By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Reviews - (83) Metacritic (83) Opencritic

Kyuu said:
OTBWY said:

This theme is sooooooo good. This is the new You Will Know Our Names

Or maybe it is the new.. "Awakening"

Someone in the comments actually said it best: The new Awakening theme is the lovechild of Xenoblade 1's You Will Know Our Names and My Hero Academia's You Say Run.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
OTBWY said:

Someone in the comments actually said it best: The new Awakening theme is the lovechild of Xenoblade 1's You Will Know Our Names and My Hero Academia's You Say Run.

And the original Awakening would be the godfather! :P

It's interesting though.. that both are composed by Yasunori Mitsuda (my favorite video game composer of all time) he gave it the same name yet they sound nothing alike. Would have been nice if it had light glimpses from the original as a throwback but I have a feelings he forgot he'd already used that name for one of his old pieces... even when the piece is the goddamned final boss theme..

I guess the title is simply a coincidence, since both games have similar themes with "awakening" if that makes sense.

But yeah, Yasunori Mitsuda is also one of my faves, right up there for me with Yoko Shimomura, David Wise and Tim Follin.

OTBWY said:

I haven’t heard this song yet, but holy crap I’m hyped.

————-

Anyway, I was a few points off for my score, but I really feel like it deserves a higher score. It absolutely captures everything I loved about the original XC. I spent probably three hours last night just exploring the first field area...I can’t put it down!

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Super_Boom said:
OTBWY said:

I haven’t heard this song yet, but holy crap I’m hyped.

————-

Anyway, I was a few points off for my score, but I really feel like it deserves a higher score. It absolutely captures everything I loved about the original XC. I spent probably three hours last night just exploring the first field area...I can’t put it down!

Here it is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHZdlE4kR54

Played for about 6 hours yesterday, really enjoying it thus far.
Story is very interesting, a few anime cliches here and there, but nothing so far that has made me hate it.
Voice acting has been very good, except for Nia which simply sounds...weird and doesn’t fit the character.
Battles are freaking amazing, very slow at the beginning of the game since you basically only auto-attack and don’t do much beyond that, but after arriving to Gormott the battles pick up and it can only get better from there.
Music is beautiful...the city music in Gormott (can’t remember the name) in both day and night is...wow.

Last edited by osed125 - on 05 December 2017

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

About 14 hours and loving it. Story is great, I've hit a bit of a slump in the story but that's to be expected every now and then. What's really been surprising to me is how well the story is going (expected worse from what reviews said) and the combat system.

The combat system is really deep. The best part is you actually have to use the deep system in order to progress. In other games they'll have deep combat system or equipment system available but you can ignore it all and simply proceed with auto attackrandom equipment. If you try to do that here you will die. I actually had to stop playing the game for about ten mins because I didn't pay much attention to combat tutorials. Figured I'd learn all the deep stuff when I needed it if ever. Didn't know I'd need it almost immediately.

osed125 said:
Played for about 6 hours yesterday, really enjoying it thus far.
Story is very interesting, a few anime cliches here and there, but nothing so far that has made me hate it.
Voice acting has been very good, except for Nia which simply sounds...weird and doesn’t fit the character.
Battles are freaking amazing, very slow at the beginning of the game since you basically only auto-attack and don’t do much beyond that, but after arriving to Gormott the battles pick up and it can’t only get better from there.
Music is beautiful...the city music in Gormott (can’t remember the name) in both day and night is...wow.

Yeah, combat is a little slow at the start but it speeds up exponentially as you level up. Just wait until you get the ability to perform all your Arts at the start of battle, and have multiple Blades to switch between. 

osed125 said: 

I actually think Nia's VA saves the character. If she'd had the usual annoying high-pitched voice typically associated with the "cat girl" archetype she'd be massively irritating, but the lower pitched Welsh accent defuses this problem.

So after about 10 hours of playtime I restarted the game(OCD thing) and I'm about 4 hours in again.

This time I experimented with the Japanese dub. And I have to say, while I really love that the lips are synced, I think I might switch back to english. The voices in english are more distinguished and some of the characters like Nia or that little donut shaped midget guy have way better voices

Even the grandpa is great in english

"Well sure i don't know what color Emerald is supposed to be"

"GREEN. It's green you idiot. Seee!"

*picks up blue vase*