By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I think it's time for Nintendo to invest in new development teams

Honestly, I think buying up studios all over the place is a thing of the past. I don't think it's been good for the gaming industry to have so much under a few umbrellas. We've seen many publishers become bloated and inefficient to the point that they've had to close multiple locations.

I believe the future is going to be full of "second-party" contracts and collaborations. Publishers and platform holders can commision games and if things don't work out, they can walk away without further financial obligations. Studios can pick what they want to work on or pitch their own proposals without being forced into assignments.

I really don't see any need for Nintendo to expand all that much and they certainly don't need to "buy Sega" or anything like some people are proposing.

Around the Network

Much as i would love to say Nintendo should buy Namco and/or Capcom, i think their best course of action would be to invest in a European developer to try and get a better foothold into Europe. They still haven't replaced RARE and i think it would be a good investment to try and buy all or part of the team that made Snipperclips (Their name escapes me rn.). A lot of potential there. Also, if they haven't done already, buy a controlling stake in gamefreak.

As for old franchises, it depends how far you want to go back. Personally i would love a brand new Earthbound, Excite truck and "Wars". Also, Star tropics looks interesting. For different reasons i think some of these would be impossible though but there are loads of old franchises i would like to see return, practically all of them! (Wave race, pilotwings, F-Zero, etc. etc.)

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

I would prefer if they bought an indie studio and gave them the resources to become a major developer. Shin'en is a perfect nomination from my vantage.

Other than that, no. Nintendo has enough development studios and buying more is completely unnecessary. Hell, Retro and Next Level Games are pretty much absent on Switch thus far and the release output has been nothing short of excellent throughout this year. I think they will be fine if they decide not to buy any development studio.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

They should invest in new WESTERN studios. They have such a strong catalogue of Japanese themed games but they need to pull in some of that Uncharted/Horizon/Call of Duty/etc crowd that focuses on games built with a Western audience in mind.

If they do this, their library of games will be even more diverse and robust than Sony's and Switch's users will be as diverse as the system itself.

I don't think they will or need to. People buy a Nintendo console to play totally different kind of games than for the "core" gaming consoles. Sure, it would be great to have Call of Duty on it but the sales will be negligible so that's why many 3rd party publishers aren't even bothering. Switch owners buy anything with Mario in the title and Zelda games and that's about it. Just look at how many copies of Fifa were sold on the Switch, or Bayonetta2 on the WiiU for that matter.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
peachbuggy said:

Much as i would love to say Nintendo should buy Namco and/or Capcom, i think their best course of action would be to invest in a European developer to try and get a better foothold into Europe. They still haven't replaced RARE and i think it would be a good investment to try and buy all or part of the team that made Snipperclips (Their name escapes me rn.). A lot of potential there. Also, if they haven't done already, buy a controlling stake in gamefreak.

As for old franchises, it depends how far you want to go back. Personally i would love a brand new Earthbound, Excite truck and "Wars". Also, Star tropics looks interesting. For different reasons i think some of these would be impossible though but there are loads of old franchises i would like to see return, practically all of them! (Wave race, pilotwings, F-Zero, etc. etc.)

Easier said than done. If Tajiri was willing to sell I expect Nintendo would have already done so. If he isn't willing to sell though... there isn't a thing they can do.

Makes total sense to me as well. Far too many game devs are happy to sell out as soon as an offer comes in, I'm glad he's got the desire to remain independent.

Afaik, Nintendo used to have a controlling stake in GF but sold some of their shares.  I would say it would be a good idea to buy more again so they had the controlling stake again.

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

I would rather see Nintendo start new studios.

The gaming industry is ever growing, and Nintendo surely would have access to a wealth of talent, new and old if they asked.

Ka-pi96 said:
peachbuggy said:

Afaik, Nintendo used to have a controlling stake in GF but sold some of their shares.  I would say it would be a good idea to buy more again so they had the controlling stake again.

I've never heard that before. Regardless, it's not a publicly traded company so there's not that many shareholders and if they don't want to sell... they won't.

Trying to find out info about who owns GF is a bit... murky. I did read somewhere online Nintendo had a controlling interest in GF but sold some shares. Not sure if it was right or not though.

seems like ive been hearing this every year for many years. I don't think its necessary now that all their dev teams only have 1 platform to develop for as opposed to two

I think nintendo should give as the Nintendo SCD.