By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2017 NPD Thread! PS4 > XBO > Switch

PortisheadBiscuit said:
quickrick said:

LOL your gonna be surprised dude when switch sales are gonna fall of a cliff in 2018. 2017 will be nothing like 2018, weather you wanna believe it or not 2017, is nintendo best line up ever, and also a new system launch that didnt meat demand for months, because most nintedo fans wanted one, so sales were inflated month to month, because day one buyers couldn't get it one.

Meat demand? Could've sworn this was the NPD thread, I guess I wandered into the butcher thread... 

Pork loins were the big item on Black Friday

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Meat demand? Could've sworn this was the NPD thread, I guess I wandered into the butcher thread... 

Perhaps quickrick can give us that anecdotal data on those too? Seems to know everything, even before it happens

PortisheadBiscuit said:
quickrick said:

LOL your gonna be surprised dude when switch sales are gonna fall of a cliff in 2018. 2017 will be nothing like 2018, weather you wanna believe it or not 2017, is nintendo best line up ever, and also a new system launch that didnt meat demand for months, because most nintedo fans wanted one, so sales were inflated month to month, because day one buyers couldn't get it one.

lmao i'm a bit high that was funny though.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
zorg1000 said:

Perhaps quickrick can give us that anecdotal data on those too? Seems to know everything, even before it happens

I would like to know if pork loin will be up next year or did it peak already?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
ThisGuyFooks said:

Or the Switch launching with a retail price of 399$

Remember all the people that said $299 for Switch was way too high and it would fail because of it?

Now all of a sudden its only doing this well because its $299?

I remember that pretty well. The general consensus was that Switch need release with $249 and a game bundled or else will fail.

Some even were saying to drop to $200. 

Of course people don't remember because those narrative was buried just after we have the numbers.

Remember "Switch launch was to quite"? Or Nintendo creating artificial demand? Switch owners desperate for games?

They will never learn and will always change their narrative instead of accepting that Nintendo created a great console.

Last edited by 160rmf - on 09 December 2017

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
160rmf said:
zorg1000 said:

Remember all the people that said $299 for Switch was way too high and it would fail because of it?

Now all of a sudden its only doing this well because its $299?

I remember that pretty well. The general consensus was that Switch need release with $249 and a game bundled or else will fail.

Some even were saying to drop to $200. 

Of course people don't remember because those narrative was buried just after we have the numbers.

Remember "Switch launch was to quite"? Or Nintendo creating artificial demand? Switch owners desperate for games?

They will never learn and will always change their narrative instead of accepting that Nintendo created a great console.

I still think the price is too high. I never thought it will fail though. I at least felt it wopuld do much better than the WiiU and kinda be somewhere in between the wii and 3ds.

Still feel the price is to high for what it is. But hey, nintendo does what nintendo does.

If anything i was under the impression the switch would be winning november and december if it could have enough stock. Color me shocked that it did have stock but didn't win.

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

2018 will probably be a repeat of 2017.

Switch wins most months according to NPD.

PS4 wins a few and is competitive even in the months it loses.

XBO goes back to a distant 3rd most months unless a big price cut or something happens that gives it a win for 1 or 2 months.

There are a few problems with your assertion. Sales of a console do not simply fall off the cliff if the company has a backlog and continues to support the system. The 3DS started its first year with a new Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, Monster Hunter, etc. Its second year did not result in sales suddenly falling off the cliff. Nintendo's games have legs and they can carry a system (particularly when bundled at competitive prices). Moreover, if demand starts to drop Nintendo can simply drop the price and introduce value bundles with existing games that are out (December will be a big test of that; should Nintendo not go over a million in December, assuming stock is available, then that is clearly a sign that Switch needs a price cut in 2018). Furthermore, Nintendo still has plenty of aces that move consoles. 2D Mario, Smash Bros, Pokemon, 2D Zelda, Animal Crossing etc and potentially new IP (not many people thought Splatoon would end up becoming a console seller) all have the potential to do even more not to mention the possibility for sequels. Niche games like Bayonetta and Fire Emblem will attract the smaller bases that support those games to the system. 

The inflation argument makes absolutely no sense. PS4 was sold out for several months after its launch, where its sales inflated because Sony fans wanted one and could not get one on day one or perhaps there was a greater interest by a wider audience? The answer is quite obvious that overall demand was higher, as it is with Switch hence why the systems were selling out. If it was only a small group of people buying the system (the Nintendo fans that purchased Wii U) this system, at this production level, would have been nowhere close to selling out to begin with.

I think the biggest threat to Switch right now is its price. How big of a threat that is will be seen in December where sales have to increase substantially to meet their target. Should sales not substantially increase in December on good stock then it likely means the system is bottlenecked by its price. This bottleneck clearly played a role in these November results, assuming that you are correct in that stock was plentiful throughout November, then the PS4 to Switch gap can largely be explained by the price of the PS4 during BF ($199) week versus Switch's price ($300).

Mar1217 said:
I'm surprised no mod has locked this thread yet, after looking at the arguments going in circle. The fun will be renewed when the true numbers from NPD analysts will arrive.

It seems that you’re expecting the numbers to be hugely different from what’s been reported.

Mar1217 said:
I'm surprised no mod has locked this thread yet, after looking at the arguments going in circle. The fun will be renewed when the true numbers from NPD analysts will arrive.

I don't think true numbers are relevant though. it will be a different ball game if the order is switched up.

quickrick said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

lmao i'm a bit high that was funny though.

Now you're going to get harassed by vegan extremists.