By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - TIME's Top 10 Video Games of 2017

monocle_layton said:
PUBG definitely does not deserve to be on there. Nier Automata was a rare beat-em-up that felt satisfying to play from beginning to end.

By what metric does PUBG not deserve to be on there?

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
monocle_layton said:
PUBG definitely does not deserve to be on there. Nier Automata was a rare beat-em-up that felt satisfying to play from beginning to end.

It'll certainly be one of the most remembered titles, but that doesn't instantly make itself one of the best of the year.

monocle_layton said:

It'll certainly be one of the most remembered titles, but that doesn't instantly make itself one of the best of the year.

Didn't answer my question. Tell me why it doesn't deserve to be on the list? 

monocle_layton said:

Alright, fair enough. 

1. Hacking

All games will have this issue, but it has become a large issue since the end of September I'd say. Again, I don't automatically place it against PUBG, but seeing it simply rise in the past several weeks is ridiculous, especially for a game which gets ruined by such behaviour

2. Performance/server stability

At times a game I'm in will randomly experience insane lag or will disconnect me. I decided to be skeptical and test my internet, and no other online game has this issue (on both PC and console). It's safe to assume my PC doesn't only struggle with PUBG, and that it's an issue on them concerning their servers

3. Other minor issues

It's still an early access game, so whining over glitches or texture flaws would be ridiculously nitpicky. However, you did ask what issues I have with the game. Nothing is significant enough for me to believe it harms overall gameplay

My original belief doesn't come from the flaws from the games. Rather, I don't believe it is unique or oustanding enough to be regarded as a top game.

The New Super Mario Bros series will always be my example of a game that is consistent and enjoyable, but never worthy of being in any top list. Yes, they manage to be rather solid, but in my opinion (which shouldn't hold much weight) there are other games which stand out from above the crowd.

As I said, PUBG is very enjoyable. Don't get me wrong there. I simply believe it isn't worthy of being a top ten game

monocle_layton said:

Alright, fair enough. 

1. Hacking

All games will have this issue, but it has become a large issue since the end of September I'd say. Again, I don't automatically place it against PUBG, but seeing it simply rise in the past several weeks is ridiculous, especially for a game which gets ruined by such behaviour

At times a game I'm in will randomly experience insane lag or will disconnect me. I decided to be skeptical and test my internet, and no other online game has this issue (on both PC and console). It's safe to assume my PC doesn't only struggle with PUBG, and that it's an issue on them concerning their servers

3. Other minor issues

It's still an early access game, so whining over glitches or texture flaws would be ridiculously nitpicky. However, you did ask what issues I have with the game. Nothing is significant enough for me to believe it harms overall gameplay

My original belief doesn't come from the flaws from the games. Rather, I don't believe it is unique or oustanding enough to be regarded as a top game.

The New Super Mario Bros series will always be my example of a game that is consistent and enjoyable, but never worthy of being in any top list. Yes, they manage to be rather solid, but in my opinion (which shouldn't hold much weight) there are other games which stand out from above the crowd.

As I said, PUBG is very enjoyable. Don't get me wrong there. I simply believe it isn't worthy of being a top ten game

Well, I'll at least give you credit : You played the game, and your opinions are clear and understandable.

That being said, I will say it's rather annoying to see, in nearly every discussion about game of the year, people saying that it doesn't deserve to be even mentioned. Mind you, the game is only on PC, so you can tell most of these people haven't even played it. I have no problem with suggesting a game shouldn't be on a list because of personal opinions, but it has almost become a point of automation for people. I really do suspect that there is becoming almost a mob mentality around how much it doesn't deserve it. Yet, most of these people have not played it and haven't given their opinion a second thought. 

Hell, I'm not even a big fan of the game, but I can definitely say it is one of the most fun and unique experiences I had all year and it shortly revived my interest in multiplayer games. People don't understand how having a rather close-minded mentality about what games traditionally deserve recognition can be very destructive, and this is coming from a guy who's overly critical about just every game. I'm comfortable in my opinions on some games but even then I take risks and make sure i'm firm in my belief. 

It's a great title and I honestly do think it deserves to be on the list. But even if I didn't, I think I would have the sense to think it should at least be on there. I don't know, in general I get annoyed of trends that are never put to the test or critiqued,  even trends I agree with, and I find the downplaying of PUBG to be a valid example of this. 

That being said, it definitely wouldn't make my top 10 list. But uh ... the list isn't mine. 

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Destiny 2 should be #1 imo

For some reason it's at #0 in the OP.

axumblade said: 
Actually, to be honest this is probably one of the best lists that Time magazine has had overall for GOTY. Generally they have a few randos that make their list, I could at least make a point for all of these games to be up there on this list this year.

Although the lack of Dream Daddy is saddening. I'm just going to assume it came in at number 11.

I agree, it's not a bad list. The thing is that whenever you make a list, there are bound to be disagreements.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

mZuzek said:
pitzy272 said:

Have you played Pyre?? That game is fantastic. Just finished it. Loved it enough I decided to Platinum it, which I do maybe once every 2 years. And I actually want to play through it all over again. 

I haven't. It might be cool, I don't know - it just didn't catch my eye if I ever saw it anywhere.

Highly recommend it. One of my favorite games of the year. Honestly didn’t think it looked good from the trailers, but it ended up being awesome. It’s from the creator of Bastion and Transistor. 

Only thing I would change is replacing Destiny 2 with Divinity 2 or RE7. Overall, solid list tho.

monocle_layton said:

Alright, fair enough. 

1. Hacking

3. Other minor issues

Well, I'll at least give you credit : You played the game, and your opinions are clear and understandable.

That being said, I will say it's rather annoying to see, in nearly every discussion about game of the year, people saying that it doesn't deserve to be even mentioned. Mind you, the game is only on PC, so you can tell most of these people haven't even played it. I have no problem with suggesting a game shouldn't be on a list because of personal opinions, but it has almost become a point of automation for people. I really do suspect that there is becoming almost a mob mentality around how much it doesn't deserve it. Yet, most of these people have not played it and haven't given their opinion a second thought. 

Hell, I'm not even a big fan of the game, but I can definitely say it is one of the most fun and unique experiences I had all year and it shortly revived my interest in multiplayer games. People don't understand how having a rather close-minded mentality about what games traditionally deserve recognition can be very destructive, and this is coming from a guy who's overly critical about just every game. I'm comfortable in my opinions on some games but even then I take risks and make sure i'm firm in my belief. 

It's a great title and I honestly do think it deserves to be on the list. But even if I didn't, I think I would have the sense to think it should at least be on there. I don't know, in general I get annoyed of trends that are never put to the test or critiqued,  even trends I agree with, and I find the downplaying of PUBG to be a valid example of this. 

That being said, it definitely wouldn't make my top 10 list. But uh ... the list isn't mine. 

That's why people should seperate top lists and most memorable lists. A list with the most recognized games of 2017 would probably be:

BotW

Odyssey

PUBG

Persona 5

Battlefront 2 (for bad reasons)

Cuphead

Horizon Zero Dawn

Two other games that can be debated

The bandwagon against any game will always be ridiculous. 99% of people bashing Ultra Sun/Moon didn't even play the game before it came out, and it was clear when I played it a week before any reviews came out.

People will always be full of biases, and I'm not prone to it either. However, I'll prefer to actually try things out before I actually judge it.

PUBG doesn't deserve to be on the list because it's still in early access.