By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yooka-Laylee’s Switch version runs at 900p when docked, 600p in handheld mode

Baddman said:

about damn time its releasing..now what is the price? I'm not paying more than 20 bucks for this

You won't be buying it then.  No way a game like this, on a Nintendo system, launches for $20.  I'm going with $39

Around the Network
xl-klaudkil said:
Jesus not even FHD ready.

And yea framerate

Fixed.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

I hope it bombs. I really dislike the company lmao. They seem very shady and I did not have a good interaction with one of the Devs.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

zorg1000 said:
I was really excited for Yooka-Laylee & Rime back in Spring/Summer but i think they missed their window of opportunity.

After Zelda there was a lack of 3D, single player adveture games (mostly multiplayer & 2D games) that these games could have capitalized on...

Both these games would have done decent numbers at any point before the end of August. Now... not so much. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Pemalite said: 

Now 600P on a 6.2" screen looks like 600P on a 6.2" screen, does it look better than 1080P on a big TV? Hardly, especially if high quality anti-aliasing is used.
600P is 1066x600. - I was gaming at higher resolutions than that 20 years ago.

Even if take 32" TV thats not relly defintion of "big" TV, 1920x1080 on 32" screen has 68.84 pixel density, 1066x600 on 6.2" screen has 197.3 pixel density. Also when you play Switch in portable mode Switch screen is far away from your eyes around 1-2 feet, when you playing on TV people are usually around 7-10 feets away from TV.

So it's obvious that game will look better in handheld mode on 6.2" screen at 600p than 1080p on big TV, I mean there is reason why almost all Switch games look better in handheld mode compared to TV.

Around the Network

It seems thats good port so I hope it will sell good, but definitely missed opportunity with earlier launch.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

apparently there is literally a term called "HD Ready" that means 720p. Didn't even know that term existed!

You must be very young. This label was on every single new tv back in 2006.

SKMBlake said:

apparently there is literally a term called "HD Ready" that means 720p. Didn't even know that term existed!

Only takes a second to view my profile

I was using a CRT TV until 2013. Although to be fair my TV probably did say HD ready and I just forgot. 

SKMBlake said:

Only takes a second to view my profile

I was using a CRT TV until 2013. Although to be fair my TV probably did say HD ready and I just forgot. 

Indeed you're pretty young. You couldn't miss the "HD Ready" logo back then. It didn't stand long, it was replaced by "HD" and "Full HD" two or three years later (cause "HD Ready" was not clear enough)

Pemalite said: 
Goodnightmoon said:

900p is HD and 600p on a 6.2" screen looks better than 1080p on a huge TV.

Incorrect.
900P is 1600x900. (16:9 ratio.)

HD or "High Definition" is 720P.
720P is 1280x720. (16:9 ratio.)

Ergo, 900P is greater than HD.

Now 600P on a 6.2" screen looks like 600P on a 6.2" screen, does it look better than 1080P on a big TV? Hardly, especially if high quality anti-aliasing is used.
600P is 1066x600. - I was gaming at higher resolutions than that 20 years ago.

Of course, I am also not a fan of low resolutions like 1080P, so I am a little biased.

Really... You think I'm 6 years old or something? I know resolutions and everyone knows 720p is HD, my point is that 900p is inside the spectrum of HD so his comment made no sense.

And yes 600p on a 6.2"screen has a way bigger pixel density than 1080p on a huge TV, so it looks better.

Last edited by Goodnightmoon - on 29 November 2017