By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony says it can not ignore the Switch

Barkley said:

I think you're reading far too much into this. In no way does his comment imply they're going to target a portable market.

But I also disagree with Kaz, the Switch is not a direct competitor to the PS4. They have very different software libraries and appeal to different people. If you look at the top 100 selling games on the PS4 the vast majority won't be on the Switch even when you look again in a few years time. Their will be a minimal impact, except in Japan.

Bingo. It doesn’t mention anything about Sony being interested in making a handheld again. He’s talking about engaging customers to stay on the PS4. And to be honest, Sony’s focus on single player prevents continuous engagement like an MP focused or MMO would do.

Around the Network

They are competing for a place in someone's home, for someone's gaming time, for someone looking to invest money into their platform. So it is foolish to think that they don't compete.

Make online gaming free again. Do that and the only thing Sony can't ignore is how they're going to keep up the supplies for the demand.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 07 December 2017

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
OTBWY said:
They are competing for a place in someone's home, for someone's gaming time, for someone looking to invest money into their platform. So it is foolish to think that they don't compete.

They're competing for time among two different groups of people. As the top-selling games on each will be evident, minimal crossover. They will have very different software libraries. It's not like the PS4/XBO, where the games are largely the same.

deskpro2k3 said:
Make online gaming free again. Do that and the only thing Sony can't ignore is how you're going to keep up the supplies for the demand.

How would making online gaming free help them though?

Around the Network

There will be no new playstation portable, people should let this idea go.Sony likes things the way they are now,and even if they wish to do a new portable,they would just make a really powerful hardware and then go back to their home console,because that is what they do.

I don't like the idea of nintendo having the monopoly of the portable dedicated consoles,but sony just don't give a crap to this anymore.

d21lewis said:
As great as that would be, is it even possible?

7nm will make it possible to bring PS4 to a device the size of the Vita. Either via the PS4's current tech, or using new tech shared with the PS5. They could make this happen as early as next fall, and definitly by 2019.

think-man said:

If you look at the PS vita + vita TV combo it's kind of like the original switch. Maybe next generation Sony will do something more serious in the portable market.

I'm not so fond on the subscription idea though, unless it's linked with PS Plus. I don't want to pay for more subscriptions, or pay more money. Plus once Sony gets a sniff on confidence, their services drop in quality. The last two/ three years of ps plus have sucked in comparison to the PS3 days, only in the last couple of months has the quality picked up again.

If they moved to PS5 in 2019, and offered both a mobile/handheld option along with a 4K home console, I would be perfectly fine with PS5 being a half step. A 10 - 12TF PS5 with 16GB of RAM, and the ability to play all games at 4K/60, and a 2TF handheld with full compatibility to PS4 and PS5 games would be incredible.

As for services, I think they are close to tapped out on service. PS Video, Ps Music, PS Vue, PS Now, and PS+ pretty much cover the spectrum of digital services you can offer. Maybe they could add a subscription to PS Video or offer Music Purchases through PS Music? PS Home Security? Add services to XBO and Switch? Bet thing I can see is offering a wider range of PlayStation devices that increase the value of the current services, and keep people more connected to the current services.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I have to say I admire how dedicated you are to thinking about how Playstation should be ran and if it isn't ran the way you want it to be then fuck Sony!

That being said I don't really want Sony to have a monopoly, and honestly a PS4 phone is wishful thinking. I don't think it would even be all that.

All I want is continued growth, and expansion. The avenues to that are pretty obvious.

You don't have to worry about Sony having a monopoly. Apple, Google, Microsoft, Samsung, Nintendo, Amazon, ect. aren't going anywhere. Offering a wider range of devices, only gives Sony customers greater value on their software and services, while potentially making their ecosystem more appealing to a wider audience.

DonFerrari said:
As I said in another thread... even if someone think Switch is blue ocean and doesn't compete with anyone... it still plays game so it can be seen as substitute.

Absolutely. Switch's ability to allow a single purchase to be played easily at home, or on a road trip has true potential to damage sales of 3rd party software for Sony, and that hits them where it hurts. For the first time in 20 years I am on board with what Nintendo is doing, and with the right moves they could sway me even further to their side. It is a real threat, and Sony needs to do something about it.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
KBG29 said:

Who is interested in a mobile device offering the full PS4 expereince?

Not me, the mobile experience makes little sense to me. First the screen. Something that is fairly powerful like the Ps4 Pro and future PS5, you will simply not enjoy the benefits on a portable screen. You need a big 4K screen to have all the details, the HDR and the smoothness. There is no way a pocket screen can render the same level of experience.

Then there is the issue of comfort. Why would I want to game outside where it can be cold, rainy, where someone could snatch away my device, where if I'm outside it is because I have some business to attend to and in those moments focusing on some complex RPG or Adventure game is not on my to do list. And I'm not even talking about battery life issues.

The bottom line is, gaming in front of my OLED 4K huge screen in the comfort of my home, in the comfort of my couch where no one and nothing else can distract me, well there is no way in heaven or hell that mobile gaming can beat that. For me, that is. This is just my opinion folks.

Not everyone is into Mobile/Portable/Handhelds, on the other hand, not everyone is into Consoles/PCs. Sony messed up with the Vita, but they have everything they need to do the mobile market right with the next attempt. With PlayStation being built around scalability now, they can have a shared library across all device, making it much more appealing than the second rate efforts we saw on PSP and Vita.

For those of us that enjoy portable gaming, there is still a lot that can be done to improve the expereince that does not require a giant 4K screen. See Fifa, NBA, WWE, Doom, and other 3rd party games coming to Switch. We still don't quite have the power to offer a solid console expereince on the go.

torok said:
KBG29 said:

Who is interested in a mobile device offering the full PS4 expereince?

Nobody is interested on a phone running PS4 OS. Don't get me wrong, it's great for the console. But it doesn't have 5% of the functionality Android and iOS does. It has dozens of apps, while the competitors are close to a million. MS, with all their mobile OS expertise, a way more complete OS, way more money and resources, failed massively to beat Android a few years ago. Why would Sony succeed against an Android that is a few years more mature than the one that crushed MS?

It would be an insane failure that would cost tons of cash. It would fail as hard as webOS and BB10. Well, probably way harder than those. It would be beyond embarrassing. Nobody would buy a smartphone that only does extremely basic stuff when you have products as good as a Galaxy S8 or iPhone X to choose.

Nintendo didn't launched a phone, they launched a hybrid device, a portable home console. It's not trying to fight Android or iOS here. Anyway, I don't think Sony has business here. The Vita bombed hard. I don't think pushing for another mobile device will help them. They are better off just trying to make PSVR cheaper and profit by selling one extra device for PS4 owners. That at least is possible.

The thing is Sony doesn't have to go into this in a fight against Apple and Google. The main purpose of the platform would be games. The 4G or 5G connections main purpose would be giving you the full online gaming expereince anywhere you go. Sony doesn't have to sell 100 million devices a year to be profitable. With everything being shared across all PS devices, even if it only sold as well as the Vita, it would be a very profitable device. That said, a mobile device with full access to the PlayStation library would blow by the VIta, the PSP, and potentially even the PS2. 

I don't know how to get it arocss, but millions of people don't care about their Android or iOS phone, and never use it for more than calls, texting, and web browsing. I work in 24 hour business with a head count just over 4,000 people in my location, and over 140,000 world wide. The average pay is over 100K/year, and the people range from early 20's to retirement. My position has me moving across shifts, and getting to know the vast majority of these people over the last decade plus. Beyond that, I have been coast to coast across the US, and to a handfull of other countries working for this company. I know people all over the world, from all backgrounds, and of all ages. The idea that people are satisfied with iOS and Android, and would not jump all over something that truly shifted the land scape is pretty much religated to the online community. Don't know what else to say.

Also, that might give you some idea of why I want a bad ass mobile device, and why I love the Vita and Remote Play.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Barkley said:
OTBWY said:

They're competing for time among two different groups of people. As the top-selling games on each will be evident, minimal crossover. They will have very different software libraries. It's not like the PS4/XBO, where the games are largely the same.

There is one group of people: People who want to play games. You haven't grasped what I said when I meant, they are competing for someone's gaming time. It is completely logical for Sony to be concerned with this.

Finale said:
I don't like the idea of nintendo having the monopoly of the portable dedicated consoles,but sony just don't give a crap to this anymore.

See I see it the opposite way. Sony trying to make a hybrid could make them monopolize the game industry if it succeeds, and if it fails we'll have another portable for no reason. Nintendo and Sony will just get closer to monopolizing different segments of the industry.

Barkley said:

But I also disagree with Kaz, the Switch is not a direct competitor to the PS4. They have very different software libraries and appeal to different people. If you look at the top 100 selling games on the PS4 the vast majority won't be on the Switch even when you look again in a few years time. Their will be a minimal impact, except in Japan.

Switch is not direct competition to PS4 like XB1 is for instance, but all consoles are competing on same market place, there are people that can byu only one console and that will choose between PS4 and Switch, so all consoles in some degree do effect on sales of each other, but that doesn't mean that PS4 and Switch can't have great sales in same time. And basically what Sony here said is that popularity of Switch can effect PS4 sales.