By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Sells 10 Million Units Worldwide

Great news for the switch, great news for gamers, great news for games.

To the dude moaning that there is no dedicated home console, I don't think mine has ever left its dock, and it's still the best value for money console I have owned.

To those who say it is overpriced, I paid more for my ps4 after fallout 4 launched, with 1 game, than I did for the switch on launch day, with two games and a second controller.

Its not fair to compare the system prices as they are now, new hardware will always cost more, but drops away as manufacturing improves

Comparing the cost to the launch costs of the two other consoles shows its amazingly well priced and given its already fantastic game catalogue it is excellent value.

These sales will only improve, Japan is still supply constrained, and we haven't had a host of top games (as listed by others) yet, adding to the lists posted, monster hunter will shift consoles, especially in Japan.

And for the first time since the 64 we will see more than one Zelda on a console I would imagine, being that the console and handheld divisions have merged. Rinse and repeat for Mario games etc.

However the tribalism is absurd in this thread from a select few, so I will just add that I still enjoy my ps4 also, that should deflect some hate.

Around the Network

So, fairly comparing PS4 and NS first year sales seems a bit difficult.

I think there are two official numbers that we should remember considering PS4 first year sales :

- 13.5 shipped as of September 30th 2014. - 14.4M sold through as of November 22nd 2014 (before black friday I think...).

And then we have to hope for official Switch numbers at the end of 2017 (to compare to the 13.5M PS4 shipped) or the end of February 2018 (to compare to the 14.4M PS4 sold through).

At those time points, both consoles will only have one holyday season. Did I get that right ?

There is still the late Japanese PS4 release that will bias things a bit but considering the numbers PS4 did in Japan in 2014 it should not be that bad (compared to the huge numbers both consoles are pulling worldwide).

Whoever the winner is, both had a wonderful first year and numbers will be close. I hope NS can keep pace because this will be a fun race to watch (and a positive one).

Dr.Vita said:

Now everyone is laughing about the Wii U while 2 years ago everyone was defending it...
What a mendacious world... lol

Yeah, like vita. Wonderful 

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Good for Nintendo, but not good for those who care to have better hardware. If one can expect flaws in one's system of choice to be improved on the next time they release new hardware cause they want to keep motivation of people to buy it, well Nintendo does not have to worry about that. Why improve hardware, just create new concepts (which is fine, don't get me wrong on that) Why improve current flaws? People are going to buy the machine anyways.
Examples: Why better battery life? 3 Hours for games like Zelda is fine, people buy it regardless, Why choosing better CPU's and GPU's. The Tegra 1 chip chosen was already outdated by the Tegra 2 chip when the Switch was released. But Nintendo still went for the inferior Tegra 1 and did that stop the sales? Nope. Why making a home system, a dedicated one I mean? People don't seem to care about that, they seem to think some kind of cross system is the same as an actual home system. About chatting, everybody including some Nintendo fans agree that their solution to chat in online play using cables and a smart phone, is bad, really bad but does that stop the system from selling? Nope, so why even bothering to implement a simple chatting system as you see on PC/PS4/Xbox? No reason since people buy it anyway. Ok then at least this hardware means a cheap retail price? Nope, it's as expensive if not more expensive than other systems that are way more powerful like the PS4...

Bottom line is that the only true winner here is Nintendo, fans not so much and hardcore gamers, not at all.
Too bad cause I would have loved to one day explore the realms of BOTW or play Mario in his Odyssey or play that 4th episode of Metroid Prime as I really enjoyed the first 3 episodes back when I had a GameCube and later on a Wii. My hopes so far were that one day Nintendo would make better hardware that would bring their games to modern day graphics but Why would they do that? What motivation for them to do that? There's always a slim chance that they do cause no one can tell for sure what will be done in 5 or 10 years from now but the chance is small really small...

Yeah, I want Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4 in 4k/60fps. When will it happen?

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Good for Nintendo, but not good for those who care to have better hardware. If one can expect flaws in one's system of choice to be improved on the next time they release new hardware cause they want to keep motivation of people to buy it, well Nintendo does not have to worry about that. Why improve hardware, just create new concepts (which is fine, don't get me wrong on that) Why improve current flaws? People are going to buy the machine anyways.
Examples: Why better battery life? 3 Hours for games like Zelda is fine, people buy it regardless, Why choosing better CPU's and GPU's. The Tegra 1 chip chosen was already outdated by the Tegra 2 chip when the Switch was released. But Nintendo still went for the inferior Tegra 1 and did that stop the sales? Nope. Why making a home system, a dedicated one I mean? People don't seem to care about that, they seem to think some kind of cross system is the same as an actual home system. About chatting, everybody including some Nintendo fans agree that their solution to chat in online play using cables and a smart phone, is bad, really bad but does that stop the system from selling? Nope, so why even bothering to implement a simple chatting system as you see on PC/PS4/Xbox? No reason since people buy it anyway. Ok then at least this hardware means a cheap retail price? Nope, it's as expensive if not more expensive than other systems that are way more powerful like the PS4...

Bottom line is that the only true winner here is Nintendo, fans not so much and hardcore gamers, not at all.
Too bad cause I would have loved to one day explore the realms of BOTW or play Mario in his Odyssey or play that 4th episode of Metroid Prime as I really enjoyed the first 3 episodes back when I had a GameCube and later on a Wii. My hopes so far were that one day Nintendo would make better hardware that would bring their games to modern day graphics but Why would they do that? What motivation for them to do that? There's always a slim chance that they do cause no one can tell for sure what will be done in 5 or 10 years from now but the chance is small really small...

Ps4 at launch is 300$? That's new to me

Around the Network
Ivant said:
 And for the first time since the 64 we will see more than one Zelda on a console I would imagine, being that the console and handheld divisions have merged. Rinse and repeat for Mario games etc.

Wii had two Zeldas also (TP and SS)

Spindel said:
Ivant said:

Wii had two Zeldas also (TP and SS)

So did GC lol so hes way off

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

HoangNhatAnh said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

Yeah, I want Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4 in 4k/60fps. When will it happen?

There's a good chance it will happen if the PS5 launch is anything like the PS4 launch. So according to crazy's logic, we shouldn't play these titles now because we might them in better resolution in the future.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 13 December 2017

Signature goes here!

Downplay it's an art that clearly not everyone can perform.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

curl-6 said:
V-r0cK said:
Something's not right. Zelda BotW only sold around 4M copies. Why are there 6M Switch owners that do not own this game??

Zelda on Switch was at 4.7 Million as of the end of September, it will have sold much more by the time this 10 million mark was hit.

Speaking as a Switch owner who didn't buy Zelda for it, my reasoning was simple; I already owned Zelda on Wii U.

How dare you support a dead console! jk I thought about getting Zelda for the Wii U as well but I decided to get it for the NS.  I think it sold pretty well on the Wii U too actually.