By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it safe to say Amiibo are dead?

Never been in a Walmart. I thought it was a store that only weird people went to in order to make fun of on the internet. I didn’t even know they had video games.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
GProgrammer said:
zorg1000 said:

You may want to double check some of those statements, Nintendo just gave figures for them at the last quarterly report and they were up YOY.

Fake news

2016 Q3 9.9 million

2017 Q3 3.8 million

they were massively down, in fact they've been down every quarter this year.

Are they dying? Yes the evidence says they are

No they arent. It was less amiibo compared to other years. The amiibo still selling alot.

Edit: being down dont mean its bad. Its just less releases.

Have a comparison of releases for each quarter and list amiibo of which ones. It would be a better comparison

pokoko said:
I'm doubtful. Diehard Nintendo fans will still buy them up, even if they are a relative failure for their original purpose. If demand drops, Nintendo can simply throttle the supply, thus making them "collector's items" and upping their perceived value.

There is also the ugly chance Nintendo might give them more in-game value to counteract falling demand, as well, which would mean more and better locked content.

Nah you have some times were its weird but for the most its not as bad as you think. Look at SMO for example, that was easily the best game to do what you said. A 10mil seller and they had 3 amiibo to come out with it. And all those 3 did was unlock something that comes out (outfits) after you beat the regular campaign

I don't think they're dead, but they're definitely slowing down. I suppose Nintendo mainly stocks amiibo of certain games for only a certain period of time, or in limited stock, which is terrible since it's just made it hard for me to get figurines I want. I think they'll continue releasing amiibo for upcoming games, which has its pluses and minuses. The plus side, people who like the characters, and the minus side, having certain content behind them, ranging from minor to rather appealing.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

My local area target and Best Buy stores have become pretty barren lately of them with only a tiny selection so perhaps they might be going away after all. Guess we’ll know more next e3 if Nintendo decides to keep supporting them.

Around the Network

There are still new amiibo coming out, so no they aren't dead

They definitely are not as popular as they once were, that's for sure

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Platina said:
There are still new amiibo coming out, so no they aren't dead

They definitely are not as popular as they once were, that's for sure

Look at the ones thats released. All Zelda ones (30th year anniversary) are sold out. All the player 2 ssb are as well. Depends on which ones. Even the Metroid ones arent found easily. But mario wedding are

Hope not, I'm still waiting for a restock for link majora's mask, skyward sword and twilight princess version

Not dead, but Nintendo probably isn't going to be pushing them out to retailers or making as many as they did in the past.

This year is slower due to Wii U and 3DS declining significantly. But as the feature continues to pick up on Switch, so will Amiibos.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.