By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry vs Yooka Laylee on Switch

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-yooka-laylee-switch-port-analysis

"In the end then, Yooka-Laylee on Switch is an excellent port and one of the best examples of a large-scale Unity game on the system. Minor cuts are made in all the right places and frame-rate is kept mostly stable at 30fps. You'll definitely get the best overall performance on PS4 or Xbox One, but Switch manages to get very close, which is an impressive feat. It looks and plays well when docked, and while gaming on the go, it offers an experience the other consoles can't compete with.

The bottom line is that if you were on the fence with this game, or worried that it may not run well on Switch, you can rest easy - Playtonic's port is well worth your time."

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 December 2017

Around the Network

Nice, looks like they really put the effort in, I wasn't sure about it. I recommend this game if you do like classic 3d platformers. It's very underrated in my book.

curl-6 said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-yooka-laylee-switch-port-analysis

"In the end then, Yooka-Laylee on Switch is an excellent port and one of the best examples of a large-scale Unity game on the system. Minor cuts are made in all the right places and frame-rate is kept mostly stable at 30fps. You'll definitely get the best overall performance on PS4 or Xbox One, but Switch manages to get very close, which is an impressive feat. It looks and plays well when docked, and while gaming on the go, it offers an experience the other consoles can't compete with.

The bottom line is that if you were on the fence with this game, or worried that it may not run well on Switch, you can rest easy - Playtonic's port is well worth your time."

Crazy to think a game lambasted for its performance issues and lack of polish at initial launch would become a shining example of a high effort Switch port less than a year later.  Of all the devs to show how it's done, Playtonic was at the bottom of my list.

I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point and wouldn't surprise me if it becomes one of the free monthly games on xbox live gold or psn plus. Still think such a game should be 60fps though. It just seems like a game poorly developed on PS4 and xbox one that got a bit more effort on Switch. Does look good fun though although slightly irritating at times which I think is what is putting me off.

The price is what's stopping me.

Around the Network

I believe this version is developed by Playtonic and other versions are by Team 17. So essentially Rare developed a game for a Nintendo console again.

was a KS backer so i just got my key for it. re-playing zelda in hardmode though so will prob. be a while until i play it

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

Have they fixed the issue where you start the game and it's Yooka Laylee in this port?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Leave it to the Rare guy to optimize the hell out of Nintendo hardware, haha :D

I don't get why some people didn't like Yooka Laylee. When I look at the gameplay it looks like Banjo Kazooie in a bigger world to me.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
Leave it to the Rare guy to optimize the hell out of Nintendo hardware, haha :D

I don't get why some people didn't like Yooka Laylee. When I look at the gameplay it looks like Banjo Kazooie in a bigger world to me.

I can only speak for myself but I found it underwhelming. Some of the music is great and the character design -- particularly the designs of Yooka and Laylee -- is terrific.

But there are just a lot of inconsistencies, and a lot of weird designs decisions. Some of the graphics and textures look bad. The controls can be slippery and awkward. The game peaks in the first world and then slowly goes down from there. The fourth world, Capital Cashino, is just a mess. There are mine cart stages, ostensibly a nod toward DKC, but they're entirely unfun and almost broken. There are a bunch of arcade cabinets with mini-games -- a great idea in theory -- but the games aren't worth playing. Even the hub world is lame.

There are a lot of really good ideas at play in Yooka-Laylee, but they never come together to form a complete game. It's not terrible, mind you. It's got some cool missions, worlds, and boss fights. The characters are charming. Music is good. But if you're going to model your game after two of the best platform-adventure games ever made you need to turn in something better than this.