By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 47): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - November 20-26, 2017

Kerotan said:
tbone51 said:

Your going to use that now? We were talking about the entire week if ps4 sales are being taking away by the switch. You never mention this intill now.

All i ask is what does ps4 have to sell in your opinion to not be affected by switch sales in dec. Having different libraries of software doesnt change the fact that they are both hardware of videogames

Edit: so what your saying is for example ps4 sells 100k (its not gonna sell that low using for reference) for all of dec, your gonna say it wasmt affected by switch?

I mal maintained 'll week switch wasn't taking it's sales. I never said why. So it's not like I changed my opinion. Switch and ps4 avoid each other pretty well.

Ok fine, only thing i get from your replies are "ps4 sales arent affected by switch and no matter how low ps4 sells get it doesnt mean switch is taking away from it".

In other words no one can prove you otherwise? Guess ill end it there (asking you), but imo if ps4 doesn't sell lets say higher or close to 300k for the holidays then switch definetly affected sales. I dont get why you made that thread (that was locked) if the subject wasnt even arguable for you!

Anyways ps4 should be up 2014/2015 holidays

Around the Network
tbone51 said:

Ok fine, only thing i get from your replies are "ps4 sales arent affected by switch and no matter how low ps4 sells get it doesnt mean switch is taking away from it".

In other words no one can prove you otherwise? Guess ill end it there (asking you), but imo if ps4 doesn't sell lets say higher or close to 300k for the holidays then switch definetly affected sales. I dont get why you made that thread (that was locked) if the subject wasnt even arguable for you!

IMO Switch is not taking away sales from PS4 just yet. If you will see chart the best seller in Switch are all Nintendo games. Right now it is selling because of the Nintendo games: Zelda, Mario, Splatoon 2 and etc. If I am a Nintendo fan from Japan. Switch is a very appealing hardware for me. Zelda, Mario, Splatoon 2. Those 3 games was release in under 1 year.  Those are big games from Nintendo. Switch launch year in terms of 1st party is massive. Also, with Switch being out of stock all the time then there's this urge that I will want it more. I have the money. I am a Nintendo fan but I cannot buy it. The more that I will want it more. 

I mentioned on my long post that 2018 will be the real test because so far PS4 is just selling like PS4 just take a look at Takoyaki's post. PS4 is selling normally on the first week of November. If the main argument is it's down YOY from last year you have to factor in that PRO was release last year. Slim was release last year and Week 48 will be FFXV week last year. Switch is just doing amazing and right it's not affecting anything other than WiiU and 3DS. Did we just ignore the 20 Million who bought 3DS and wanting to upgrade to the new handheld? The people who bought WiiU for Splatoon and wanting to play it? The Mario fans that want to play the new Mario game? 

NoCtiS_NoX said:
tbone51 said:

IMO Switch is not taking away sales from PS4 just yet. If you will see chart the best seller in Switch are all Nintendo games. Right now it is selling because of the Nintendo games: Zelda, Mario, Splatoon 2 and etc. If I am a Nintendo fan from Japan. Switch is a very appealing hardware for me. Zelda, Mario, Splatoon 2. Those 3 games was release in under 1 year.  Those are big games from Nintendo. Switch launch year in terms of 1st party is massive. Also, with Switch being out of stock all the time then there's this urge that I will want it more. I have the money. I am a Nintendo fan but I cannot buy it. The more that I will want it more. 

I mentioned on my long post that 2018 will be the real test because so far PS4 is just selling like PS4 just take a look at Takoyaki's post. PS4 is selling normally on the first week of November. If the main argument is it's down YOY from last year you have to factor in that PRO was release last year. Slim was release last year and Week 48 will be FFXV week last year. Switch is just doing amazing and right it's not affecting anything other than WiiU and 3DS. Did we just ignore the 20 Million who bought 3DS and wanting to upgrade to the new handheld? The people who bought WiiU for Splatoon and wanting to play it? The Mario fans that want to play the new Mario game? 

Not ignoring it. Your right comparing to 2016 holiday isnt right as you said factoring in all of what released. That said switch owners arent only playing your typical nintendo games imo. Yes most sales are coming from splat2/smo and hell even botw which isnt normal at least in the past 15 years but to think people only pick one of two sides is kinda unfair.

If ps4 is doing on par with 2015 or worse 2014 holiday i do believe switch is taking some thunder away from some purchasing a new ps4. Why would 2017 be down or on par with 2014/2015?

NoCtiS_NoX said:
tbone51 said:

But thats point, you can buy Switch for Mario Odyysey, Mario Kart or Splatoon 2 even if you are not Nintendo fan because great reception and popularity of those games, huge Switch hype in Japan, or portability of Switch, and Switch is also home console in same time like PS4. Point that Switch are buying only Nintendo fans in Japan is wrong. If some person can buy only one console for holiday season, its not hard to imagine that they can easily choose Switch over PS4 because things I mentioned, and that wasn't case last year when Switch wasn't on market. Switch definitely affecting on PS4 sales in Japan.

PS4 this year will be well ahead YOY in every market in world, but only in Japan there is chance that will not be YOY.

tbone51 said:
Kerotan said:

I mal maintained 'll week switch wasn't taking it's sales. I never said why. So it's not like I changed my opinion. Switch and ps4 avoid each other pretty well.

Miyamotoo said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

But thats point, you can buy Switch for Mario Odyysey, Mario Kart or Splatoon 2 even if you are not Nintendo fan because great reception and popularity of those games, huge Switch hype in Japan, or portability of Switch, and Switch is also home console in same time like PS4. Point that Switch are buying only Nintendo fans in Japan is wrong. If some person can buy only one console for holiday season, its not hard to imagine that they can easily choose Switch over PS4 because things I mentioned, and that wasn't case last year when Switch wasn't on market. Switch definitely affecting on PS4 sales in Japan.

PS4 this year will be well ahead YOY in every market in world, but only in Japan there is chance that will not be YOY.

Plot twist. Because switch stock isn't enough to meet demand, some gamers who can only buy 1 console but can't get a switch are choosing ps4 instead. 

Ps4 cannibalizing switch sales confirmed?

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Farsala said:

Why only Q4? Many PS4 owners might be waiting until a big game like MHW releases. Which isn't until Q1 2018.

FFXV clearly boosted it last year, and DQXI had a good effect this year, but that boost has already passed. MHW will be 2018 boost.

Since PS4 sold 200k and 250k without FFXV, I think that is the current standard. But obviously PS4 will have a big January with New Years and MHW.

Edit: I also don't understand how many weeks are left and when exactly they end since some years have 53 weeks and end past new years, and some 52 weeks and end before new years.

Because we talking about hole years sales and only 5 weeks of sales left in this year.

Switch wasn't available all year. If you want to use full year then use March to March.

Kerotan said:

Miyamotoo said:

Plot twist. Because switch stock isn't enough to meet demand, some gamers who can only buy 1 console but can't get a switch are choosing ps4 instead. 

Thats not plot twist thats also realistic possibility, definitely is possible that some people that don't want to wait for better Switch stock so that they can choose PS4 instead.

Totally different situations, Switch is sold out in any case so some people cant buy one even if they want it, so PS4 cant cannibalizing Switch sales (curently), and even with stock issues its selling on weekly basis several times better than PS4. Also PS4 is alaredy 4 years on market, and in Japan Switch is that hot, new, very popular and very hyped console that everyone wants not PS4, so Switch defiantly effects on PS4 sales.

Farsala said:
Miyamotoo said:

Because we talking about hole years sales and only 5 weeks of sales left in this year.

Switch wasn't available all year. If you want to use full year then use March to March.

But we were talking about PS4 sales, not Switch sales.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 03 December 2017

Kerotan said:
tbone51 said:

Miyamotoo said:

I just want to point out the irony in this. You said they dont affect each other yet this plot twist bends in favor of the ps4? How can it not be the other way around then lol

Miyamotoo said:
Kerotan said:

Thats not plot twist thats also realistic possibility, definitely is possible that people don't want to wait for better Switch stock so that they can choose PS4 instead.

Totally different situations, Switch is sold out in any case so some people cant buy one even if they want it, so PS4 cant cannibalizing Switch sales (curently), and even with stock issues its selling on weekly basis several times better than PS4. Also PS4 is alaredy 4 years on market, and in Japan Switch is that hot, new, very popular and very hyped console that everyone wants not PS4, so Switch defiantly effects on PS4 sales.

Farsala said:

But we were talking about PS4 sales, not Switch sales.

The discussion is if Switch is taking away PS4 sales.

Selling 20k a week for this time of the year is bad, no amount of spin will change that.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides