By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - TIME's Top 10 Video Games of 2017

mZuzek said:

The point stands, though. It's kinda weird to say they're "mostly" just looking at AAA games when an indie is placed as high as #3 and Cuphead is ahead of Destiny and Horizon.

Edit: also, personally I'd say this was quite a weak year for indies, at least looking at them from the outside. I'm not sure if I've played many, if any, this year, but I've seen nothing exciting or interesting anywhere, unlike previous years when we had games like Ori or Hyper Light Drifter or Shovel Knight or whatever. This year I feel like AAA definitely overshadowed the indies with loads of quality titles.

Yeah, but my point was about seeing more indie titles in the list. The majority of it has more AAA titles than indie ones. 

There have been quite a few good ones, like Owl boy, Ruiner, Night in the Woods, Tokyo 42, Cuphead, Day of Infamy, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Nidhogg 2, Expeditions: Viking, Factorio, Pyre, Slime Rancher, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Yooka-Laylee, and many more.

This year has had a lot of good indie titles, it's just gaming sites that cover them, while the general public media tends to cover AAA titles far more than indie ones. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Nothing surprising on that list, except for Destiny maybe.

*breaks through wall*

Where the

*tosses table up*

f*** is

*roundhouse kicks mass of zombies*

Resident Evil 4!?

SociopathicSocialite said:
Awwwwww, wheres the XBONE exlusives.......oh wait

That's not the criteria in use for this list, fyi.

Ka-pi96 said:
KLAMarine said:
*breaks through wall*

Where the

*tosses table up*

f*** is

*roundhouse kicks mass of zombies*

Resident Evil 4!?

I'd assume that's busy being back in 2005. It's 2017 now dood...

It's always 2005 when I play that masterpiece.

Around the Network

Destiny 2 doesn't deserve to be on that list. I could list 20 games, from this year, that will be better remembered in 10 years' time.

I can't really comment on whether I agree with this list or not, since I've only played a few titles on it, I do think Mario, Zelda, Persona 5 and Cuphead definitely merit a spot on the list

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

PUBG definitely does not deserve to be on there. Nier Automata was a rare beat-em-up that felt satisfying to play from beginning to end.

mZuzek said:
Chazore said:

Notice I said "mostly"

The point stands, though. It's kinda weird to say they're "mostly" just looking at AAA games when an indie is placed as high as #3 and Cuphead is ahead of Destiny and Horizon.

Edit: also, personally I'd say this was quite a weak year for indies, at least looking at them from the outside. I'm not sure if I've played many, if any, this year, but I've seen nothing exciting or interesting anywhere, unlike previous years when we had games like Ori or Hyper Light Drifter or Shovel Knight or whatever. This year I feel like AAA definitely overshadowed the indies with loads of quality titles.

Have you played Pyre?? That game is fantastic. Just finished it. Loved it enough I decided to Platinum it, which I do maybe once every 2 years. And I actually want to play through it all over again. 

Pretty decent list by comparison to what we've seen so far.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7