By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yooka-Laylee’s Switch version runs at 900p when docked, 600p in handheld mode

I was really excited for Yooka-Laylee & Rime back in Spring/Summer but i think they missed their window of opportunity.

After Zelda there was a lack of 3D, single player adveture games (mostly multiplayer & 2D games) that these games could have capitalized on but after delays and mixed reviews along with some big games that released this fall to satisfy that play style (Mario & Skyrim), i think the hype for the Switch version of these games have dropped significantly.

They might still do well but far less than if they released in Spring/Summer.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I've lost interest unfortunately. The WiiU cancellation left a bad taste in my mouth, but I'd probably still give it a a go (pending price not being ridiculous) if it weren't for Odyssey sating my collectathon needs.

Any news on the Amiibo?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
xl-klaudkil said:
Jesus not even hd ready.

And yea framerate

I was going to defend you by saying that full HD is techincally 1080p + .. but apparently there is literally a term called "HD Ready" that means 720p. Didn't even know that term existed!

So ... you're wrong techincally.

Have you ever looked up the word "full"? That was a marketing term. Calling 1080P full would mean, by definition, there is no higher resolution. It was all bullshit to get people with perfectly fine 720P tv's to upgrade. 

I feel like this game has missed its window of opportunity to sell well on Switch, but at least it sounds like they've taken the time to make it a quality port.

900p is sweet! Mario Oddysey runs at this resolution and looks sweet, so does Zelda BOTW. Finally it's coming! I'm still going to wait for a physical release

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Resolution is not what is important for a game like this. What is FPS, or is the FPS stable more importantly.

If the Switch was more powerful you could have resolution and a stable FPS.

Goodnightmoon said:

900p is HD and 600p on a 6.2" screen looks better than 1080p on a huge TV.

Incorrect.
900P is 1600x900. (16:9 ratio.)

HD or "High Definition" is 720P.
720P is 1280x720. (16:9 ratio.)

Ergo, 900P is greater than HD.

Now 600P on a 6.2" screen looks like 600P on a 6.2" screen, does it look better than 1080P on a big TV? Hardly, especially if high quality anti-aliasing is used.
600P is 1066x600. - I was gaming at higher resolutions than that 20 years ago.

Of course, I am also not a fan of low resolutions like 1080P, so I am a little biased.

AlfredoTurkey said:

Have you ever looked up the word "full"? That was a marketing term. Calling 1080P full would mean, by definition, there is no higher resolution. It was all bullshit to get people with perfectly fine 720P tv's to upgrade. 

4k is also a marketing term. As 4k isn't actually 4000 horizontal lines.

As long as people know what the marketing terms are used in reference with, who cares?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

if it's priced more than $20, we aint singing the same tune.

Ok this looks good, gameplay looks smooth, not bad

With how it was originally running on the other systems (specifically Xbox1), I had worried it would be much worse.

I've been waiting for the Switch version to actually play this game, but I worry that a game I may have found fun will instead feel lacking now that I've sunk 70 hours into Mario Odyssey.

Bandorr said:
Shikamo said:

I think it will cost $40 (yes, relatively high), ps4 and x1 both run at 1080p/30fps.

So the same as Xenoverse in a way. Worse resolution, possible worse frame rate - while at the same time costing more because it is "new" to the system.

Disappointing.

Xenoverse looks fine though. Only issue is that for some reason the hub world runs like hell. No idea why battles are smooth but the city isn't