By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony says it can not ignore the Switch

Lawlight said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Make online gaming free again. Do that and the only thing Sony can't ignore is how you're going to keep up the supplies for the demand.

How would making online gaming free help them though?

Would you be more inclined to purchase a game on PS4 if it has free online, than requiring a subscription to play online on another platform?

If you say yes to the former. Then that's how it helps them.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

Get ready for the Playstation Swap™.

OTBWY said:
Get ready for the Playstation Swap™.

PlaystationFourth

PlaystationSwippitySwappity

PlaystationSnap

deskpro2k3 said:
Lawlight said:

Would you be more inclined to purchase a game on PS4 if it has free online, than requiring a subscription to play online on another platform?

We have seen how much people didn't care for PS+ when it wasn't mandated and how much they subscribed to it after being mandated (with revenue equivalent to one game sold per year with the cost being maintenance and what they pay to put free games) and how little impact it had on the sales of HW and SW, so nope, free online wouldn't help Sony.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I think this is being taken a bit out of contexto.

He's talking about how Switch can hinder Sony in relation to exceeding fiscal objectives - and more specifically, during the Holidays -, not on the long run.

But on the long run, i honestly don't see why Sony should worry a whole lot.
They have everything going for them: image/perception; games, publishers.
If Sony could outmoney MS, Nintendo's not really a problema (specially western developers).

Around the Network

Competition is always a good thing, means high quality games, price cuts...

deskpro2k3 said:
Lawlight said:

Only if you're not already paying for the subscription for other games on that console anyway. But regardless with PS+ having 26.4m subscribers (as of december 2016) it's a major factor in PlayStation's recent record breaking profits. It's here to stay.

That's around 1.5 Billion dollars a year of revenue from PS+.

Barkley said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Only if you're not already paying for the subscription for other games on that console anyway. But regardless with PS+ having 26.4m subscribers (as of december 2016) it's a major factor in PlayStation's recent record breaking profits. It's here to stay.

Holy shit, only half of PS4 owners have PS plus?

Playstation live on the go with the entire library seems nice. But since I don't care for gaming on the go I would prefer Sony to make homeconsoles.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Barkley said:

Holy shit, only half of PS4 owners have PS plus?

Yeah sounds about right,  it's an increase on last-gen, even with 80m sales 360 only ever reached a peak of around 20m gold subs. 

There's 3 ps4 consoles in my household, only one PS+ subscription though ofc.