By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony says it can not ignore the Switch

think-man said:

If you look at the Switch it's kind of like the PSP Go. Maybe next generation Sony will do something more serious in the portable market.

I'm not so fond on the subscription idea though, unless it's linked with PS Plus. I don't want to pay for more subscriptions, or pay more money. Plus once Sony gets a sniff on confidence, their services drop in quality. The last two/ three years of ps plus have sucked in comparison to the PS3 days, only in the last couple of months has the quality picked up again.

Fixed. 

I know there were other Handheld gaming devices that you can hook up to TV before the PSP Go, but PSP Go is the only one I know that has a dock that hooks up to your TV and can use a separate controller to play at home. (If anybody knows of an earlier gaming handheld that uses a dock and a separate controller please share)

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
think-man said:

If you look at the Switch it's kind of like the PSP Go. Maybe next generation Sony will do something more serious in the portable market.

I'm not so fond on the subscription idea though, unless it's linked with PS Plus. I don't want to pay for more subscriptions, or pay more money. Plus once Sony gets a sniff on confidence, their services drop in quality. The last two/ three years of ps plus have sucked in comparison to the PS3 days, only in the last couple of months has the quality picked up again.

Fixed. 

I know there were other Handheld gaming devices that you can hook up to TV before the PSP Go, but PSP Go is the only one I know that has a dock that hooks up to your TV and can use a separate controller to play at home. (If anybody knows of an earlier gaming handheld that uses a dock and a separate controller please share)

I forgot about the PSP go :P

the idea of Vita + PSTV was kind of like the switch, the execution...  Crap.  Thats where Nintendo REALLY nailed it with Switch, every time I pop my Switch out of the doc to take my dog out, then pop it back in and im back to the big screen...  It's all so seamless and thats what it had to be.

A psp2 with a docked mode

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Bandorr said:

On the other hand I can imagine them doing something like "play anywhere" like Xbox does.
If I got the "vita" version with the "ps4" version - Then that would solve the docked/portable mode for me.

It would solve the "do I get Demon gaze 2 / Danganronpa 3 on vita or ps4" problem for me.

Well they already have cross-buy, the issue is the developers/publishers can choose whether they want it to be cross-buy or not, which is no doubt the same with Play Anywhere, most Play Anywhere titles are first party aren't they?

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
think-man said:

If you look at the PS vita + vita TV combo it's kind of like the original switch. Maybe next generation Sony will do something more serious in the portable market.

The original Switch is the SEGA Nomad in 1995.

The Turbo Express from 1990 would like to have a word with you.

Here I thought the thread was going to actually be less about Sony and more about Shuhei's addiction to Splatoon 2 or something. =p

I would like to see Sony step in and make mobile gaming worth a damn rather than invest in another device to lug around. Make some solid control nub / d-pad & button attachments compatible with Samsung & iPhone, set up their own storefront for mobile with both ports of classics and new exclusives (not simple puzzles & infinite runners), and then advertise the crap out of it. Keep the cost low enough, the form factor small enough, and the game quality / interest high enough, and it could work.

Those words were said in the sense of strengthening the competitive position.

NIKKEI as in NIKKEI INDEX.

There will be no VITA 2. Give it up already.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-25/sony-vs-nintendo-playstation-boss-sees-limited-handheld-market

Hunting Season is done...

I could see Sony releasing a new portable system but it doesn't have to follow the Switch example completely. It could be a tablet that mainly streams from a ps4 and could be used with a VR visor to run playstation VR games but has portable functionality too. It's tech could be sub ps4, maybe 4 fast cpu cores to match 8 jaguar core performance and graphics hardware to reach no more than 800 gflops docked and perhaps a third of that in portable mode. This would allow long battery life, 4-5 hours plus. PS4 games could be easily recompiled/adapted to work with it with resolution and detail dropping compared to a standard ps4. It would perform easily above Switch.

Clearly Switch has shown the hybrid format can work and to be honest I can't see this not being copied by other console manufacturers. They may claim otherwise up until they announce their own versions of hybrid consoles. 3 years from now we will probably have a glut of Switch type systems, sony, microsoft, steam, android, ios are all possibilities.

Darc Requiem said:
SegataSanshiro said:

The original Switch is the SEGA Nomad in 1995.

The Turbo Express from 1990 would like to have a word with you.

Except it wasn't able to hook up to the TV nor have a prot ofr two playe ron the TV. It's was a seperate system to play TG game sonthe go where Nomad was a hybrid.