By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2017 NPD Thread! PS4 > XBO > Switch

thismeintiel said:

Good that we have more concrete numbers. The Switch doing ~750K-770K with little to no stock issues points to it being more in line with the 3DS than the Wii/PS4. Definitely not a bad thing, but it should keep some people's expectations in check.

How does that point to it being more in line with 3DS than PS4?

All three had very similar numbers in their first November.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
quickrick said:
Agente42 said:

look the history.

2d mario sells better than 3d mario

In Wii, in DS, In 3DS and in Wiiu also

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/wiiu.html

they sell about the same, but mario odyssey is a super hyped beast there it's most likely 2d mario won't come close. 

Don`t remember 2d mario in wii?

The 2d Mario in 3ds and Wiiu was half assed games. With low buget, recicling assets, music, low effort, etc. Even so, it sold more than the 3D versions. Now imagine a Mario 2D AAA, with interesting news, online coop, mode versus (as in DS, but online now), etc.... what damage would not do in sales?  2D mario is so important and inconi thai in Super Mario Odissey has several stretches in 2d.

Agente42 said:
quickrick said:

they sell about the same, but mario odyssey is a super hyped beast there it's most likely 2d mario won't come close. 

Don`t remember 2d mario in wii?

The 2d Mario in 3ds and Wiiu was half assed games. With low buget, recicling assets, music, low effort, etc. Even so, it sold more than the 3D versions. Now imagine a Mario 2D AAA, with interesting news, online coop, mode versus (as in DS, but online now), etc.... what damage would not do in sales?  2D mario is so important and inconi thai in Super Mario Odissey has several stretches in 2d.

i won't mention wii. that thing was sold out for 2 years, anything packed in sold a shit ton (NSMW). 

quickrick said:
Agente42 said:

look the history.

2d mario sells better than 3d mario

In Wii, in DS, In 3DS and in Wiiu also

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/wiiu.html

they sell about the same, but mario odyssey is a super hyped beast unlike any mario title since 64. it's most likely 2d mario won't come close. 

And what happens if Nintendo gives the next 2D Mario the same treatment they gave Odyssey instead of the rehashed entries 3DS/Wii U recieved? It could very well go back to selling 20+ million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

hudsoniscool said:
thismeintiel said:

Good that we have more concrete numbers. The Switch doing ~750K-770K with little to no stock issues points to it being more in line with the 3DS than the Wii/PS4. Definitely not a bad thing, but it should keep some people's expectations in check.

I'd say the XBOX underperformed, especially when many thought it would do ~600K. Yes, it was more expensive than the Pro, BUT it had more than a year to build up hype (as opposed to a month), had more time to build up preorders than the Pro (~2 months vs 1), and was an easier sell to Xbox fans looking to upgrade. It MAY do better than the Pro's 20% of PS4 sales, but that doesn't mean much if the XBO still looks like it will end up ~50M or so.

Some of u guys r really reaching with saying it underperformed 

pro 260k- 399

x 430k- 499$

The justifications for this just doesn't make sense. In November 2016 a PS4 was going for 250-300. this November a xb1s went for 190-230. What's the harder sale u tell me:

play a better version of the same PS4 game for 100-150$ More

or

play a better version of the same xb1 game for 270-310$.

honestly it's a wonder this even broke 200k.

You're not putting things into full context.  The Pro not only had stock issues at launch, as Sony underestimated demand, but it also launched just a month after it was announced.  Sony didn't really push it all that much, most likely because they didn't want to alienate their normal users that may have thought they were being abandoned.  MS, on the other hand, have talked about pretty much nothing but the X for a year and a half.  They had around an extra months worth of preorders to go towards launch numbers.  They also made sure that they had plenty of stock for launch.  And the fact that the power gap is much more significant over the base model, plus gave the power bragging rights back to Xbox fans, made it an easier sell.

The important thing is the X is not going to do what MS wanted it to do, reinvigorate XBO sales.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

they sell about the same, but mario odyssey is a super hyped beast unlike any mario title since 64. it's most likely 2d mario won't come close. 

And what happens if Nintendo gives the next 2D Mario the same treatment they gave Odyssey instead of the rehashed entries 3DS/Wii U recieved? It could very well go back to selling 20+ million.

like i said before sales of 2d mario and mario kart on wii were inflated because of how big of a hit wii was, the thing was sold out for 2 years, and anything packed sold a shit ton.

flashfire926 said:
DonFerrari said:

So 2/3 of the 650k expected was on USA.

If we add 80k of UK launch week, the rest of the world (plus the remaining UK november weeks) weeks have to do 140k more to hit the prediction. That seems about right. More or less what was expected

Yep about what we expected, just surprised that USA have concentrated even more than usual, but BF makes this happen.

CGI-Quality said:
tbone51 said:

Sorry bur you worded it like it was around that looking at that post! 

Either way, 800-830K is in the ballpark of what's been talked about for a good few days now. 

And that some were attacking as being false and to bash Nintendo. But the more balanced users that put 800k as a very good first holiday were the majority.

Bandorr said:
So with this numbers does that mean "Switch had its best month ever since launch"?

The numbers are less than that of the launch numbers. But higher than every other month.

Making this the second best month of this year?

Yes, second best month so far.

jason1637 said:
1X did more than I expected and those sales are from a little over a week so its probably over 500k. Expected 350-400K for it. Hopefully the momentum continues.
Also Switch did good too but sorta shocked that the base Xbox One S outsold it. Expecting switch to have a really good December though.

I would say it done about expected after the estimatives of 650k WW

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

like i said before sales of 2d mario and mario kart on wii were inflated because of how big of a hit wii was, the thing was sold out for 2 years, and anything packed sold a shit ton.

What about the DS versions? Were they inflated too?

Also those games sold a shit ton before being packed in.

thismeintiel said:
hudsoniscool said:

Some of u guys r really reaching with saying it underperformed 

pro 260k- 399

x 430k- 499$

The justifications for this just doesn't make sense. In November 2016 a PS4 was going for 250-300. this November a xb1s went for 190-230. What's the harder sale u tell me:

play a better version of the same PS4 game for 100-150$ More

or

play a better version of the same xb1 game for 270-310$.

honestly it's a wonder this even broke 200k.

You're not putting things into full context.  The Pro not only had stock issues at launch, as Sony underestimated demand, but it also launched just a month after it was announced.  Sony didn't really push it all that much, most likely because they didn't want to alienate their normal users that may have thought they were being abandoned.  MS, on the other hand, have talked about pretty much nothing but the X for a year and a half.  They had around an extra months worth of preorders to go towards launch numbers.  They also made sure that they had plenty of stock for launch.  And the fact that the power gap is much more significant over the base model, plus gave the power bragging rights back to Xbox fans, made it an easier sell.

The important thing is the X is not going to do what MS wanted it to do, reinvigorate XBO sales.

they never once said that. I don't think anyone expects it to keeps selling well at that price.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

thismeintiel said:
jason1637 said:

Most people expected it to do 400kish based on how it sold in the UK. Where are you getting that most people expected 600k?

Did I say most?  No.  You are claiming most said 400K, though.

And there were a few on here (don't remember names) that were predicting 600K+, going by its position on Amazon in the months preorders went live.  I'd say the average prediction, at least from what I saw was 500K-600K.  Either way, it underperformed given how much hype and advertising MS tried to put behind it.  It's pretty much all they talked about for over a year.

Sorry I got most and many mismatched lol but still I don't think many were expecting 600k. Maybe a few but not a lot.