By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Nintendo Switch will still FAIL

Will the Switch fail just like the WII U?

Yes; without a strong 3rd party support 35 18.52%

No; Switch does not need 3rd party support 84 44.44%

Other 54 28.57%

See Poll Results 16 8.47%

Total:189

You seem to be forgetting about Pokemon which we are all told is coming to the Switch possibly next year and is basically the biggest exclusive on any console sales wise.

If Pokemon comes out in November of 2018 then the Switch is gonna win Holiday 2018.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
squibbfire said:

xbox will be lucky to hit..50 million next year ...and its been out as long as ps4....you think nintendo will be able to match that? with a fraction of 3rd party exclusives..?

final question....do you own a wii u.....?

XBO will be happy to reach those 50M. They got a shot now that the ONE X is out, but before it's release, even at current sales it would need to sell steadily until 2020 to get to 50M.

Switch is selling much better than the XBO ever did. In 7 months it sold close to as much as the XBO did in its best year while not even having a holiday season yet and being heavily supply constrained for months after launch (and still is in Japan to this day). It's quite possible that the Switch will overtake the XBO in 2019, or even 2018 if they really are going to ship and sell over 20M consoles that year.

Switch is an inversion of the XBO. Switch doesn't have all the multiplats, but instead has lots of first party titles, and of great quality to boot. Unlike the multiplats which only offer a short boost the first party titles keep on selling and push the baseline up and up and over. Just have a look at Kristof's Sales comparision chart: Switch is largely in front of the XBO, which was just selling better early on due to holiday launch boost and Switch supply problems, but since then the Switch has build up a 3 million lead before even hitting the holiday season.

2018? 8.2 million +20 million is 28. million. I think the switch could be happy to sell 15 million in 2018 and same for 2019, so more reallistic is 12-14 million......

squibbfire said:
If a next gen Pokemon games comes out on switch instead of DS. Nintedo will have a decent generation...if pokemon is still released on DS...yeah don't look too good for switch.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/10/19/pokemon-ultra-sun-and-moon-will-be-the-last-core-pokemon-game-for-3ds/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/13/e3-2017-a-core-pokemon-rpg-is-in-development-for-nintendo-switch

adisababa said:

I kinda agree with you, it does not have strong 3rd party support, Nintendo hasn't really hit the casual gamer market as yet. Say what you want about shooters but they are the reason many consoles are bought, not for the exclusives, not for the power, it really is for the casual gamer who plays sports games, GTA online, the yearly FPS and the occasional open world RPG and that's the demographic for consoles really.

Another thing about the Switch that I don't like is the social experience, it downright sucks. The Xbox social hub is great and looks like a Facebook or Instagram of game clips and club invites but the switch is wow it is disastrous, there is no feeling of community or social interactivity in any way, that app thing is bullshit, impractical and counter-intuitive.

I know you all probably have heard of it a million times at this point, but the Switch has zero power, AAA developers and games are continually pushing boundaries in visuals, AI, bigger open worlds and the switch doesn't stand up to the task in any way.

Most gamers love amazing graphics, it's flashy, eye-popping and it's so much easier to market because it looks fricking amazing. It is a very important criterion for many gamers (especially casuals) when buying games. Sure people like Uncharted 4 for its story and gameplay but it's undeniable that people love it for the graphics too. Witcher 3, FH3, Battlefield 1 sell well not only because they are good games but also because they are visually stunning. (worked extremely well in favor of Witcher 3 since they weren't well known or triple A). 

The Switch will probably never have games of that visual caliber and it's 2017 where those visuals are getting more and more accessible even for something like the Xbox One (the weaker mainline console). 

So yeah, while Zelda is fricking amazing (didn't play SMO because not really into platformers), the Switch will not have legs beyond 2018 in my opinion especially when it's against the likes of RDR 2, Anthem, Battlefield 2018, Cod 2018, God of War, Spiderman, Days Gone, Metro, GTA online, Rainbow Six Siege and probably a few more.

Dont forget Halo 6^^ Normally next year ther should be a new Halo Game if they hold up to their 3 years Production circle. And my Secret Tip State of deacy 2 could be amazing!

adisababa said:

I kinda agree with you, it does not have strong 3rd party support, Nintendo hasn't really hit the casual gamer market as yet. Say what you want about shooters but they are the reason many consoles are bought, not for the exclusives, not for the power, it really is for the casual gamer who plays sports games, GTA online, the yearly FPS and the occasional open world RPG and that's the demographic for consoles really.

Another thing about the Switch that I don't like is the social experience, it downright sucks. The Xbox social hub is great and looks like a Facebook or Instagram of game clips and club invites but the switch is wow it is disastrous, there is no feeling of community or social interactivity in any way, that app thing is bullshit, impractical and counter-intuitive.

I know you all probably have heard of it a million times at this point, but the Switch has zero power, AAA developers and games are continually pushing boundaries in visuals, AI, bigger open worlds and the switch doesn't stand up to the task in any way.

Most gamers love amazing graphics, it's flashy, eye-popping and it's so much easier to market because it looks fricking amazing. It is a very important criterion for many gamers (especially casuals) when buying games. Sure people like Uncharted 4 for its story and gameplay but it's undeniable that people love it for the graphics too. Witcher 3, FH3, Battlefield 1 sell well not only because they are good games but also because they are visually stunning. (worked extremely well in favor of Witcher 3 since they weren't well known or triple A). 

The Switch will probably never have games of that visual caliber and it's 2017 where those visuals are getting more and more accessible even for something like the Xbox One (the weaker mainline console). 

So yeah, while Zelda is fricking amazing (didn't play SMO because not really into platformers), the Switch will not have legs beyond 2018 in my opinion especially when it's against the likes of RDR 2, Anthem, Battlefield 2018, Cod 2018, God of War, Spiderman, Days Gone, Metro, GTA online, Rainbow Six Siege and probably a few more.

People can buy more than two products. Plus Nintendo has great library of casual friendly titles. Games like 2D Mario, Pokemon, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, the various party games not to mention even 3D Mario have all been able to reach fairly large audiences. Sony themselves admitted that many people who buy the Switch have a PS4, indicating that people are buying Switch's as a portable companion to their stationary systems. Nintendo handhelds have had a history of managing to sell well despite competition from more graphics heavy stationary system, the reason has of course been because of Nintendo's exclusives and portability (which positions differently compared to the stationary systems; making them companions to one another); I can forsee many PS4, Xbox One, and PC gamers picking up a Switch to compliment their stationary systems (much like PS2/XB/GC gamers picked up GBA, PS3/XB360/Wii gamers picked up DS, and PS4/XBONE/WiiU gamers picked up 3DS).

Also, graphics, while important, are typically overblown. The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, which are the most graphically powerful consoles, are obtaining fractions of the sales of the PS4 Slim, Xbox One S and Switch. Now many will point to PS4 outdoing the Xbox One because it was more powerful, but there were far more factors at play there. The biggest one was price ($500 versus $400), not to mention the horrible press MS received after initially announcing Xbox One, which really soured that particular line of consoles in the eyes of customers.On top of that Sony marketed the system in a much more global manner, allowing them to take markets like Europe and Japan. My point is that there is a lot more than graphics that will entice console gamers. But even when considering the graphics argument, Switch is the most powerful handheld and it (along with PSP) have the smallest graphical gaps between their stationary counterparts compared to other portables; put simply a handheld device capable of producing this type of graphics in games at $300 has never happened before. 

Around the Network
squibbfire said:
14 million year one? ...they have 8.5 now...you think sell 6 million by jan or next april?...sure holiday sales are ok..but...historically Jan isn't going to be a strong year neither will feb for console or handhelds..

They are at 8.2 millions...at November 3rd, not end of december as you're implying here (we're not even mid december, even, but well, you corrected yourself o that one in your following post). in other words there are still 9 weeks to come this year, and among those all the heavy hitting weeks. Nintendo also traditionally does better in december than they do in november. You could count on an additional 2 millions in the US alone until year's end, and the missing 4 millions should come without too much hassle from the rest of the world outside of US. 300-400k for the best weeks in november and december would even have been just okay at best for the Wii U at it's height, 700k-1M would be much more realistic

Yes, January and February are not the strongest months, but by that time the Switch will be above 12 million, so 14 million is very possible, even 15 if december goes very well. 

Jigsawx1 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

XBO will be happy to reach those 50M. They got a shot now that the ONE X is out, but before it's release, even at current sales it would need to sell steadily until 2020 to get to 50M.

Switch is selling much better than the XBO ever did. In 7 months it sold close to as much as the XBO did in its best year while not even having a holiday season yet and being heavily supply constrained for months after launch (and still is in Japan to this day). It's quite possible that the Switch will overtake the XBO in 2019, or even 2018 if they really are going to ship and sell over 20M consoles that year.

Switch is an inversion of the XBO. Switch doesn't have all the multiplats, but instead has lots of first party titles, and of great quality to boot. Unlike the multiplats which only offer a short boost the first party titles keep on selling and push the baseline up and up and over. Just have a look at Kristof's Sales comparision chart: Switch is largely in front of the XBO, which was just selling better early on due to holiday launch boost and Switch supply problems, but since then the Switch has build up a 3 million lead before even hitting the holiday season.

2018? 8.2 million +20 million is 28. million. I think the switch could be happy to sell 15 million in 2018 and same for 2019, so more reallistic is 12-14 million......

12-14M in 2018? Even without Smash/Pokemon/Metroid Prime 4 that would be a pretty weak result for the console, considering this year will beat that while having been supply constrained for half the year around the globe and still does in some part, especially Japan. Nintendo themselves forecasted 22-30M, so you really think they will only do half of that? According to Nintendos forecast I was even lowballing with "just" 20 million sold, and the Switch will definitely not drop off a cliff next year with all the game announcements that are coming in practically at daily basis

The graphics drum is sounding quite hollow these days too.

The depth and detail of graphics is far outstripping the ease to produce them, those triple A games are far more of a risk, because the graphics budgets these days are eyewatering.

Compare that with DS games and their gfx budgets were 1/10th of an xbone and ps4 title. Massively boosting profit margins.

People don't like loot crates and pay to win, I get that.

People don't want ever increasing costs of games, I get that.

People want ever increasing depth of graphics, far outstripping the ability to create them at a reasonable cost. But don't want to pay for it, I get that, but developers don't.

They don't get any of them, so while there will be standout gfx monster games, expect those companies to switch higher risk new IPs to a cheaper to produce console if it has a good install base.

If switch hits 30m units it won't be ignored, and it's increased profitability (based on lower production costs and same price games) will be very attractive to developers outside of their very marquee games.

So the confirmation from Nintendo today is that Switch has sold 10m in 9 months.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/940566931987423232/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fgamrconnect.vgchartz.com%2Fthread.php%3Fid%3D233543%26page%3D1%2317

I think anyone still arguing this fail notion are going to end up like the same mob who argued Wii would stop selling and fail.

The console is getting more third party support than I ever imagine.

I believe that we will get a nice picture of its future after this holiday season.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Nem said:
Baddman said:

man  get out here with that nonsense  i'd think it was a stealth troll if someone said  it about any other console. don't mistake me for one of them idiot fanboys just because i find topics like this thread stupid.  I'd say more but would likely be banned

Nonsense that people are entitled to their own opinion?

Trolling from an established account?

¯_(ツ)_/¯

I have news for you. You aren't impartial.

yes ok. are implying established accounts can't or don't troll? man just scroll past any future comment you see from me.