By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Sells 10 Million Units Worldwide

V-r0cK said:
Something's not right. Zelda BotW only sold around 4M copies. Why are there 6M Switch owners that do not own this game??

Zelda on Switch was at 4.7 Million as of the end of September, it will have sold much more by the time this 10 million mark was hit.

Speaking as a Switch owner who didn't buy Zelda for it, my reasoning was simple; I already owned Zelda on Wii U.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Good for Nintendo, but not good for those who care to have better hardware. If one can expect flaws in one's system of choice to be improved on the next time they release new hardware cause they want to keep motivation of people to buy it, well Nintendo does not have to worry about that. Why improve hardware, just create new concepts (which is fine, don't get me wrong on that) Why improve current flaws? People are going to buy the machine anyways.
Examples: Why better battery life? 3 Hours for games like Zelda is fine, people buy it regardless, Why choosing better CPU's and GPU's. The Tegra 1 chip chosen was already outdated by the Tegra 2 chip when the Switch was released. But Nintendo still went for the inferior Tegra 1 and did that stop the sales? Nope. Why making a home system, a dedicated one I mean? People don't seem to care about that, they seem to think some kind of cross system is the same as an actual home system. About chatting, everybody including some Nintendo fans agree that their solution to chat in online play using cables and a smart phone, is bad, really bad but does that stop the system from selling? Nope, so why even bothering to implement a simple chatting system as you see on PC/PS4/Xbox? No reason since people buy it anyway. Ok then at least this hardware means a cheap retail price? Nope, it's as expensive if not more expensive than other systems that are way more powerful like the PS4...

Bottom line is that the only true winner here is Nintendo, fans not so much and hardcore gamers, not at all.
Too bad cause I would have loved to one day explore the realms of BOTW or play Mario in his Odyssey or play that 4th episode of Metroid Prime as I really enjoyed the first 3 episodes back when I had a GameCube and later on a Wii. My hopes so far were that one day Nintendo would make better hardware that would bring their games to modern day graphics but Why would they do that? What motivation for them to do that? There's always a slim chance that they do cause no one can tell for sure what will be done in 5 or 10 years from now but the chance is small really small...

Speaking as both a fan and a core gamer, I consider myself to be a winner in this; I'm getting to play awesome games like Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, and Xenoblade 2, and since the system has a bright future thanks to its design, I'll be able to enjoy robust software support going forwards.

On the other hand, if Nintendo had made a dedicated console and a dedicated handheld, there would be far fewer games for the former as Nintendo's development teams would be split between the two instead of focused on one device, and since there isn't (and never has been) room on the market for three similar systems to flourish, the console would be pretty much a guaranteed flop and as such would suffer from the same miserable software droughts as Wii U. 

Around the Network

As a VERY proud Switch owner this makes me all giddy and warm and bubbly inside. In all seriousness tho, good job, Nintendo! Mario and Zelda are phenomenal games, and both killer apps in their own rights. I would still like to see something a little more concrete for their 2018 game slate. Momentum is HUGE right now. I'd like to see 2017 followed up in a massive way. Congrats Nintendo! 10 million and counting...

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Holy fuck! And this shit was having stock problems in Japan! Imagine without having it.........

Now Bring Animal Crossing for May 2018 and Pokemon for November 2018! And wait for that number to get trippled!!!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

curl-6 said:

On the other hand, if Nintendo had made a dedicated console and a dedicated handheld, there would be far fewer games for the former as Nintendo's development teams would be split between the two instead of focused on one device, and since there isn't (and never has been) room on the market for three similar systems to flourish, the console would be pretty much a guaranteed flop and as such would suffer from the same miserable software droughts as Wii U. 

I don't remember a drought back when the Wii or the Game cube or better yet the Nintendo 64 was on the market and Nintendo had handhelds back then too with their teams split up between both systems.

And 10 years ago 3 home systems were flourishing together, the Wii the PS3 and the Xbox360.

And to completely murder this last argument, just a friendly murder of course The market is now even bigger than it was 10 years ago so whatever the figures of that past gen, the figures can potentially be even bigger now that the video games industry has grown further in size.

RolStoppable said:

You have posted in my mega-thread that addressed all the people who believed that Switch would have a hard time to sell more than 40m units. Said people accounted for the majority before the launch of the Switch.

I don't know if your memory is bad or if you are outright lying, but you come across as quite desperate in your arguments. Saying something like "Nintendo should be concerned (...)" when Switch performance is in line with their increased forecast is detached from reality. It's like you have no grasp of sales at all.

"It's like?" More like he, as well as many others, absolutely have no grasp of sales at all.

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
curl-6 said:

I don't remember a drought back when the Wii or the Game cube or better yet the Nintendo 64 was on the market and Nintendo had handhelds back then too with their teams split up between both systems.

And 10 years ago 3 home systems were flourishing together, the Wii the PS3 and the Xbox360.

And to completely murder this last argument, just a friendly murder of course The market is now even bigger than it was 10 years ago so whatever the figures of that past gen, the figures can potentially be even bigger now that the video games industry has grown further in size.

N64, GC, and Wii all had droughts. And games were less complex and took less time and resources to make back on those systems.

Wii/PS3/360 could only all do well cos Wii was nothing like the others, they filled different niches.

Doesn't matter how big the market gets, there's never room in one niche for three consoles.

curl-6 said:

N64, GC, and Wii all had droughts. And games were less complex and took less time and resources to make back on those systems.

Wii/PS3/360 could only all do well cos Wii was nothing like the others, they filled different niches.

Doesn't matter how big the market gets, there's never room in one niche for three consoles.

I don't remember scarcity in those days, but then again I played less games back then so you could be right.

And I guess games indeed took less time and were less complex to make.

As for the Wii being nothing like the others okay, so that goes well with my point which is to hope for Nintendo to make a dedicated home system, just do one that is "different" and not the same as the others if being too similar could jeopardize its success

CrazyGamer2017 said:
curl-6 said:

Everything you said is wrong

N64, GC & Wii are all known for having droughts.

10 years ago PS3/360 were doing just ok while Wii was doing great then a few years later PS3/360 started to pick up the pace while Wii began to decline.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

CrazyGamer2017 said:

As for the Wii being nothing like the others okay, so that goes well with my point which is to hope for Nintendo to make a dedicated home system, just do one that is "different" and not the same as the others if being too similar could jeopardize its success

That's easier said than done though; I mean I don't know about you, but I certainly can't think of a better idea than a hybrid in terms of how to differentiate the system in a way that's both desirable and allows it to hit a different niche than PS4/Xbone. The Wii U tried to be different, and it crashed and burned.

zorg1000 said:
Everything you said is wrong

N64, GC & Wii are all known for having droughts.

10 years ago PS3/360 were doing just ok while Wii was doing great then a few years later PS3/360 started to pick up the pace while Wii began to decline.

Just ok? The PS3 sold over 80 million units, same with the Xbox 360 and the Wii did 100 million units. If that does not show that 3 home systems can be successful together then nothing will.

As for the drought I already answered that in my previous post.