By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - FCC is trying to end net neutrality. This is what it can look like.

If my internet provided did this... I would change Internet providers. It's that simple.
Thankfully Australia tends to be a little more sensible in this cases.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Hiku said:

"In Portugal, with no net neutrality, internet providers are starting to split the net into packages."

"The Federal Communications Commission released a plan on Tuesday to dismantle landmark regulations that ensure equal access to the internet, clearing the way for internet service companies to charge users more to see certain content and to curb access to some websites.

The proposal, made by the F.C.C. chairman, Ajit Pai, is a sweeping repeal of rules put in place by the Obama administration. The rules prohibit high-speed internet service providers, or I.S.P.s, from stopping or slowing down the delivery of websites. They also prevent the companies from charging customers extra fees for high-quality streaming and other services."
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/technology/fcc-net-neutrality.html

Here are some scenarios that can become reality in the US as a result of this:

More on Ro Khanna's twitter: https://twitter.com/RoKhanna

Ajit Pai made sure to mention that the regulations they are trying to tear down were placed by Obama, to make sure that people who dislike Obama will blindly support it, not realizing they're screwing themselves over.

If you don't understand what net neutrality is, I suggest this very informative video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vuuZt7wak

People...I can just say one thing: If you allow this to happen it’s your own fault! If you don’t stand together to fight this shit it’s going to happen to you.

Imagine if EA ran the internet. That's what we are up against.

Sometimes I want to punch Ajit Pai in the face everytime he smiles.

Last edited by darkenergy - on 25 November 2017

Proud to be a Californian.

Mr Puggsly said:

People create the worst case scenario and I doubt it will happen.

It would probably encourage new ISP to come up if the ones we currently have exploit us. Unless government tries to control that, but again, worst case scenarios.

But it seems this is already happening in Portugal? Thus it's not a worst-case scenario but reality instead. Also, I seriously doubt any competition is going to show up to save you. I imagine it's very hard to get into telecom business, and as long as the situation doesn't get too bad (only worse), there won't be enough demand for competition anyway.

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It would probably encourage new ISP to come up if the ones we currently have exploit us. Unless government tries to control that, but again, worst case scenarios.

But it seems this is already happening in Portugal? Thus it's not a worst-case scenario but reality instead. Also, I seriously doubt any competition is going to show up to save you. I imagine it's very hard to get into telecom business, and as long as the situation doesn't get too bad (only worse), there won't be enough demand for competition anyway.

According to the Australian Beureau of Statistics I have access to 419 Internet Service Providers (With 77~ being large companies), which all have access to the same physical infrastructure.
So I am pretty sure competition in my case will ensure such a thing never happens.

People do need to complain until the cows come home... Complaints is what has brought us to the point where companies like EA are taking a long hard look at Micro-transactions, people are voting with their wallets and their voices and it's working.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

But but but games networks cost so much money nowadays. It's only fair for publishers providers to find new ways to monetize their games service to be able to pay for expensive online servers routers. Gamers Internet users are so fucking entitled nowadays.

This will probably never get out of control because at some point publishers providers will have enough money and trickle it back to their customers in form of much better games internet.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Mr Puggsly said:

Most likely current incumbents are going to cooperate to raise techical barriers in order to prevent newcomers to entry while making implict agreements on customer fees. This is what usually happens in "competitve" markets.

Wait... so how did we all manage without "net neutrality" rules in place from the initial explosion of the world wide web in the 90s all the way up to 2015? Net neutrality is archaic and makes the net about as "neutral" as the Affordable Care Act actually makes health care "affordable" for the average person (hint: it doesn't). At the core of net neutrality is the central question of who should get to control access and traffic to the internet, governments or private companies, and both have significant pros and cons.

The real issue is there are only a handful of telecom / ISPs here in the US, and they each have a near-monopoly on TV, internet and phone service in every region of the country. Years ago you had dozens of smaller, regional cable providers for example, but as the bigger ones like Comcast took over and expanded their share of the market, prices started going up and up every year and consumers had less and less of a choice. The cable / internet companies should be broken up to allow for more consumer choice and more competition in the market.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Bristow9091 said:
This is dumb as shit, I hope we don't see this sort of thing in the UK o.O

If it does, we protest. How long until they do a 'online gaming only' package which is more expensive because we use more bandwidth or some bullshit.

I can't believe any European country is even considering this. The free internet will die and the Portuguese people aren't just standing by are they? This is large corporations controlling you, don't accept it.

Hmm, pie.