By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Bold Prediction : PS4 goes over 130m Lifetime.

PS4 > 130m lifetime?

yes 43 48.31%

no 40 44.94%

see results. 6 6.74%

Total:89
leyendax69 said:

Huh... hard to say. I'm personally expecting 110-115M unless Sony keeps supporting the console after ps5 is released (which I assume will be out in 2020). And by that I mean supporting with big franchises and not just ports.

PS3's 2013 was amazing when you count first party games and even then, legs were pretty garbage after PS4 released, so I would say we can expect something similar this time.

I would say 130 is still possible but I'm not seeing it yet

I think the comparison with the PS3 isn’t fair. They couldn’t scale down the price a lot on the PS3 - which is why its lowest RRP was $269 for the 250GB Super Slim with the 500GB one being $299. I think the PS4 will go down to $149 at some point.

Around the Network

The PS2 had the massive advantage of being cheap very early in its life. The equivalent would have been the PS4 being $199 in mid-2016 or $269 in September 2015. Imagine how much more it would have sold by now.

VGPolyglot said:
vivster said:

Good for you, then.

Sorry, but there is still a market for consoles, as much as you don't like it.

I know that, which is why I'm complaining. It's a sad when things sell well not because they are good but merely because they are good enough and there is zero choice in the matter.

Look at Battlefront 2. It sells really well. Not because it's good in any way but because it simply is the only new Star Wars game there is. It's just really sad when there is no choice.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Lawlight said:
leyendax69 said:

Huh... hard to say. I'm personally expecting 110-115M unless Sony keeps supporting the console after ps5 is released (which I assume will be out in 2020). And by that I mean supporting with big franchises and not just ports.

PS3's 2013 was amazing when you count first party games and even then, legs were pretty garbage after PS4 released, so I would say we can expect something similar this time.

I would say 130 is still possible but I'm not seeing it yet

I think the comparison with the PS3 isn’t fair. They couldn’t scale down the price a lot on the PS3 - which is why its lowest RRP was $269 for the 250GB Super Slim with the 500GB one being $299. I think the PS4 will go down to $149 at some point.

Ya, price will probably make a difference at that point. Not sure if enough for it to reach 130M, but if it does I'm not going to be that surprised to be honest.

I think people abuse the word bold too much.

Imo, i think is not likely, but is not bold at all PS4 at 130 million lifetime. Same with 140 million. Is close to the 70 million mark, and has still at least 2 years of strong sales, so i definitively see a good chance for that happening.

110-120 million looks more realistic to me tho.

Around the Network

It's to bolds, and it's for a simple reason: the PS5 will come out sooner than everyone is expecting.

Sony has already stated that the PS4 Pro was a defensive move against PC, as they noted consumers move to PC in a console's midlife. The PS5 will be another half-step to keep players on PlayStation. With more revenue coming from PSPlus, they want to keep consumers on as long as possible. This means Sony has a greater incentive to keep people on PS and not migrating. There is also the reality of Nintendo Switch which will absorb a lot of Sony's software pipeline. Because Sony is dependent on third-party companies to bring the software, they can't let Nintendo remain unchallenged. If Sony waits to long, all of the new projects that are starting could be Switch focused or a Switch exclusive. The big driver is PC, but I think Sony will move as Switch gets more and more software (removing Sony's competitive advantage over Nintendo).

I do think projections for PS4 are overly aggressive anyway. Sony projected a decline in shipments which means a decline in sales going forward. 2017 will likely be about 2016 and then decline thereafter. 2018 will not see 20 million sold (18m would be good).

It could probably break 100 million over the next two years, but I think it will end up right around there.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

VideoGameAccountant said:
It's to bolds, and it's for a simple reason: the PS5 will come out sooner than everyone is expecting.

Sony has already stated that the PS4 Pro was a defensive move against PC, as they noted consumers move to PC in a console's midlife. The PS5 will be another half-step to keep players on PlayStation. With more revenue coming from PSPlus, they want to keep consumers on as long as possible. This means Sony has a greater incentive to keep people on PS and not migrating. There is also the reality of Nintendo Switch which will absorb a lot of Sony's software pipeline. Because Sony is dependent on third-party companies to bring the software, they can't let Nintendo remain unchallenged. If Sony waits to long, all of the new projects that are starting could be Switch focused or a Switch exclusive. The big driver is PC, but I think Sony will move as Switch gets more and more software (removing Sony's competitive advantage over Nintendo).

I do think projections for PS4 are overly aggressive anyway. Sony projected a decline in shipments which means a decline in sales going forward. 2017 will likely be about 2016 and then decline thereafter. 2018 will not see 20 million sold (18m would be good).

It could probably break 100 million over the next two years, but I think it will end up right around there.

"The PS5 will be another half-step to keep players on PlayStation."

it wont, it ll be its own gen.

"There is also the reality of Nintendo Switch which will absorb a lot of Sony's software pipeline."

Why? PS4 will be at 80m units shipped soon. Why would the switch steal anything software wise from the PS4? it ll be minor, most developers want their stuff on the console with 80m units (vs the one at 13m or so, by then).

"Because Sony is dependent on third-party companies to bring the software, they can't let Nintendo remain unchallenged."

Why is nintendo unchallenged? theres a PS4 and XB1 on the market place too, for people that want a console.

" If Sony waits to long, all of the new projects that are starting could be Switch focused or a Switch exclusive."

This sounds borderline crazy lol. All future software will 100% be switch exclusive confirmed, no more 3rd party for sony right? :)

"I do think projections for PS4 are overly aggressive anyway. Sony projected a decline in shipments which means a decline in sales going forward."

They shipped 20m last year, and this year their planning to ship 19m. They upped their forecast from 18m to 19m, and I wouldnt be surprised if they did more.

So it ll end up another 20m this year too, come march you ll hear sony talking about how it beat their predictions or such.

"2017 will likely be about 2016 and then decline thereafter. 2018 will not see 20 million sold (18m would be good)."

That sounds resonable..... 20m in 2017, like 2016 was, putting it at 80m, and then it does 18m units in 2018 putting it around 98m come start of 2019.

"It could probably break 100 million over the next two years, but I think it will end up right around there."

You just said it would do 18m in 2018 above..... that means it ll probably be around 100m in almost 1 year, not 2.

80m + 18m = 98m, by your own words, it should do what you said break 100m almost within 1 year.

If it does so, and still has 2019,2020 (ps5 launch), 2021,2022,2023 to sell in... you dont think it ll go well over 100m? that doesnt sound logical.

I think 130m is certainly possible but things like Yakuza & Fist of the North Star are definitely not the reason.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
I think 130m is certainly possible but things like Yakuza & Fist of the North Star are definitely not the reason.

They’re not the sole reason.

I love my PS4 Pro, I love Sony games or even some third party games that end up on the PS, I am glad to see the Playstation crush it this generation but that must not prevent me from being realistic. I believe the PS4 should reach 100 million units but I don't see it go beyond that for many reasons. Tough competition, new gen coming in about 2 years, third party games getting more expensive or dishonest (Lootboxes, Micro-transactions...) etc.

That said 100 million units is an absolute crusher and no one can say it would be a poor sale, by no standards whatsoever. But 130m, that's just too much, in my opinion of course