By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2018 Seems to Be the Year Switch is Focusing on the Core Gamer

friendlyfamine said:

which probably will single-handedly ensure that Wii U sales don't entail.

I'm pretty sure the Switch is well past that point buddy.

Around the Network
TheBraveGallade said:
Zach808 said:

Once multiple installments start breaking the 1 million (or even 2 million) barrier, like what happened with the more recent ones, I think it's safe to say it's no longer niche.

So is persona no longer niche cause P4G broke 1.7 mil and p5 broke 1 mil

I don't think so. Constant 1 mil is not enough. Constant 3 mil plus is more like it. Metroid is niche, probably one of the more popular niche franchises but still niche. It always breaks 1 mil usually breaks 2 but never breaks 3 mil.

The Persona series ain't niche anymore either. Million-seller games aren't niche.

The JRPG genre ain't niche per se... or are the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series also niche? 

Conina said:
TheBraveGallade said:

So is persona no longer niche cause P4G broke 1.7 mil and p5 broke 1 mil

I don't think so. Constant 1 mil is not enough. Constant 3 mil plus is more like it. Metroid is niche, probably one of the more popular niche franchises but still niche. It always breaks 1 mil usually breaks 2 but never breaks 3 mil.

The Persona series ain't niche anymore either. Million-seller games aren't niche.

The JRPG genre ain't niche per se... or are the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series also niche? 

Considering Dragon Quest hardly gets out of Japan I'd say it is niche to Japanese gamers.

PAOerfulone said:
Zach808 said:

Can Fire Emblem really be called niche anymore? It seems to have crossed over to the mainstream ever since the 3ds happened. I'm pretty sure it can be considered a heavy hitter at this point.  Sure, maybe it isn't a Pokemon or Mario Kart, but it's still a pretty popular franchise now.

Depends on what the definition of 'niche' is. Which is impossible because everyone has their own idea of what is niche. 

Well by definition every game is niche, as every game fills it's own niche, as does every genre fills it's own niche

fatslob-:O said:
Mnementh said:

Agreed. I also think a Switch Sports would be very successful. Maybe also a new WarioWare.

Nah, retreading the sports franchise won't do anything since it didn't improve WII U's prognosis ... 

What Nintendo needs to do is to make more content that people want to buy instead of focusing on functionality like their Wii days. The reason why titles such as Brain Age, Nintendogs, Wii Sports went out of favour compared to Mario, Pokemon or Animal Crossing is because consumers did not see the value in the former's content and thus found easily replaceable alternatives on other platforms ... 

Nintendo needs to create new concepts that are not easily replaceable such Splatoon for an example and capitalize on their unique IPs ...

Disagree wholeheartedly. They update Wii Sports, make it $20, it'd sell huge. Wii Sports is a nostalgia piece already. Many millions of people look back and think fondly of endless hours playing Wii Sports with friends. Wii U being a failure has nothing do to with Wii Sports U. I'd pick up a $20 Wii Sports update day 1. Take out Baseball, maybe add in a few new sports, make it online, golf course builder you can share online, more to the boxing game (and better controls), more golf courses, more options in general for the games, and definitely definitely control your character in tennis because that ruined tennis on Wii Sports. Full price title sure it wouldn't sell very well, but as a budget $20 or even $30 it'd be a great addition to the Switch library that wouldn't take up too many resources at Nintendo and would sell millions easy.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
fatslob-:O said:

Nah, retreading the sports franchise won't do anything since it didn't improve WII U's prognosis ... 

What Nintendo needs to do is to make more content that people want to buy instead of focusing on functionality like their Wii days. The reason why titles such as Brain Age, Nintendogs, Wii Sports went out of favour compared to Mario, Pokemon or Animal Crossing is because consumers did not see the value in the former's content and thus found easily replaceable alternatives on other platforms ... 

Nintendo needs to create new concepts that are not easily replaceable such Splatoon for an example and capitalize on their unique IPs ...

Disagree wholeheartedly. They update Wii Sports, make it $20, it'd sell huge. Wii Sports is a nostalgia piece already. Many millions of people look back and think fondly of endless hours playing Wii Sports with friends. Wii U being a failure has nothing do to with Wii Sports U. I'd pick up a $20 Wii Sports update day 1. Take out Baseball, maybe add in a few new sports, make it online, golf course builder you can share online, more to the boxing game (and better controls), more golf courses, more options in general for the games, and definitely definitely control your character in tennis because that ruined tennis on Wii Sports. Full price title sure it wouldn't sell very well, but as a budget $20 or even $30 it'd be a great addition to the Switch library that wouldn't take up too many resources at Nintendo and would sell millions easy.

What they should do is make it like Go Vacation! where your on Wuhu Island and you can travel to events by different vehicles.  You could always have a quick launch screen at the start but also have a roaming mode.

friendlyfamine said:
pokoko said:
It's true. Yarn Yoshi and Kirby will likely pull a lot of people away from God of War, Far Cry, Spiderman, and Red Dead Redemption.

I don't think anyone was meant to imply that the Switch will be competing with what the PS4 is premeditated to release next year. It most likely can't, but that doesn't mean the Switch's next year can't be good. Right now the lineup for the Switch (TBD) are: Kirby Star Allies, Yoshi 2018, Fire Emblem 2018, some new core Pokemon, Project Octopath Traveler, Pikmin 4, Bayonetta ports 1&2, Bayonetta 3, Shin Megami Tensei 5, No More Heroes 3, Metroid Prime 4 - and then there are other third party ports (not exclusives) that can act as fillers, like Wolf 2. Half of these will probably be for 2019 but Nintendo did say they would talk about 2018 titles when it actually emerges (probably at their next Direct) so this is just reassurance that we will be getting something. For example, Tropical Freeze was announced and came a few months later. I wouldn't hold a candle at anything big releasing next year to compete with GoW, RDR or Spiderman, but if Nintendo did release Pokemon next year (which I will be shocked if happens) it would sell endlessly. We all know that Pokemon isn't a GOTY contender either, but it sells. All Nintendo need to do next year is maintain good sales, and 2019 will probably be bombshells.

Animal Crossing would probably be enough to survive next year plus the other titles, but that's not going to stop people from buying a PS4. More like being a HUGE system seller in Japan and the female demographic which probably will single-handedly ensure that Wii U sales don't entail.

The OP said directly that,"if you ask me Sony and MS both have a serious problem on their hand with the new challenger."  Yarn Yoshi and Kirby were listed as evidence.  Now, personally, I have no problem with those games and have no doubt they have their audience, it's just that I have doubts that it's the same audience that the titles I listed target.  

I also don't get the glee some people show over the possibility that the Switch might be in direct conflict with the Xbox and PS4.  That would hurt all of them, not just the Xbox and PS4.

If the OP wants to convince me that Sony and Microsoft are going to take a major hit next year because of the Switch then I'm going to need to see something more compelling to back up that claim.

There are still a few titles that I'd like Nintendo to make. Specifically a new F-Zero, and a horror game. One thing that I'd also love from Nintendo is a more traditional 2D or 3D fighting game.

sethnintendo said:
friendlyfamine said:

which probably will single-handedly ensure that Wii U sales don't entail.

I'm pretty sure the Switch is well past that point buddy.

I mean, that the Switch consistently sells the way it is now, and doesn't decline to less than 100k weekly due to the lack of system sellers. Right now, it's looking very unlikely that there will be that gleaming *wow* title for the Switch next year that will push units like Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Splatoon did for this year. I'm expecting quantity to push next year forward, but again, anything is possible. Hopefully, they can get an Animal Crossing out by next year. Nintendo really need a new IP like Splatoon was at the time to reinvigorate the interest of some consumers. Nintendo should try making an FPS or a character action game.

Not really. I'd say 2018 will be where Nintendo will focus on reinforcing the Switch's universal appeal to a wider audience. So expect more casual focused/quirky titles like Kirby, Yoshi, and more in 2018.