By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry takes on Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Basically, this is what we get:

- Locked 720p resolution on Docked mode

- In portable mode, resolution ranges between 552 to 368p, the lowest in any Switch game to date. Seems pretty bad...

- Although resolution is the same as XCX, almost everything has been upgraded: shadows, effects, lightning, texture quality, AA, collisions... everything is better now

- Framerate is for the most part solid 30fps...

- but the game has a strange problem with how memory is handled by the console that makes it go under 25fps during certain moments. It is fixed if you turn the console of and on... but it will appear with the time. Hopefully, it may be fixed with a patch.

Around the Network

Yeah the game seems to have been rushed to make the Switch's first year. If they took three to six more months I suspect they would have gotten the lip-syncing right, and boosted the docked resolution to 900p. 

Still not a huge deal anyway. I am used to Monolith Soft games not having the absolute best polish.

Wish the game got delayed

Vodacixi said:

- but the game has a strange problem with how memory is handled by the console that makes it go under 25fps during certain moments. It is fixed if you turn the console of and on... but it will appear with the time. Hopefully, it may be fixed with a patch.

Troll and I suffer this same problem :|

- Portable is just blurry, I play docked and I don't plan on playing any other way.
- Some textures and lip syncing during cutscenes stand out.

That's about it, the game is still very good.

Around the Network

Yeah, it's definitely rushed. 368p? C'mon, I'm sure they could have made it a lot better. Time is the only thing that can explain this bullshit...

Also, the framerate thing... I recall there was another Switch game that experienced a similar problem. I can't remember which one though...

Yikes, sub 500p...not good.

And the pop in of geometry and textures right in front of your face kind of breaks the immersion sometimes. But the gameplay, story, and overall art direction are on point. I just wish they'd spent a bit more time polishing.

Hopefully they can fix some of this stuff with patches, especially the performance issues. Nintendo is usually good about things like that.

Oops, wrong thread. Sorry!!!

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 04 December 2017

sc94597 said:
Hopefully they can fix some of this stuff with patches, especially the performance issues. Nintendo is usually good about things like that.

Yeah, they should be able to fix the framerate thing. It doesn't seem caused by the hardware not being able to handle what's on screen. If that was the case, nothing could be done about it without lowering some technical assets. It looks like some problem with how the console handles some memory elements.

The resolution though... I just don't know. I think we all agree that if BotW can be at least 640p portable and 810p when docked, XC2 should be able to hit a similar resolution (maybe a little lower... but definitely not 368p xD). But man... 368 it's SO LOW. Even if Monolith didn't have time to optimize the game... I don't know, it just seems too low. Maybe they really could not make it better xD