By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Donald Trump: How Do You Feel about Him Now? (Poll)

Last November,

I supported him and I still do - Americas 91 15.77%

I supported him and I now don't - Americas 16 2.77%

I supported him and I still do - Europe 37 6.41%

I supported him and I now don't - Europe 7 1.21%

I supported him and I still do - Asia 6 1.04%

I supported him and I now don't - Asia 1 0.17%

I supported him and I still do - RoW 15 2.60%

I supported him and I now don't - RoW 2 0.35%

I didn't support him and still don't. 373 64.64%

I didn't support him and now do. 29 5.03%

Total:577
Immersiveunreality said:
Machiavellian said:

My statement that the President of the US cannot just throw out shittalking on any media and not expect it to be official which it is.  There is no person within our government that can just throw out any sort of comment on any media and it not be official from them.  I have no clue where you are going with this because it pretty common for any individual whether they are the President or just your average joe.  So yes, someone who is in a government position as high as the President does not get the benefit of the doubt when they use any media to put out their thoughts.  So I still do not understand where you are coming from.  If someone want their own echochamber then they should make their stuff private.  For Public officials they do not have this option so they should understand the impact when they do use such media.

Bolded one: I both agree with that statement and still believe that there is an overal too much focus on dumb tweets

Bolded second: It would be argueable that there can be a difference in the magnitude of hyperbole considering political views but that is another topic

Bolded third: You took me out of context and you just keep going not understanding the first comment i made so keep it at that or stop argueing about things besides the matter.

Hmmm, just to be clear, your first point is that people knee jerk when someone makes comments on social media and we all should not take it seriously.  Am I correct in my assessment of your first statement.  If I am correct of your first statement then I disagree.  I come from the background where when someone shows you who they are you should believe them.  The apologies and so forth after they realize what they said are reactions to backlash then any true feelings.  So when someone takes the time to write out something, they put though to it and it reveals their true self in my opinion.

Around the Network

Well I have to say in these few short years Trump has proven himself to be even dumber than advertised. Truly impressive. Might be one of the dumbest presidents we've ever had in our entire history.

Mind-boggling how so many support such an idiot.

Trump used twitter a lot to talkshit, shitpost, and give his opinions like a lot of people do before he was President. He is President and still does the same thing cause he likes twitter. Let him rock,

SpokenTruth said:
jason1637 said:
Trump used twitter a lot to talkshit, shitpost, and give his opinions like a lot of people do before he was President. He is President and still does the same thing cause he likes twitter. Let him rock,

Then he is either unaware that as a president he does not have a separate life or he is aware and doesn't care because he knows his base will eat it up anyway.

He keeps the POTUS twitter professional iirc.The shit talking twitter is his main one for himself. I understand why people would want him to be less of a shit talker but it would be super fake if he just switched up just because he is President.

Immersiveunreality said:
TallSilhouette said:
How has this become normal? How has this become tolerable for the highest office in the country?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/18/politics/donald-trump-twitter-sunday/index.html

Its crazy how much importance is put into shittalking on twitter by our elected and newsources,next we might find them commenting on youtube under the latest Ben Shapiro video.

I can't help see the irony in the fact that America is all about individuals and their freedom, and yet certain famous, well known individuals are put into boxes because of what has become the 'norm', and it's supposed to be widely accepted. If that was the case, being openly lbgtq etc, wasn't the norm before, but even though some disagreed, it was slowly allowed to become the norm. The sleaze and open sexuality in entertainment used to shunned and seen as disrespectful for the most part, especially for woman, but it was slowly allowed to become the norm. Presidents used to only talk on the radio from time to time, then they were on TV from the WH, then TV studio interviews, SNL, and now social media.

Over time the Presidents have naturally become less and less of a idol and more of just another individual. Same with celebs. They used to be on pedestals and are now just well known, mostly wealthy people. Not only that, but there are plenty of well known people, looked to for guidance or not, who say or do things that by today's 'standards' should have them banned from all platforms, but aren't. The more normal someone is portrayed, and is allowed to be, the more normal they will act, even if it's not considered normal by some.

When people argue that Trump should be banned not just for what he says, but even if it's just what he's tied to, well what about when some well known person, another main political figurehead, promotes St Patricks Day, and those who pretend to be Irish for the day? What about when people point out that's cultural appropriation, something even that leader admits is wrong? Ban them? Should we change all holidays tied to races or genders? What about someone famous who posts a pic of their new high end sneakers, only to be pointed out some kid from the east made those for pennies in a sweatshop? Ban them? No more shoe posts? This also ties into the people being banned for things they said in the past. Why weren't they banned back then in the first place? What made it ok back then and not now? If it wasn't a problem back then, should it count towards what's been said more recently? Did things change? Can people change? Why isn't change ok today, or is it?

"If Trump's Sunday on Twitter doesn't raise some concerns for you, you aren't paying close enough attention".(CNN)

There are just as many people thinking, if Trump's Sunday on Twitter raises concerns for you, your paying way too much attention, like the area 51'ers and flat earthers.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

I can't help see the irony in the fact that America is all about individuals and their freedom, and yet certain famous, well known individuals are put into boxes because of what has become the 'norm', and it's supposed to be widely accepted. If that was the case, being openly lbgtq etc, wasn't the norm before, but even though some disagreed, it was slowly allowed to become the norm. The sleaze and open sexuality in entertainment used to shunned and seen as disrespectful for the most part, especially for woman, but it was slowly allowed to become the norm. Presidents used to only talk on the radio from time to time, then they were on TV from the WH, then TV studio interviews, SNL, and now social media.

Over time the Presidents have naturally become less and less of a idol and more of just another individual. Same with celebs. They used to be on pedestals and are now just well known, mostly wealthy people. Not only that, but there are plenty of well known people, looked to for guidance or not, who say or do things that by today's 'standards' should have them banned from all platforms, but aren't. The more normal someone is portrayed, and is allowed to be, the more normal they will act, even if it's not considered normal by some.

When people argue that Trump should be banned not just for what he says, but even if it's just what he's tied to, well what about when some well known person, another main political figurehead, promotes St Patricks Day, and those who pretend to be Irish for the day? What about when people point out that's cultural appropriation, something even that leader admits is wrong? Ban them? Should we change all holidays tied to races or genders? What about someone famous who posts a pic of their new high end sneakers, only to be pointed out some kid from the east made those for pennies in a sweatshop? Ban them? No more shoe posts? This also ties into the people being banned for things they said in the past. Why weren't they banned back then in the first place? What made it ok back then and not now? If it wasn't a problem back then, should it count towards what's been said more recently? Did things change? Can people change? Why isn't change ok today, or is it?

"If Trump's Sunday on Twitter doesn't raise some concerns for you, you aren't paying close enough attention".

There are just as many people thinking, if Trump's Sunday on Twitter raises concerns for you, your paying way too much attention, like the area 51'ers and flat earthers.

Did you seriously just try to equate the erosion of the decorum, propriety and integrity of the President with the increased acceptance of LGBTQ+ individuals in society?

Talk about your false equivalences.  Wow.

Not sure what you mean by, "Over time the Presidents have naturally become less and less of a idol and more of just another individual. Same with celebs. They used to be on pedestals and are now just well known, mostly wealthy people." A, what relevance would that even have to do with anything?  And B, where did you come up with the notion that presidents are no longer idols and are just another individual? This sounds rather out of touch with how the US perceives their presidents.

Taste is subjective, beliefs are subjective, because people are subjective.

Just look at God and religion. It used to be all the rage because it was something untouchable, unfathomable. Now that we have science, some people use that to deny God and religion altogether because they believe it's not real due to the evidence. Some still do believe however. There also used to be the idea that a leader didn't have to be great, but they were just great because they were the leader. Now we can see through the various forms of media that our leaders haven't exactly been the perfectionists we assumed they must be, so people don't look up to them in the same manner anymore. Some do, some don't.

Some see all of this as society falling apart, some see it simply as more freedom. Some prefer more freedom, some like stable safe spaces.

SpokenTruth said:
jason1637 said:

He keeps the POTUS twitter professional iirc.The shit talking twitter is his main one for himself. I understand why people would want him to be less of a shit talker but it would be super fake if he just switched up just because he is President.

But that's part of the job.  While in office, you do not have a separate personal life.  It does not exist. And trying to act like you can still be the same uncouth twitster you were prior to election is a dereliction of responsibility, decorum and integrity for the office and station he holds.

He either didn't know what he was getting into (most likely) or knew but is still trying to have it both ways.

Let me be clear.  There is no separation between Trump the person and Trump the president.  You hold the values of that office and that role 24/7/365.  The platform it is spoken from, the account it is spoken from....all irrelevant.  That is still the President of the United States. 

And? Even if you are President I don't see why you can't talk shit on twitter. I don't like it when people switch up because they are in higher positions. If He's a shit talker as a regular citizen he should continue to br himself as President. It's more real and less fake. Being President is just a job and as long as you're doing your job I don't see why you can't have fun in twitter. 

jason1637 said:
SpokenTruth said:

But that's part of the job.  While in office, you do not have a separate personal life.  It does not exist. And trying to act like you can still be the same uncouth twitster you were prior to election is a dereliction of responsibility, decorum and integrity for the office and station he holds.

He either didn't know what he was getting into (most likely) or knew but is still trying to have it both ways.

Let me be clear.  There is no separation between Trump the person and Trump the president.  You hold the values of that office and that role 24/7/365.  The platform it is spoken from, the account it is spoken from....all irrelevant.  That is still the President of the United States. 

And? Even if you are President I don't see why you can't talk shit on twitter. I don't like it when people switch up because they are in higher positions. If He's a shit talker as a regular citizen he should continue to br himself as President. It's more real and less fake. Being President is just a job and as long as you're doing your job I don't see why you can't have fun in twitter. 

A politically correct Trump would certainly be fake news. That's exactly why he can't even attempt it. It would be hypocrisy at it's finest.

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

Taste is subjective, beliefs are subjective, because people are subjective.

Just look at God and religion. It used to be all the rage because it was something untouchable, unfathomable. Now that we have science, some people use that to deny God and religion altogether because they believe it's not real due to the evidence. Some still do believe however. There also used to be the idea that a leader didn't have to be great, but they were just great because they were the leader. Now we can see through the various forms of media that our leaders haven't exactly been the perfectionists we assumed they must be, so people don't look up to them in the same manner anymore. Some do, some don't.

Some see all of this as society falling apart, some see it simply as more freedom. Some prefer more freedom, some like stable safe spaces.

Your penchant for false equivalency is almost commendable.  It is also, however, making your reasoning all the more confusing and glaringly ill formed.

How is the acceptance of LGBTQ+ people into society or the rejection of faith germane to a sitting president dishonoring the office he holds?

Your disregard for the repetition of the multiple and deliberate appearances of the word "subjective", seems unlikely with such well formulated and versed replies.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure."

the-pi-guy said:
jason1637 said:

"Just a job" = representing 300,000,000 people in global affairs

"Just a job" = being a role model for the millions of Americans who look up to the presidency.

Right.

EricHiggin said: 

A politically correct Trump would certainly be fake news. That's exactly why he can't even attempt it. It would be hypocrisy at it's finest.

There's a pretty big gap between being Politically correct and being reasonable.  

Well half didn't vote and half voted against him and since the half who voted against him seem proud to back, 'not my President', he only represents like 75 million or so.

Evel Knievel must be rolling in his grave.

SpokenTruth said:
jason1637 said:

I'm afraid we have reached an impasse. Your lack of understanding and mischaracterization of the role of president suggests that we cannot proceed.

If you cannot honor the office you were elected to, you do not deserve to hold said office.

The role of President is to sign laws that benefit your country and to stand up for your country on the world stage. That doesn't mean you can't talk shit.

You'd be surprised by some of the behavior of past Presidents. It's just that with social media it's more obvious. 

the-pi-guy said:
jason1637 said:

"Just a job" = representing 300,000,000 people in global affairs

"Just a job" = being a role model for the millions of Americans who look up to the presidency.

Right.

EricHiggin said: 

There's a pretty big gap between being Politically correct and being reasonable.  

You can still do the job and talk shit in twitter.

Also idolizing people because of their position is something I've always found to be dumb. You can look to the President to protect the country and work for you but to look up to then is really weird. They are just people but with an important job.