By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Has Retro Studios replaced Rare?

Yahoo! (Yes it has) 19 48.72%

D'oh, I missed! (It has not) 20 51.28%

Total:39

Rare were already replaced and people didn't realise it as Nintendo held their hand in a lot of the games they were developing this is why they were becoming an expensive asset to keep a hold of, when left alone their projects would run well past their deadlines and budgets as well to the point that some started out life on previous gen consoles.

This is more apparent with how wayward Rare became when bought by MS back then it seemed like a smart move by MS now we know they were sold dead wood.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Retro created Metroid Prime and that is up there with the best of Rare but Rare did it multiple times, over and over again. They'll never match the SNES and N64 Rareware/Rare. It's just impossible.

Not if they're given enough support and time it isn't.

Guitarguy said:

Thanks for the clarification :D Iguana + Rare were magic during the N64 era.

It helps that Turok and GoldenEye were released the same year. :)

Shadowman was also crazy ambitious for its time. The later PS1 port was baddddd.

Echoing VGP

Retro doesn't need to replace Rare, but what they are doing is good enough; they are making good games

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I can really only echo what other people in the thread have already said. While I personally like Retro more than I liked Rare (I loved some of their games, but was lukewarm on some - I've loved every Retro game so far), Retro's pace is extremely slow even by today's standard. It wasn't at first, but since the first Donkey Kong Country game they made, they've been extremely slow.

And the excuses that they'd be faster if they were bigger, well ... They've expanded twice since their last game release and Miyamoto went on record 2 or 3 years ago saying Retro were now big enough to work on two games simultaneously.

Hopefully whatever they're cooking up is extraordinary, because they've sure been keeping us waiting.

Looking at Rare, in comparison, they pumped out titles at an extremely rapid pace (which, admittedly, is not feasible in today's game development climate), and they also got to both experiment with their own ideas, work on classic Nintendo franchises and even use high-profile IPs (James Bond).

Across a 8-year span, Rare gave people great games in platforming, collectathons, kart racing, FPS, fighting and more. Retro just doesn't match that, even if I happen to like their titles as a whole more than I like Rare's as a whole.

With all that said, Rare really does not exist anymore, and Nintendo cutting them loose when they did was perfect foresight. Hopefully we get to see more amazing stuff from Retro in the future, they haven't streered me wrong yet.

Back in Retro's prime I would've said yes, but they've faded since then to what could charitably be called a memory, and less charitably, a complete joke. They've released just one game in the last seven years, which is frankly pathetic for any studio.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 December 2017

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
I've long thought the transition from Rare to Retro was amazingly smooth and successful.

Rare was hemorrhaging talent in 2000-2002, and was proving too expensive to fund or to buy. So Nintendo strikes a deal with former Iguana employees to satisfy the market Rare had previously served. The result: one of the best games ever made in Metroid Prime.

I never understood why folks bemoaned Nintendo passing on Rare in 2002, when Retro proved a perfect substitute. Seriously, Nintendo went from Banjo-Tooie and Perfect Dark in 2000, to Conker in 2001, to Metroid Prime in 2002. That's amazing.

Retro has proved remarkably durable over the last 15 years, producing great game after great game. Meanwhile, Rare has become mired in mediocrity. I think it speaks volumes to Nintendo's stewardship, and how it's essential for Retro's success and how it was vitally important to Rare's golden age -- along with, of course, the leadership of the Stampers and some of the best game designers, programmers, and composers in video game history.

The IP alone is what made RARE. Nintendo could have bought them out and hired new talent to continue those franchise. Microsoft effectively killed them off. Nintendo on the other hand needed more games during the Wii / Wii U era. Those franchises are still classics (especially on the N64) and Nintendo would not have left them to die like Microsoft did.

No studio is a replacement for Rare of the mid-to-late 90's. They were just unbelievable. They even rivaled and in some ways surpassed Nintendo quality of games. I can't think of any other studio able to do that. And they did it on a bunch of new franchises as well as some Nintendo franchises. Just unbelievable!

CaptainExplosion said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Retro created Metroid Prime and that is up there with the best of Rare but Rare did it multiple times, over and over again. They'll never match the SNES and N64 Rareware/Rare. It's just impossible.

Not if they're given enough support and time it isn't.

Nope. Rareware created DKC... a game that singlehandedly saved Nintendo in the US. 007, Perfect Dark, Banjo... Retro has been around for more than 15 years now and hasn't released a game that changed the industry in the way Rare's games did. If it was going to happen, it would have by now.

Just as with stocks "Past Performance Is Not Indicative Of Future Results".

Yes, Rare were great.

But that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....

I know that Rare died a long time ago but how anybody can take this comparison seriously is beyond me... Kids these days.
Retro Studios is not even half of what Rareware used to be.

Rare CREATED Donkey Kong Country, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo, Battle toads, Killer Instinct, Diddy Kong, Conker, Star Fox Adventures (Dinosaur Planet) all by themselves that even Miyamoto felt challenged and pressured by coworkers to make games like Rare.

Retro Studios while a talented studio have yet to prove anything really, Metroid Prime was the idea of Miyamoto and produced by Miyamoto and Tanabe. DKCR was also the idea of Tanabe and a return of an already well established franchise by Rare and....... That's it, not one game of their own.

If anyone has replaced Rareware it's Nintendo itself, it's not Nintendo + Rare anymore just Nintendo.

Last edited by Snoorlax - on 13 December 2017