By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japan is the second best selling country for the ps4

Tagged games:

rodea_sky_soldier said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8645144

Here someone praise Sony for Fate Grand Order. Why? This game is from Delightworks and published by Aniplex.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fate/Grand_Order

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aniplex.fategrandorder.en&hl=pt_BR

What is the role of sony in this game?

Sony own Aniplex, it's a part of Sony Music Entertainment Japan.

Sony also own A-1 Pictures, which is responsible for the more recent Fate anime. I wonder if the two are related?

Around the Network
Azelover said:

It's not a matter of home consoles not mattering in Japan anymore, like it's a definite conclusion, it's not necessarily true.

Improving the graphics isn't sufficient for consoles anymore, so people moved to portables because they're more convenient. And this trend is going to catch up to the rest of the world, mark my words.

If Sony had come up with a concept that attracted people to the console experience, they'd buy consoles again. And by that I don't mean secondary experimental shit, like PSVR and Move. Instead the basic console has to present intrinsic value for today's times. I hate to break to you, but most people don't care as much about the visuals anymore. You'll see next generation, take a seat.

The answer isn't just making a handheld and expecting to break Nintendo's turf from the Game & Watch to today, believe me that is hopeless. They can however re-invent the value of their home consoles and return to huge popularity.

I KNOW they are not gonna do that however. The global success of the PS4 will blind them. They're gonna take a tumble again for the next cycle. But look no further than the PS4Pro, people don't care. It's not gonna work.

This is a pretty interesting theory. Why do you think that Western countries would move to handheld only? I think here in the west there are quite a few reasons to value home console gaming, whereas that's not the case for Japan.

Azelover said:

It's not a matter of home consoles not mattering in Japan anymore, like it's a definite conclusion, it's not necessarily true.

Improving the graphics isn't sufficient for consoles anymore, so people moved to portables because they're more convenient. And this trend is going to catch up to the rest of the world, mark my words.

If Sony had come up with a concept that attracted people to the console experience, they'd buy consoles again.
And by that I don't mean secondary experimental shit, like PSVR and Move. Instead the basic console has to present intrinsic value for today's times. I hate to break to you, but most people don't care as much about the visuals anymore. You'll see next generation, take a seat.

The answer isn't just making a handheld and expecting to break Nintendo's turf from the Game & Watch to today, believe me that is hopeless. They can however re-invent the value of their home consoles and return to huge popularity.

I KNOW they are not gonna do that however. The global success of the PS4 will blind them. They're gonna take a tumble again for the next cycle. But look no further than the PS4Pro, people don't care. It's not gonna work.

Just out of curiosity, what type of concept would accomplish this?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Miyamotoo said:
Kerotan said:

No global domination means dominating the planet which ps4 does. 

You're thinking  of cumulative individual country domination. 

You can't downplay the ps4's global domination no matter how hard you try.

There is difference between global domination and best selling console overall. Fact is that PS4 dont dominating  globaly on evre market, also fact that Sony is not dominating in Japan is is not downplaying ps4 succes.

Ps4 is dominating the globe. Best selling conse on the planet. Global domination. 

mysteryman said:
Kerotan said:

No the point of this thread is to show how Japan is relevant and important.

But that would be focusing on one country. Isn't Sony is a global phenomenon? Make up your mind.

Interestingly Japan's percentage of Sony home console sales has been steadily decreasing since the PS1 (18% down to 8%). While US and Europe have remained steady, and the rest of the world showing growth. That would indicate that Japan isn't a priority to Sony, no?

Yeah so Japan isn't important to Sony despite have the highest number of consoles sold in a country bar the USA. It's definitely important to them especially when you consider Japanese software sells a lot in the west and Asia as well as moving consoles.

All countries are relevant and important to Sony so no my mind has been made up. This is why it dominates the globe. They take the whole planet as serious as possible. 

Alkibiádēs said:
Lawlight said:

And the rest of the world in regions like Oceania, LATAM and the MEA.

Yeah, those 20k sales per week will really make the difference. /s

The PS4 sold 11.70M in rest of the world so far. Still think that doesn't make a difference?

Around the Network
Azelover said:

If Sony had come up with a concept that attracted people to the console experience, they'd buy consoles again. And by that I don't mean secondary experimental shit, like PSVR and Move. Instead the basic console has to present intrinsic value for today's times. I hate to break to you, but most people don't care as much about the visuals anymore. You'll see next generation, take a seat.

People in the west have already moved to portables - it's called mobile.

Also, why would they change what's been working for them for 4 generations to appeal to a country where console sales are declining? And re-invent the value of their home console - what does that even mean? Like turn the PS5 into a hentai VR machine?

Kerotan said:
mysteryman said:

But that would be focusing on one country. Isn't Sony is a global phenomenon? Make up your mind.

Interestingly Japan's percentage of Sony home console sales has been steadily decreasing since the PS1 (18% down to 8%). While US and Europe have remained steady, and the rest of the world showing growth. That would indicate that Japan isn't a priority to Sony, no?

Yeah so Japan isn't important to Sony despite have the highest number of consoles sold in a country bar the USA. It's definitely important to them especially when you consider Japanese software sells a lot in the west and Asia as well as moving consoles.

All countries are relevant and important to Sony so no my mind has been made up. This is why it dominates the globe. They take the whole planet as serious as possible. 

Unimportant != Less important. You're pivoting again

Japan is a major market, and therefore of importance. However, the percentage of sales have been steadily decreasing with each successive Sony home console. Why aren't Sony doing anything to counter this?

mysteryman said:
Kerotan said:

Japan is a major market, and therefore of importance. However, the percentage of sales have been steadily decreasing with each successive Sony home console. Why aren't Sony doing anything to counter this?

You're really grasping at straws trying to catch me out. I've always maintained Japan was important and never said they focus in it more then the other major markets. 

Kerotan said:
mysteryman said:

You're really grasping at straws trying to catch me out. I've always maintained Japan was important and never said they focus in it more then the other major markets. 

Then who said it was not important that made you made this thread? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Kerotan said:
mysteryman said:

You misunderstand. It was I speaking of less importance, rather than no importance. 

Japan is an important market. Even Microsoft try to maintain the semblance of a presence there. 

But the PS4 isn't Sony showing any particular interest in the Japanese demographic and the exodus of their home console users.