By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I love short games

Do you share my fondness for short games?

Yes 16 53.33%

No 12 40.00%

See results 2 6.67%

Total:30

I love short games. But mostly when they have an arcade-ish feel, as in:
make me beat the game over and over again (no story needed)
offer something to shoot for (high scores, crazier difficulties)
introduce advanced techniques (even if they are considered bugs and not features) that offer a deeper experience for high score runs
(so no novel games, obviously, or small puzzlers that will have the same gameplay over and over again)

I'll pay full price for these games whereas any "bigger" story-driven or huge world game rarely sees me buy it before it goes on sale.

Around the Network
caffeinade said:

Do you like short games; do we need more short games?
Would you rather play: Xenoblade 2 or The beginner's Guide?

more short games? nope.

Xenoblade 2 by far.

Im big on story/character developement, and that takes time.

Smaller shorter games feel empty to me, you could play them for the gameplay but it just feels wasted most of the time.

So yeah not enjoyable imo, and not really memorable either.

For every person like you, Im sure theres like 10 that think like I do.

I like a bit of both. Whenever I finish a long game I don't feel like jumping straight into another long game so I play a couple of shorter games in between. When I play really long games I tend to take breaks to play some shorter ones and then get back to the main game. I'm currently trying to wrap up my playthrough of Xenoblade Chronicles X and expect my total playtime to end up around the 400 hour mark. I really, really like the game (otherwise I would've stopped playing a long time ago) but I would've gone mad if I hadn't had some short games to play while battling this beast.

caffeinade said:
mZuzek said:

$4.

Whilst you bring up a decent point; If you don't have $4 and an hour to spare...

What are you doing.

Paying $60 for a great game with 100 hours playtime instead of paying $60 for 15 small games and 15 hours playtime.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Games are games. I don't really care about length as long as I'm satisfied with the overall product. Sometimes I feel a game drags on too long (Like with The Phantom Pain), and sometimes I feel like the game could have given me just a bit more of gameplay (like with Ori and the Blind Forest). Then there's the realization that some games aren't actually that long once you understand what you gotta do (something that generally happens with every Resident Evil, that even encourage the player to beat the game under three hours to unlock stuff). As long as the experience is gratifying and doesn't cut short, I'm on board with short games too.

Around the Network

Long games can be annoying due to bloat (often by open world busywork) or the fanbase assuring you "it gets better about fifteen hours in." (I hate, hate, HATE that BS.)

On the other hand, short games can be annoying because they often feel like they end just as the story is "getting good," or before the mechanics within have been explored to satisfactory levels.

But...short games can be very nice, as you can jam in a wide variety of experiences (often replayable experiences) in the time it takes to have one epic AAA experience.

JRPGfan said:
caffeinade said:

Do you like short games; do we need more short games?
Would you rather play: Xenoblade 2 or The beginner's Guide?

more short games? nope.

Xenoblade 2 by far.

Im big on story/character developement, and that takes time.

Smaller shorter games feel empty to me, you could play them for the gameplay but it just feels wasted most of the time.

So yeah not enjoyable imo, and not really memorable either.

For every person like you, Im sure theres like 10 that think like I do.

I like long games too, but I often find games don't contain much story per hour played.

I spent ~30 hours in Nier: Automata, and I feel the whole story could've been effectively conveyed in 1 - 4 hours.
Nier: Automata didn't have fun combat or good movement to fill the empty space; I feel like I wasted so much time playing the whole thing.

If a game can justify its run-time, then I will harbor no ill will; I adore games that know when to shut up.
I value my time; make my investment worthwhile, and I will sing your praises.

I went a few years in WoW (mainly just pvp battlegrounds for awhile) and I always buy the mainline Animal Crossing games... Oh and then there is Civ which is just hundreds if not thousands of games over and over again. I appreciate the short games sometimes because it's actually kind of nice to see game ending credits for a change.

I don't really care about how big a game is, as long as I'm satisfied with it at the end. I do tend to buy shorter games during sales though, since there are games where the price feels a bit too high for what they have to offer.

One thing I really like about shorter games is that they're usually the ones that I'm more likely to replay. I don't usually replay games but something like Bayonetta is way more enticing to play through again than BotW, for example.

arcaneguyver said:

Long games can be annoying due to bloat (often by open world busywork) or the fanbase assuring you "it gets better about fifteen hours in." (I hate, hate, HATE that BS.)

But what if there's actually the odd game that gets great after fifteen hours in?