By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony says it can not ignore the Switch

Handheld PS4 Mini. DO IT! NOW!

Around the Network
Azuren said:
It'd be awesome if they took a proper shot at a PlayStation Phone.

Didn't they try something like that before?

loy310 said:
Why do we need to know how you gonna get more mo way outta people Sony? we don’t care to hear that shit. You should be telling us how you gonna give us a ton of new content.
Dude address his base like a prick, miss House already.

Sony's a business, not your friend. Don't let #4theplayer fool you.

ryuzaki57 said:
Handheld PS4 Mini. DO IT! NOW!

Thats dumb. The PS4 is still flying off shelves at this very moment. Theres no need for that.

V-r0cK said:
think-man said:

If you look at the Switch it's kind of like the PSP Go. Maybe next generation Sony will do something more serious in the portable market.

I'm not so fond on the subscription idea though, unless it's linked with PS Plus. I don't want to pay for more subscriptions, or pay more money. Plus once Sony gets a sniff on confidence, their services drop in quality. The last two/ three years of ps plus have sucked in comparison to the PS3 days, only in the last couple of months has the quality picked up again.

Fixed. 

I know there were other Handheld gaming devices that you can hook up to TV before the PSP Go, but PSP Go is the only one I know that has a dock that hooks up to your TV and can use a separate controller to play at home. (If anybody knows of an earlier gaming handheld that uses a dock and a separate controller please share)

Mother of God.

Sony might just be thinking about how they can make more money off of the Switch. For example they may make games for the Switch. Just speculating at this point. I am sure in the end they’ll think of something fun and that makes them a lot of money.

Around the Network
Gamer147 said:
Sony might just be thinking about how they can make more money off of the Switch. For example they may make games for the Switch. Just speculating at this point. I am sure in the end they’ll think of something fun and that makes them a lot of money.

Poor speculation on your part if you ask me. Did you read the whole answer or just the topic title?

V-r0cK said:
think-man said:

If you look at the Switch it's kind of like the PSP Go. Maybe next generation Sony will do something more serious in the portable market.

I'm not so fond on the subscription idea though, unless it's linked with PS Plus. I don't want to pay for more subscriptions, or pay more money. Plus once Sony gets a sniff on confidence, their services drop in quality. The last two/ three years of ps plus have sucked in comparison to the PS3 days, only in the last couple of months has the quality picked up again.

Fixed. 

I know there were other Handheld gaming devices that you can hook up to TV before the PSP Go, but PSP Go is the only one I know that has a dock that hooks up to your TV and can use a separate controller to play at home. (If anybody knows of an earlier gaming handheld that uses a dock and a separate controller please share)

I see how Nintendo was inspired, yet again.

I read this as PS see's the Switch taking potential PS4 customers, so the PS4 price may need to stay lower, if not considerably lower than Switch to keep people's attention focused on a lower priced PS4.
It also may be a hint that if Switch sales continue or accelerate, that it may be worthwhile to create a similar product, maybe.

The more PS4's they sell, the more PSN users they get. It may not be a 1:1 ratio, but for every lost customer to Switch, it's a lost opportunity for another yearly PSN income.

KLAMarine said:
Azuren said:
It'd be awesome if they took a proper shot at a PlayStation Phone.

Didn't they try something like that before?

Yes, hence the bolded section.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

KBG29 said:

Sony's Head of Corperate Planning Kazuhiko Takeda spoke with Nikkei recently saying, "...we can't ingnore the Nintendo Switch...". Kaz said that there business model "...involves selling both the game console and the software for it...". Going forward they are looking to get consumers paying for content continuously, using paid subscriptions as an example. 

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Sony-s-path-forward-begins-with-record-profit-Planning-chief?page=2

Are they looking at expanding the PlayStation platform? The best way to get people continuously paying for content through your devices, is to give them access to your OS and Storefront 24/7, in any situation. If they want to compete with the Switch, they need a new device like the Vita that has full access to the PS4 library of software and services. A phone in the form factor of the Vita, running on the PS4 OS and delivering the full PS4 expereince anywhere is the key to Sony recapturing a portion of the mobile space. 

Who is interested in a mobile device offering the full PS4 expereince?

They need a PS4 Lite, which would be a PS4 Portable; running a downgraded version of every PS4 game. So you wont need to buy the game twice.   IT MUST HAVE A BLURAY DRIVE.  It would be similar like a Walkman, but you put a a disk on the back.  and the screen is in front.    It would be like Like vita with a round disk on the back :D