By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 47): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - November 20-26, 2017

Farsala said:
Miyamotoo said:

Thats not plot twist thats also realistic possibility, definitely is possible that people don't want to wait for better Switch stock so that they can choose PS4 instead.

Totally different situations, Switch is sold out in any case so some people cant buy one even if they want it, so PS4 cant cannibalizing Switch sales (curently), and even with stock issues its selling on weekly basis several times better than PS4. Also PS4 is alaredy 4 years on market, and in Japan Switch is that hot, new, very popular and very hyped console that everyone wants not PS4, so Switch defiantly effects on PS4 sales.

But we were talking about PS4 sales, not Switch sales.

The discussion is if Switch is taking away PS4 sales.

Discussion was if PS4 will be YOY down, flat or up.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:

Not ignoring it. Your right comparing to 2016 holiday isnt right as you said factoring in all of what released. That said switch owners arent only playing your typical nintendo games imo. Yes most sales are coming from splat2/smo and hell even botw which isnt normal at least in the past 15 years but to think people only pick one of two sides is kinda unfair.

If ps4 is doing on par with 2015 or worse 2014 holiday i do believe switch is taking some thunder away from some purchasing a new ps4. Why would 2017 be down or on par with 2014/2015?

What do you mean by not typical Nintendo games?  Can you provide me other games beside Nintendo games because all I see is Nintendo games that are having a huge legs in Japan.
Obviously BotW isn't normal. That game is phenomenal. A great upgrade from the previous Zelda games obviously it will sell a lot. It's great game after all.  If the game is great it will sell. 
In all honesty from what I see here is Switch put a nail in the coffin for Vita. 

Also, Why 2015 is an indicator that Switch stole sales from PS4? When PS4 is inline or beating PS3 in sales? It's selling how dedicated home console are now selling in Japan. Also historically speaking Nintendo is massive in Holiday period in Japan.

At the moment PS4 is just selling like PS4. Switch is doing superbly incredible. At the moment PS4 is home for 3rd party games. That's why I keep telling it will be 2018 because that is where 3rd party Switch games will be release along side the PS4 version. 201 will be the rise of 3rd party support in Japan.

Miyamotoo said:
Farsala said:

Not at all. I quote Tbone here and why I responded:

" What would be the minimum in switch taking the ps4 sales though?"

Farsala said:
Miyamotoo said:

Not at all. I quote Tbone here and why I responded:

" What would be the minimum in switch taking the ps4 sales though?"

I see, but in any case Switch is selling much better than PS4 and Switch was sold out evre single week from launch, so there is no need to compare hole Switch year vs hole PS4 year.

Miyamotoo said:

But thats point, you can buy Switch for Mario Odyysey, Mario Kart or Splatoon 2 even if you are not Nintendo fan because great reception and popularity of those games, huge Switch hype in Japan, or portability of Switch, and Switch is also home console in same time like PS4. Point that Switch are buying only Nintendo fans in Japan is wrong. If some person can buy only one console for holiday season, its not hard to imagine that they can easily choose Switch over PS4 because things I mentioned, and that wasn't case last year when Switch wasn't on market. Switch definitely affecting on PS4 sales in Japan.

PS4 this year will be well ahead YOY in every market in world, but only in Japan there is chance that will not be YOY.

You cannot steal sales when there's none to steal. When Switch main selling point currently is 1st party games and the other is 3rd party games at the moment and when we all know handheld is a thing in Japan.
Besides even when Switch isn't out yet PS4 is selling good and not Switch level. It didn't light the chart consistently. There are spike here and there but PS4 cannot maintain the sales after a few weeks it will drop again to 15k-25k level and also last year was FFXV, Yakuza 6, slim,  and pro launch we will need to consider that variable as well.
Bottom line is even without the Switch. PS4 never sold amazing even with games like DQ, FF, MGS, RE, Persona and etc. 

Also, when in top 20 in MC is dominated by 1st party games. Your main argument at bold  is invalid already. Currently the main selling point of Switch is the strong 1st party line up. Majority of user of Switch fans of Mario, Splatoon and Zelda or Nintendo gamers in general. We don't have any concrete data yet for 3rd party games because there are only few has managed to sell good and almost are port from older games so if not the strong 1st party line up then what's the main selling point of Switch at the moment then?

Around the Network
NoCtiS_NoX said:
Miyamotoo said:

But thats point, you can buy Switch for Mario Odyysey, Mario Kart or Splatoon 2 even if you are not Nintendo fan because great reception and popularity of those games, huge Switch hype in Japan, or portability of Switch, and Switch is also home console in same time like PS4. Point that Switch are buying only Nintendo fans in Japan is wrong. If some person can buy only one console for holiday season, its not hard to imagine that they can easily choose Switch over PS4 because things I mentioned, and that wasn't case last year when Switch wasn't on market. Switch definitely affecting on PS4 sales in Japan.

PS4 this year will be well ahead YOY in every market in world, but only in Japan there is chance that will not be YOY.

You cannot steal sales when there's none to steal. When Switch main selling point currently is 1st party games and the other is 3rd party games at the moment and when we all know handheld is a thing in Japan.
Besides even when Switch isn't out yet PS4 is selling good and not Switch level. It didn't light the chart consistently. There are spike here and there but PS4 cannot maintain the sales after a few weeks it will drop again to 15k-25k level and also last year was FFXV, Yakuza 6, slim,  and pro launch we will need to consider that variable as well.
Bottom line is even without the Switch. PS4 never sold amazing even with games like DQ, FF, MGS, RE, Persona and etc. 

Also, when in top 20 in MC is dominated by 1st party games. Your main argument at bold  is invalid already. Currently the main selling point of Switch is the strong 1st party line up. Majority of user of Switch fans of Mario, Splatoon and Zelda or Nintendo gamers in general. We don't have any concrete data yet for 3rd party games because there are only few has managed to sell good and almost are port from older games so if not the strong 1st party line up then what's the main selling point of Switch at the moment then?

"Anyone thinking that the Switch and the PS4 are not stealing sales from one another is just being delusional. There are people out there in the world, or in this case Japan, that are choosing between the two. If both didn't exist, they would get the one that did. But since they both exist, some people are choosing one or the other". Point is simple, PS4 sales in some way would probably be better in Japan also like in rest world where PS4 is notcible YOY up, if Switch isnt so much popular in Japan.

How exactly thats make my argument invalid, fact that 1st party games are best selling Switch games doesn't mean that they are selling only to Nintendo fans. Offocurse that great and incredibly popular games like Zelda BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey can be bouth and buy people that are not Nintendo fans. Like I wrote, you can buy Switch for Zelda BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey even if you are not Nintendo fan because of great reception (I mean Zelda BotW and Mario Odyssey are one best critically acclaimed games ever, MK8D is one of best MK game ever and Splatoon is strongest new IP in Japan) and popularity of those games, huge Switch popularity and hype in Japan, or portability of Switch, and Switch is also home console in same time like PS4, can easily affect someone to choose Switch instead of PS4. We already seeing plenty of people that saying that Switch is their first Nintendo console in long time (in couple of generations) or even first Nintendo console ever.

Miyamotoo said:
Kerotan said:

Plot twist. Because switch stock isn't enough to meet demand, some gamers who can only buy 1 console but can't get a switch are choosing ps4 instead. 

Ps4 cannibalizing switch sales confirmed?

Thats not plot twist thats also realistic possibility, definitely is possible that some people that don't want to wait for better Switch stock so that they can choose PS4 instead.

Totally different situations, Switch is sold out in any case so some people cant buy one even if they want it, so PS4 cant cannibalizing Switch sales (curently), and even with stock issues its selling on weekly basis several times better than PS4. Also PS4 is alaredy 4 years on market, and in Japan Switch is that hot, new, very popular and very hyped console that everyone wants not PS4, so Switch defiantly effects on PS4 sales.

Farsala said:

Switch wasn't available all year. If you want to use full year then use March to March.

But we were talking about PS4 sales, not Switch sales.

Everybody clearly doesn't want it when switch has been out for most of this year and ps4 so far is having it's best year ever. 

tbone51 said:
Kerotan said:

Plot twist. Because switch stock isn't enough to meet demand, some gamers who can only buy 1 console but can't get a switch are choosing ps4 instead. 

Ps4 cannibalizing switch sales confirmed?

I just want to point out the irony in this. You said they dont affect each other yet this plot twist bends in favor of the ps4? How can it not be the other way around then lol

Who said I was being serious..

Miyamotoo said:
Farsala said:

And yet you refuse to discuss the key factors on why ps4 q4 2016 was so unusually high. Ps4 pro , slim , price cut + FFXV. 

Kerotan said:

Miyamotoo said:

And yet you refuse to discuss the key factors on why ps4 q4 2016 was so unusually high. Ps4 pro , slim , price cut + FFXV. 

No I dont refuse, but you have some problem with reading so I dont see point to reply that to you any more, for last time:

"Ps4 slim price cut, pro and FFXV" were thing world wide, not just specifically in Japan, and for every market outside Japan PS4 will have solid YOY up difference, and there is a possibilities that only PS4 in Japan will be YOY down. And again, I was very clear, last few weeks sales are basically same around 25k, even we getting closer to holiday season, that doesn't have anything with last year sales".

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 04 December 2017

Miyamotoo said:
Kerotan said:

No I dont refuse, but you have some problem with reading so I dont see point to reply that to you any more, for last time:

"Ps4 slim price cut, pro and FFXV" were thing world wide, not just specifically in Japan, and for every market outside Japan PS4 will have solid YOY up difference, and there is a possibilities that only PS4 in Japan will be YOY down. And again, I was very clear, last few weeks sales are basically same around 25k, even we getting closer to holiday season, that doesn't have anything with last year sales".

That point would actually hold zone wait except for the fact that the west received many more titles suited to them this Q4 then Japan. Also unlike Japan the west had some crazy price promotions. $199 BF ps4 for example. 

Again it would be weird if the west wasn't up YOY in Q4 and Japan wasn't down. 

you know... I found it really amusing to see that there´s still people out there buying 1,2,Switch....