By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xenoblade 2's minor, but annoying detail

Do you ever get bothered by unnecessary sexualization?

Most of the time 10 17.54%

Only if it's for a chara... 1 1.75%

Depends on context and game 25 43.86%

Never 21 36.84%

Total:57
palou said:
Nem said:

I feel like some people have difficulty separating real life from a game.

I think that that's on the developer, though, and my general issue with this.

I don't mind sexualization in a game, if it's consistent with the context, but in this case, I feel that it really hurts immersion. Like, when I see these models, I immediately remember that it's conceived to please *me*, not a part of the universe that I'm exploring - especially since the behaviour/temperament/ interactions of the characters does not reflect their allure.

That is peculiar, because this kind of thing is common place in anime. The game has a distinct anime look. Wich maybe is the problem, because the last two tried to dabble with a realistic and anime style fusion.

Maybe it's best to think of these blades like Summons from Final Fantasy. I confess i'm not the biggest fan of these underaged characters, but it's not cause of their costumes but rather cause most often than not, they are obnoxious 1 dimensional characters.

I can think of only the little girl from the original Grandia as the exception to that.

I don't know how exactly these things work in Xeno 2, but are these blades even characters in the game with a story line? If not it would make sense that the outfits are a way to try and throw some differentiation between them and why they go overboard with it.

Last edited by Nem - on 12 November 2017

Around the Network
Peh said:
Eh.....are people reducing the quality of the complete game, because of one or some character designs? Judging a book by its cover, huh?

I'm certainly not a fan of echi stuff and fanservices, but this is pretty much harmless.

I'll certainly consider it a reduction in quality, even if it's a miniscule amount. Looking past the looks, the stereotypical nature of said characters and the annoying, one dimensional personalities we've seen as well are issues that stretch beyond subjective opinions of sexualization

Now I get why Nintendo and other companies Censor their games when they localize it... Sighh

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Nem said:
palou said:

I don't know how exactly these things work in Xeno 2, but are these blades even characters in the game with a story line? If not it would make sense that the outfits are a way to try and throw some differentiation between them and why they go overboard with it.

Yes, Pyrrha is a major part of the storyline, with developed character, and frequent interactions. It's almost comical how much the design clashes with any of that.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

palou said:
Nem said:

Yes, Pyrrha is a major part of the storyline, with developed character, and frequent interactions. It's almost comical how much the design clashes with any of that.

Yeah, her i know. Just don't know about the other ones.

I thought the OP was talking about the petite ones. Like this one: https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP

Around the Network

Personally I really don’t mind Pyra and Myrtha’s design. All of them look really interesting. Is it sexuaized? Yea, but I’m not gonna lose sleep on it. It’s ultimately Monolith Soft’s decision on the designs. Besides Saito, whom they hired as the lead character designer, they had Xeno veteran designers develop some of the Blades. If they are all in on it, then so be it. I cannot wait to get the art book from the special edition.

Captain_Yuri said:
Now I get why Nintendo and other companies Censor their games when they localize it... Sighh

To be fair, I don't think the problem, at least for me, is the sexualization.

It just looks fucking stupid.  And it doesn't fit the character.

It kinda reminds me of Soul Calibur. Great series with female characters in relatively skimpy designs (at least in 2-5), with Ivy Valentine, who has a pretty interesting background, being the worst offender. Hell, as much as I love Talim, her design is also pretty skimpy, especially for her age. Still, it didn’t take away from my enjoyment of the series (though haven’t played 5 yet).

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Captain_Yuri said:

To be fair, I don't think the problem, at least for me, is the sexualization.

It just looks fucking stupid.  And it doesn't fit the character.

For me, the context really matters, if it fits in or not.

I actually disliked Rex's design, in its first appearance, due to it sticking out so much - but after they explained the functionality of the thing, it went away. Doesn't have to be realistic. Just, Rex is a weird adventurer/diver-treasure-hunter, so he has a weird adventurer/diver-treasure-hunter suit, and it's perfectly fine that he sticks out like a sore thumb in normal society.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

The anime vibe in general is pretty bad. Lots of cheesy anime cliches.