By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I think it's time for Nintendo to invest in new development teams

They can't buy IPs like Ace Attorney, that's unrealistic. And Sega will never sell Bayonetta.
They need to strike aggresive deals with 3rd parties for games and only games, not IPs.
Why not invest in dead franchises like Darksiders, the new System Shock that is struggling to be released, Deus Ex, Fear Effect, Suikoden, Streets of Rage, Jade Empire, Vampire: The Masquerad, Time Splitters, a Chrono Trigger remake. They need to show versatility, not only japanese stuff. Use that Switch money. Most of those games are not huge sellers, but they bring hype, goodwill and improve the library. Plus, those games would never be released anyway.

Around the Network
jardesonbarbosa said:
They can't buy IPs like Ace Attorney, that's unrealistic. And Sega will never sell Bayonetta.
They need to strike aggresive deals with 3rd parties for games and only games, not IPs.
Why not invest in dead franchises like Darksiders, the new System Shock that is struggling to be released, Deus Ex, Fear Effect, Suikoden, Streets of Rage, Jade Empire, Vampire: The Masquerad, Time Splitters, a Chrono Trigger remake. They need to show versatility, not only japanese stuff. Use that Switch money. Most of those games are not huge sellers, but they bring hype, goodwill and improve the library. Plus, those games would never be released anyway.

Now TimeSplitters,  that I'd love!!

jardesonbarbosa said:

Why would buying Ace Attorney be unrealistic?

They need to buy Shin'en Multimedia for starters.

It was time for that in like, the SNES era when Sega was doing great by founding studios sile Sega Technical Instute.

It was a good idea then and it is still a good idea.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
pokoko said:
Honestly, I think buying up studios all over the place is a thing of the past. I don't think it's been good for the gaming industry to have so much under a few umbrellas. We've seen many publishers become bloated and inefficient to the point that they've had to close multiple locations.

I believe the future is going to be full of "second-party" contracts and collaborations. Publishers and platform holders can commision games and if things don't work out, they can walk away without further financial obligations. Studios can pick what they want to work on or pitch their own proposals without being forced into assignments.

I really don't see any need for Nintendo to expand all that much and they certainly don't need to "buy Sega" or anything like some people are proposing.

Ah, so essentially we're past the direct colonization phase, and have moved onto the neo-colonization phase, where they don't officially own the smaller developers and publishers, but they exert great influence on them.

Exactly.  The peons are much happier when they believe they govern themselves.

Ka-pi96 said:
jardesonbarbosa said:

Why not? If they were that attached to it I'd assume they'd be funding/making new games in the franchise themselves rather than all but abandoning it unless Nintendo funds it.

Why would they, though?  Right now, they're making something off Bayonetta without lifting a finger.  Sega is basically a pimp.

They should by Capcom

;)

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I don't really see a reason for them to buy a developer or an IP. I would like them to hire people and make new teams that could make new IPs though.

I think forming new teams is a better option than buying ones. In particular, I wanna see them start new European/American development teams. Some of Nintendo's most iconic games (Metroid Prime, DKC, etc) came from Western developers that combined Nintendo's unmatched game quality, and the naturally different ideas that make up games in the West.

peachbuggy said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Easier said than done. If Tajiri was willing to sell I expect Nintendo would have already done so. If he isn't willing to sell though... there isn't a thing they can do.

Makes total sense to me as well. Far too many game devs are happy to sell out as soon as an offer comes in, I'm glad he's got the desire to remain independent.

Afaik, Nintendo used to have a controlling stake in GF but sold some of their shares.  I would say it would be a good idea to buy more again so they had the controlling stake again.

erhmmm why the emphasis from a few of you about Nintendo buying Gamefreaks stakes? you all do realize that Nintendo owns all of the Pokemon trademarks (i.e. the characters and names themselves), so it's sort of irrelevant if they own Gamefreak or technically the entirety of Pokemon. Gamefreak/Pokemon Company cannot make any Pokemon games or deals without Nintendo (or they'd have to make a game without the name 'Pokemon' or any of the creatures). Unless you're just suggesting that Nintendo tries to fully own Gamefreak so they can be 100% in control of what direction Gamefreak goes with the next few Pokemon games (i.e. pushing them to go 'bigger' with larger steps). But even with that, I'm fairly sure Nintendo already can hypothetically make Gamefreak go along with what they say if they want. Again, Gamefreak can't publish Pokemon games, Nintendo owns the IP as far as names/images.  People often seem to be unaware that Nintendo obviously has it's own small division that works soley in relation to the Pokemon Company AND Gamefreak. They are involved with the processes of the games always

as far as the thread in question: I'm torn. Does Nintendo REALLY need to invest in new development teams? I don't know. what's the advantage to that versus just hiring talented second party dev teams? I don't see a huge difference. Maybe in special cases, like possibly going for a medium buy by attempting to acquire an acclaimed development studio that has like none of it's own IPs (maybe like Platinum games?). But beyond that? really small third party dev teams are going to be sort of an unknown quantity and from Nintendo's perspective why would they bother to fully take them in when they can just hire them for oddjobs as needed? and then as far as bigger development teams that are already part of largeish third party studios- you would either have to outright buy the third party company OR pay a handesome amount for one of their talented teams... neither seems like a great option if you can simply continue to just outsource work to them

in the end I guess it depends on your goal. If you think that Nintendo really needs to push hard on developing big Western aimed games, some more adult aimed shooters or adventure games- then it might make sense for them to attempt to acquire another Retro like Western or European studio. But if you're simply saying that Nintendo needs to invest in new dev teams to get more games- that's not necessarily true. They can easily outsource more work if they want to, and frankly with Nintendo's output all going into one system moving forward (from the former being both home and handheld), there's really no reason they shouldn't be able to put out a steady stream of games

I think the discussion at this point should be less about building up a ton of dev teams as much as it should be about potentially acquiring certain IPs.  If Capcom doesn't do great with Monster Hunter World, for example, Nintendo might want to consider a bid for the franchise (that's only assuming Capcom is in a bad financial position). Similarly, Konami is basically sitting on a horde of great dead IPs. It would be extremely logical for Nintendo to attempt to buy some of them from Konami (i.e. Contra, Castlevania, Bomberman, Adventure Island, DDR, Zone of the Enders)

Nintendo could probably pretty easily reinvigorate franchises like Contra and Castlevania and they would feel incredibly at home in a Nintendo system library