 bucks in the negative. 7 years later despite perm heart issues, I'm happier than ever. It may not be a lot of money but now have a steady source and can get by.

Bristow9091 said:
I always seem to think I'm poor when I compare myself to my friends and people my age, they've all got their own houses and cars, go on holiday every year and still have enough money left over to buy whatever they like...

...Whereas I'm here without a house or car (No point buying a car anyway since I wasn't allowed to apply for my provisional until last year due to my epilepsy... it was sort of a setback, lol) and haven't been on holiday (Aside from work related) in fourteen years!

I mean, I have enough money to buy games (Although I very rarely buy day one, and most of the time will wait for things to drop below half price) and alcohol (It's been a necessity most of my life... yeah I have a problem, sue me) but I never feel like after I've paid my bills and done the food shop that I have enough money to just... buy something randomly. Like, I COULD do that, but don't feel comfortable enough with how much I'd have left since I always like to have a little something in reserve for emergencies.

But all that's about to change, I've been saving up pretty well this last year, and my girlfriend got herself an amazing job last year thanks to her degree, and next year we're buying a house AND I'm having my first proper holiday in what will then be fifteen years! She even actually came to me with the idea that I quit my job and go back to freelance art to make a little extra money while she brings home her wages from work (Which I shit you not, is a LOT), and yeah it's all well and good, would make my life easier, but I want to contribute properly and not feel like I'm a sponge that might just give something back if he feels like it.

tl;dr I've never actually been "poor", I've always had enough money, but never been comfortable enough with how much I've got to go on a spending spree or anything like that.

A great teacher of mine once told me that whatever you write in parentheses isn't important enough to be written at all. And if it is important, it shouldn't be in parentheses. Helped me a lot to clean up my writing style.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Was living at home and had virtually no monthly payments, but in my mid 20's I was essentially down to like $500. Let's just call it a post-college slump. Not in much better shape now if you factor in my graduate degree loans but at least I'm sort of nudging things in the right direction, fleshed out the resume a great deal with some job experience, and have accumulated a decent buffer of savings.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

I didn't realize how broke I was until I left my hometown in Cleveland. I lived with 3 of my brothers and we supported each other. However, I understood just how expensive life could be by yourself when I graduated and got my first real job in Charlotte, NC. My expenses were way too high. My monthly check was eaten away by taxes and my condominium rent made sure I was broke at the end of every month. I was scavenging food at work. Whatever I could grab to eat from left overs. I couldn't even afford to buy furniture (Max, makingmusic, and trashleg could attest to how empty my house was in 2013-2014). Furthermore I was going through -what I now see in hindsight- as my first and only round of depression in life. Being away from my family and social circle in Cleveland really did a number on my mental health.

Eventually I met my now wife in the latter half of 2014 and we got engaged later that year. During our engagement period she was across states with her parents and I was fucking broke as ever. I couldn't pay rent anymore and I was sleeping at work for a couple of months which really helped save a little bit of money for once.

I started looking for a second side job and an affordable place to live in the meanwhile. One day I went into a seafood restaurant. It was a franchise I actually worked at a decade ago in Cleveland so I had experience. Any who the owner and I got to talking and asked me if I knew anyone who was looking for a place to live. (moments and coincidences like this are honestly what give people faith in god imho). Long story short we become good friends, I help him with his restaurant work and in exchange he gives me a reduction on the place he's renting out.

I now have a place to live and I'm no longer in the negative each paycheck. I get married 2015 and my wife gets pregnant and my anxiety kicks in because I want to ensure my child has a financially stable life coming up in the world. I realize my job just ain't going to cut to support a third member to the family.

After months of researching and searching I get an international job in Dubai (My second language came in handy for once in my life). My job here gives me and family health insurance (something I've never had in my adult life living in the states). They pay for my housing, and I get a tax free salary.

I'm saving money and I'm planning on buying a house in America this coming year.
I've come a far way from being homeless in Charlotte and in a way I'm kind of thankful for that terrible experience because it literally was a turning point in my life. A turn for the better.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Depends what you mean... I have a mortgage, currently I owe lots of money. :P

But that does't count. Er... before I got a job, when I first moved to where I am now, had £1000 left from savings. For some of you this is a lot but I'm not only tight but lived at home before then so 'poorest' is relative, as in I'm sure I had less at some point but... you know at home being fed by parents.

Hmm, pie.

NATO said:

The day I was born, I didn't own or have anything of my own.

I've never been in debt so I've never owed more than I personally own in value, debt is for people who make poor choices.

Aldo driving on bald tires puts your life at risk, and every other road user and pedestrians life at risk, you're a selfish moron if you do that. 

You're a lucky and blessed man. Some people have no option but to struggle and owe money. Unfortunately, everyone can't be at the top of the food chain.

Damn, what some of you guys went through makes me feel privileged.