By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2018 Seems to Be the Year Switch is Focusing on the Core Gamer

After busting on to the scene with its heaviest hitters (Mario kart, Zelda, Mario) 2018 seems to be the ice cream to go with the cake. The entire Bayonetta series under one roof, a new core fire emblem, yarn Yoshi, Kirby, Wolfenstein, Lost Sphear, and possible releases of the next pikmin and Metroid Prime 4 and I'm pretty damn excited for the coming year. Nintendo is not resting on their asses here and if you ask me Sony and MS both have a serious problem on their hand with the new challenger.

Games are fun.

Around the Network

Just give me Pokemon action RPG. I want to control the Mons in combat and flight.

For Nintendo's sake it's best that they don't focus on the so called "core gamer" for the Switch ...

Hopefully they'll have either Animal Crossing or a 2D Mario game ready, ideally both for next year ...

Switch needs to expand it's demographics to succeed ...

I dont think so, I think they will want to expand Switch interest to core gamers, but also to family and casuals in same time.

I have to agree with the others. While there are a couple games that are more "niche" than Nintendo's regular offerings, their games succeed by in large because they appeal to hardcore and casual gamers. Hardcore gamers and casuals will join Switch next year, and if Animal Crossing or 2D Mario or Pokemon release, than so will many families and newer consumers.

Around the Network

So far only thing they've announced are niche titles. I'm sure they'll have something big for the holidays and maybe something for spring or summer, but after all they've given right now it seems they're giving the niches some love. There hasn't even been whisper of an animal crossing game nor a 2d Mario. Only other major sellers they have are smash and Pokémon.

Games like Bayonetta and Fire Emblem sell consoles as well, just not to the level of Mario. Nintendo clearly wants everybody, I mean, those core gamers buy the most games. Hell I already own a good 17

Games are fun.

fatslob-:O said:
For Nintendo's sake it's best that they don't focus on the so called "core gamer" for the Switch ...

Hopefully they'll have either Animal Crossing or a 2D Mario game ready, ideally both for next year ...

Switch needs to expand it's demographics to succeed ...

Agreed. I also think a Switch Sports would be very successful. Maybe also a new WarioWare.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Weren't they doing that already this year with Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

itsyounghavok said:
So far only thing they've announced are niche titles. I'm sure they'll have something big for the holidays and maybe something for spring or summer, but after all they've given right now it seems they're giving the niches some love. There hasn't even been whisper of an animal crossing game nor a 2d Mario. Only other major sellers they have are smash and Pokémon.

Games like Bayonetta and Fire Emblem sell consoles as well, just not to the level of Mario. Nintendo clearly wants everybody, I mean, those core gamers buy the most games. Hell I already own a good 17

They will definitely have some some titles for spring and summer, we will know more at next Nintendo direct most likely in January. I mean they announced Bayonetta 1 and 2 basically only 2 months before launch.

Sony has a serious problem? All the games you listed are nothing compare to the amount of quality games sony have for 2018. Ill be getting ni no kuni 2, dragon ball fighter z, monster hunter world and final fantasy dissidia in January, just the month of January!