By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xenoblade 2's minor, but annoying detail

Do you ever get bothered by unnecessary sexualization?

Most of the time 10 17.54%

Only if it's for a chara... 1 1.75%

Depends on context and game 25 43.86%

Never 21 36.84%

Total:57

Haven't seen anything that felt that way, but to each their own I guess.

Around the Network

This is why I like online forums, different perspectives can make us change our opinions step by step. After reading some of the few reasonable comments from people on the opposite end of the opinion spectrum, I do think that my original comments sound a tad too critical. I mean, I still don't think it fits the game well, but I do agree that i'd rather the designers make their creative vision than be bludgeoned or censored just for having the idea. It's a tough call because I've never had a problem with a game like this before(I'd even usually agree with the more fanservice the better), and even now it's not really a problem just a nitpick criticism.

For me it's all about the quality of the character designs and the context of them. Both of which are why I don't like the fanservice. But you other guys are right, it's not the biggest deal in the world and it's better than censorship.

monocle_layton said:
epicurean said:

So non-human?  It would personally take a lot for that to annoy me, then. But to each their own. Would still like to see an actual picture of what everyone is so up in arms over, though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_Chronicles/comments/7bzyts/seori_a_rare_blade_in_xenoblade_chronicles_2/

No one is going nuts. Once again, 'minor, but annoying' is what I said. 

I don't see the picture there. Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry for the hyperbole.

Edit: N/M I figured it out. Yeah that one doesn't bother me at all. If it bothers others, so be it, everyone has a right to their own opinion. TO me it looks like socks or boots or whatever pulled all the way, but it isn't even attractive to me so I don't pay attention to it.  Maybe if the butt were bigger. (Sorry).

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
This is why I like online forums, different perspectives can make us change our opinions step by step. After reading some of the few reasonable comments from people on the opposite end of the opinion spectrum, I do think that my original comments sound a tad too critical. I mean, I still don't think it fits the game well, but I do agree that i'd rather the designers make their creative vision than be bludgeoned or censored just for having the idea. It's a tough call because I've never had a problem with a game like this before(I'd even usually agree with the more fanservice the better), and even now it's not really a problem just a nitpick criticism.

For me it's all about the quality of the character designs and the context of them. Both of which are why I don't like the fanservice. But you other guys are right, it's not the biggest deal in the world and it's better than censorship.

I'm glad this discussion became rather interesting and diverse. No one taking the SJW bait makes me happy too. No need for that political bullshit.

Kinda neutral on the matter, though personally i don't think minimal clothing results in the best designs. I can get the complaints, though if such a small nitpick is turning you off from the entire game, then i doubt you were interested in getting the game in the first place. (Not saying that's your stance!)

I feel kinda similarly to the whole 'generic art-style' thing, as previous games were hardly original in their artstyle, and the environments especially aren't all too different. Really, i don't think there's a solid definition for a 'generic anime' style, since anime encompasses a lot of things. It's like calling Mickey Mouse a generic cartoon, in my opinion. With this though, i feel that since it's what you'll be looking at, having a different perspective on it will have a much bigger impact, so if you don't like the art-style, i can see it deterring you away from the game.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Around the Network

Rest assured that me and my church group are writing a very sternly worded letter.

b00moscone said:

Kinda neutral on the matter, though personally i don't think minimal clothing results in the best designs. I can get the complaints, though if such a small nitpick is turning you off from the entire game, then i doubt you were interested in getting the game in the first place. (Not saying that's your stance!)

I feel kinda similarly to the whole 'generic art-style' thing, as previous games were hardly original in their artstyle, and the environments especially aren't all too different. Really, i don't think there's a solid definition for a 'generic anime' style, since anime encompasses a lot of things. It's like calling Mickey Mouse a generic cartoon, in my opinion. With this though, i feel that since it's what you'll be looking at, having a different perspective on it will have a much bigger impact, so if you don't like the art-style, i can see it deterring you away from the game.

Yeah, I think anyone stating it's completely turning them off would be an exaggeration. They'd have to go with mandatory nude/lingerie costumes in order to make me skip the game.

My biggest issue with it is that they can make such cool designs without it. Male characters are always buff and hot, but they still have other features to them as well. They don't need to be shirtless or wearing a thong to represent that. 

I think some people misunderstood me, which is sad. I already said it's a minor issue (it's in the title...), and I think there's nothing wrong with pointing out these things. 

monocle_layton said:
b00moscone said:

Yeah, I think anyone stating it's completely turning them off would be an exaggeration. They'd have to go with mandatory nude/lingerie costumes in order to make me skip the game.

My biggest issue with it is that they can make such cool designs without it. Male characters are always buff and hot, but they still have other features to them as well. They don't need to be shirtless or wearing a thong to represent that. 

I think some people misunderstood me, which is sad. I already said it's a minor issue (it's in the title...), and I think there's nothing wrong with pointing out these things. 

I look at it similar to how I looked at the clothing options in Xenoblade (and X).

In those games, there were tons of clothing options. If you wanted a badass armored character, you could do it. If you wanted a nearly naked Shulk, you could do it. If you wanted something frilly and eccentric or cute or whatever, the game gave you the choice. If you don't like your characters to be naked, just put clothes on them.

While this game doesn't seem to have multiple armor sets (which I'm very glad about because inventory management was always the worst part of Xenoblade games), it does give you a ton of blades. If you never want to use Seori, I've seen nothing to suggest you ever have to. On the other hand, if you like her design, then you can use her. There are still a bunch of other really cool designs either way.

I find it difficult to complain about optional things like this because it is all about player choice. 

the annoying thing for me is that the art-style is a mess. Cellshaded shiny characters with "realistic wanna be" environments.

monocle_layton said:
b00moscone said:

I agree that it's a minor annoyance but the problem with male and female characters is that females are generally attracted to cool males and smart makes and competent males unlike males who are attracted to female bodies. There is genetic biological reasoning behind that but that's how it is even the females when they look at each other start booking things down to shallow things so this isn't a male issue. And when males compare each other they also bring it to some shallow stuff but they also do it in terms of skill and abilities so I would say blame humanity as a whole for this issue unless everyone's perception changes to what us minorities think like, this stuff won't change

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also