By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2017 NPD Thread! PS4 > XBO > Switch

hudsoniscool said:
thismeintiel said:

Of course that's what they wanted it to do.  Otherwise they wouldn't have shit away the S's sales in favor of promoting it so heavily so far ahead of launch.

Some wild assumptions there man. Xbox had its best November ever but not its best month ever which means total sales are about 1.3-1.5 million. That means s sales where at 900k-1.1 million. Last year it only did 1 million so how exactly is that shitting away the S.

Oh, my bad.  I forgot that the S has only been on sale starting this Nov.  And the XBO has not been down for the whole year.  Thanks for correcting me there.  /s

Around the Network
reviniente said:
thismeintiel said:

Did it bomb?  No.  But it did underperform.  Remember, this is the thing MS has been hyping for a year and half.  Yet, it didn't really do much for XBO sales.  Sure, it had its best Nov, but that was mostly due to the $189 S.  It also doesn't seem to be reinvigorating XBO sales, as its still looks like its on the same trajectory it was on before, selling less than half of the PS4.

And, pray tell, what is the measure (and I mean numbers) of what this 'underperforming' mid-gen console launch should've done in order to impress you? At $100 more than the Pro, while we're at it?

I think the 600K number some were predicting actually would have been a good launch.  That not only takes into account that the price was too high for a 800K-1M launch, but also the huge amount of hype/ad push MS put behind it.  It would have also added some credibility to those who were saying previous months for the XBO were down so low because people were just waiting for the X.  With a number below 450K, it doesn't look good for the XBO savior.

thismeintiel said:

Good that we have more concrete numbers. The Switch doing ~750K-770K with little to no stock issues points to it being more in line with the 3DS than the Wii/PS4. Definitely not a bad thing, but it should keep some people's expectations in check.

You came to this conclusion based on this? Lol. 

Switch and ps4 has literally sold through the same amount (9months) at the same time and another thing to point out is ps4 first nov (exclude launch) was roughly the same sales. You canr dismiss the wii/ps4 comparison because switch sold 750k+ (and ut could be closer to 800k fyi)

Edit: amd switch is full price too while 3ds was originally cheaper and had a major price cut as well as taking a loss. They arent even comparable. I get its too early to call it the next wii/ps4 but to dismiss it because it didnt sell what a million in the US for a nov? Cmon

thismeintiel said:
zorg1000 said:

Regardless if PS4 did slightly better, they still did similar numbers.

None of them had stock issues in their first Nov. 

Thats fine if you think that but using a single month where PS4 sold <10% higher to come to that conclusion is rather silly.

Well, it's not just the one month.  You also have to remember that the Switch's stock issues have probably gone on longer than just about any console.  Only in Oct did Nintendo start to get them under control.  So, there should have been a lot of pent up demand for the Switch this Nov, yet with enough stock in stores, the Switch still didn't perform as well as the PS4. 

I guess, really, we'll have to see how it performs in Dec.  Going on how well Nintendo performs in Dec, I guess it should easily do 1.2M+.

If stock issues were sorted out in Sept/Oct than i dont see why that would mean pent up demand in Nov.

Overall Switch will sell ~4.5 million in 2017 in the US which is right in line with 3DS (4.1m), XBO (4.3m) & PS4 (4.7m).

In other words we really cant assume anything since all 3 of those did similar while all having vastly different trajectories.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

DS sold a 155 million units and the only 3d mario game there was a remake, so not a valid comparison.

Or what about the fact that 2D Mario has sold over 30 million 3 times, over 20 million 4 times, over 15 million 6 times.

3D Mario has never done over 13 million.

lets keep in with the the last 7 years, in the last 7 years there have been a bunch of 2d mario games on 3ds and wiiu, and they been doing 3d mario numbers.

Around the Network

The numbers being discussed here are STILL too low. Switch did much better than 900K. Why doesn't the industry get press coverage of the actual numbers? A summary of Nielsen TV ratings is discussed by the media nearly every day of the week. Why no mention of game sales? Let's all complain to the video game outlets and maybe they will FINALLY do a better job.

Anyway, Switch had a good month. Not a "great" month, but a good month, that we can all be proud of. Hopefully December will be even higher!

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

Or what about the fact that 2D Mario has sold over 30 million 3 times, over 20 million 4 times, over 15 million 6 times.

3D Mario has never done over 13 million.

lets keep in with the the last 7 years, in the last 7 years there have been a bunch of 2d mario games on 3ds and wiiu, and they been doing 3d mario numbers.

A bunch? You mean 1 on 3DS & 1 on Wii U?

Also why would we limit our 30+ years of data to an arbitrary time frame of 7 years?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

thismeintiel said:
hudsoniscool said:

Some of u guys r really reaching with saying it underperformed 

pro 260k- 399

x 430k- 499$

The justifications for this just doesn't make sense. In November 2016 a PS4 was going for 250-300. this November a xb1s went for 190-230. What's the harder sale u tell me:

play a better version of the same PS4 game for 100-150$ More

or

play a better version of the same xb1 game for 270-310$.

honestly it's a wonder this even broke 200k.

You're not putting things into full context.  The Pro not only had stock issues at launch, as Sony underestimated demand, but it also launched just a month after it was announced.  Sony didn't really push it all that much, most likely because they didn't want to alienate their normal users that may have thought they were being abandoned.  MS, on the other hand, have talked about pretty much nothing but the X for a year and a half.  They had around an extra months worth of preorders to go towards launch numbers.  They also made sure that they had plenty of stock for launch.  And the fact that the power gap is much more significant over the base model, plus gave the power bragging rights back to Xbox fans, made it an easier sell.

The important thing is the X is not going to do what MS wanted it to do, reinvigorate XBO sales.

You're grasping at straws. The quote from the Resetera forum (from where we take the sales figure) puts PS4Pro sales, this November, at around 260,000 (or 65% less than the X). The X did better wether launches are aligned or not. And ultimately, isn't SONY responsible for managing the ill conceived launch of their own console? And what's with that 'The important thing is the X is not going to do what MS wanted it to do, reinvigorate XBO sales.' line? Are you really that emotionally invested in 'winning' the generation?

*Edited launch from lauch.

Last edited by reviniente - on 15 December 2017

thismeintiel said:
hudsoniscool said:

Some wild assumptions there man. Xbox had its best November ever but not its best month ever which means total sales are about 1.3-1.5 million. That means s sales where at 900k-1.1 million. Last year it only did 1 million so how exactly is that shitting away the S.

Oh, my bad.  I forgot that the S has only been on sale starting this Nov.  And the XBO has not been down for the whole year.  Thanks for correcting me there.  /s

Marketing for the x was completely non existent until October other than conferences, so in other words 99% of the public had no ideas about it. The s has been down all year because it's in decline/ poor exclusives this year.

it was discounted this November.... just like last November, yet it's flat. Try again man.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

thismeintiel said:
hudsoniscool said:

they never once said that. I don't think anyone expects it to keeps selling well at that price.

Of course that's what they wanted it to do.  Otherwise they wouldn't have shit away the S's sales in favor of promoting it so heavily so far ahead of launch.

Should they have botched the launch of the X? Say like, 'releasing it too soon after it was announced', or 'with very little marketing', or 'underestimating the demand' the same way SONY did with the PS4 Pro release? And if they didn't care for the S sales, why lower the price to $189?