By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 sold like there was no tomorrow at my Best Buy

The Best Buy I work at in downtown Chicago sold so many 199$ PS4's it was unbelievable. I must say it greatly surprised me because it had been on sale for 199$ throughout the whole week so I did not really expect it to be that crazy tonight. We had roughly 200 PS4s in stock before 5pm (when we opened) I left at around midnight and only 17 PS4s were left. Which means tomorrow when we open the doors again at 8am we will have only 17 units in stock which will naturally sell out like hot cakes. It was seriously unbelievable, I work at the Mobile Department and as I was looking around the store i could see 1/3 of all the present customers were holding a PS4 in their hands it was unbelievable. Also a friend of mine who works at Best Buy but in a different location told me the same story of how they almost sold out of all the PS4 units they had.   Also, I will have to say Nintendo Switch came in second that also kinda surprised me since the console is 299$ I must say I am impressed by Nintendo switch it's very popular.  

Did Sony underestimate the demand or what?

I trust no one, not even myself.

Around the Network

Out of curiosity, how many Switch units did you sell? I'm interested to see how it performs on Black Friday as its obviously full price. It would be a good achievement if it keeps pace with discounted consoles. As for PS4, Its a given that it will keep selling gangbusters, there is still a lot of demand.

If Amazon is any indicator, $199 PS4 is a sales beast everywhere. PS4 wins Black Friday confirmed?

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Did you see what games the customers where leaving with?

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

SnakeDrake said:
Did you see what games the customers where leaving with?

Wow that's a great question I did not pay that much attention to the games itself as I said I work in the Mobile Department so i did not get to ring them out at the registers, however a lot of customers were asking for COD WW2 and the sports games Madden/NBA etc.

I trust no one, not even myself.

Around the Network
FattyDingDong said:

Back when they hit 60m, they where forecasting sales would be abit lower this year, and only shipping 18m.

They raised it to 19m at some point, but its probably still too low, this year should be the peak.

hopefully they ended up shipping more than that, and come April 2018, PS4 will be well over 80m.

Sounds like Sony did underestimate demand in the US.

Stocks are also huge in my country, considering we're only a population of 400,000. Hoping for the best :)

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Kyuu said:
FattyDingDong said:

It looks like everyone did.

Yeah, seems so;)

Expected for me. It's the console of choice by far and large now

This is crazy world... How much have sony expected to sell in USA for they to be sold out so early on its 4th year? I will say it must have been good volume (even if Switch have been winning NPDs and X1X is to launch, PS4 still was seeing growth YOY every month, and BF was just ahead) but 199 was just to much for the sales to resist demand.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."