By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Odyssey totally burried 3D World

mZuzek said:
Nautilus said:

Or just, you know, have both a "regular" 3D Mario game, and a 2D Mario game.No need for one or the other.

I'd rather Nintendo managed to put out 3 on the Switch. An expansive, ambitious 3D game like Odyssey, a classic style 3D game with a focus on multiplayer like 3D World, and Mario Maker as the 2D fix.

What? No legitimate 2D Mario?

No.

No, no, no.

That's a terrible idea.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
StarDoor said:

What? No legitimate 2D Mario?

No. No, no, no.

That's a terrible idea.

Eh... 3D World was a sort of more ambitious version of 2D Mario, I think that's fine enough.

Either way, when I think of Mario Maker being the 2D Mario, I'm thinking about a game that would be a legitimate 2D Mario. Since the level editor is already there, they don't have to focus as much time into that and could make a proper campaign on top of it.

I don't even like the idea of using Mario Maker as the base for a 2D Mario, since that would pretty much guarantee yet another NSMB.

On the other hand, I'd be fine if they actually make a legitimately new style, but I don't think it's likely for them to combine Mario Maker and Super Mario Bros. 5 into one game when they could release them separately with little to no repercussion.

killeryoshis said:
I wouldn't call Super Mario Galaxy 2 a real 3D Mario game since it follows a linear level design. I say the last sandbox open world 3D Mario game Sunshine.

Anyway I agree. 3D world looked lame and played lame It was a sequel to a not very good 3D Mario game which hurt it even more. I felt the game was lacking any sort of passion that the the Galaxy games had. Odyssey is the complete opposite. Not only does it have some real passion behind it but it also is a sandbox Mario game which is something that needed to return.

Odyssey definitely feels WAY more like Galaxy 2 than Sunshine. It’s closest to Mario 64 meets Galaxy 2. Sunshine is the game least like Odyssey in the entire 3D franchise. Galaxy 2 isn’t much more linear than Odyssey is, they both involve unlocking new worlds by acquiring certain amounts of currency to power your ship to go forward. Both allow users to select which worlds they want to go to to unlock that currency. The difference is, within the levels, Galaxy multiple big goals to collect the currency and move through the story, while Odyssey lacks those big goals, and instead has the player collecting the currency around the level in a more similar fashion to special coins on some steroids. Lastly both have highly inspired level design - in this area, you can say Sunshine is more like 3D Land/World, since the design was slow, repetitive, and not very inspired.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Agreed.

Odyssey is everything 3D World should have been; imaginative, ambitious, epic.

3D World was a very polished game, but it was also quite uninspired, and didn't live up to the pedigree of games like Galaxy and 64.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 November 2017

Nautilus said:
spemanig said:
I'd rather 3D world as it's more franchise authentic. If you want freedom, play Zelda.

Or just, you know, have both a "regular" 3D Mario game, and a 2D Mario game.No need for one or the other.

3D World isn't 2D Mario, buddy.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Nautilus said:

I'd rather Nintendo managed to put out 3 on the Switch. An expansive, ambitious 3D game like Odyssey, a classic style 3D game with a focus on multiplayer like 3D World, and Mario Maker as the 2D fix.

I'm getting a Discord soon btw, so when I get it I'll PM you.

Snesboy said:
Mbolibombo said:

You are missing out!

It's a fantastic game.

I'll try it out tonight then! May as well play something I own right?

Also, love your avatar.

Post your impressions. I'd love to hear them!

mZuzek said:
Nautilus said:

Completely agree, this way everyone is happy.

I would also like that Mario Maker 2 is not only an ambitious multiplayer game, but also an ambitious single player game.The multiplayer part is simple - Get what has been done in the first game and simply imrpove upon it.For the single player part, make a complete 2D Mario adventure, but with Odyssey in mind as in trying to reimagine or bring back the glorious old days, like Super Mario World.Use a new art style, a new mechanic if you need to, and dont be stuck with the traditional ifd there is a better option.Do that, and we may get the best 2D Mario ever.At least thats how I see it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Lucas-Rio said:

Finally, seven years after Mario Galaxy 2 was released, we finally got a real Mario 3D platformer.

Odyssey is everything 3D World wasn't.

- Big world with a lot of freedom vs tiny , small worlds  ultra basics limited by a stupid timer

You do realize that Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy 1 + 2 mostly had a bunch of "tiny/small world" levels, right?

Also, Mario having a timer has been classic Mario since SMB1. The only Mario games that haven't had a regular timer were 64/Sunshine/Galaxy. 3D Land and 3D World were obviously supposed to be hybrids of Super Mario Bros. and 3D Mario game design.

Plus, while it wasn't perfect, 3D World's throwback to Mario 2 (while it should have gone even further, with Wart as the boss, just put the game in Subcon, etc.), with the cherry power, throwing items, the 4 playable characters, etc., was a very nice touch. And the game was a lot of fun.

And frankly, the cat suit was one of the best power-ups Nintendo has come up with in any of the 3D games. Certainly more fun than any of the new power ups in Galaxy.

I don't doubt that Odyssey is probably really great, and it certainly seems very ambitious. But there is no need at all to shit on 3D World, which was a unique and very good Mario game in its own right.

RolStoppable said:
I remember the OP. He has been against Super Mario 3D World from the get-go and used any chance to bash it, so it isn't a surprise that this thread exists.

The main problem with this thread is that it ignores that all of Nintendo's games failed to prevent the Wii U from failure status, so the real issue was the Wii U hardware itself. On the other hand we have Switch which represents the opposite, lifting sales of all software. This means that if Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Odyssey were swapped in terms of the console they released on, SM3DW would handily outsell SMO.

Another issue that is typical in such a comparison is the use of the word 'ambition' which to most people really only means 'open world' and therefore a game where you can run around without having to worry about dying. Hence why the OP criticizes the time limit in SM3DW despite how lax it is. Hence why SM3DW is described as dumbed down when it's really SMO that is for the most part a dumbed down 3D platformer in the mold of Donkey Kong 64.

Holy shit, glad someone said it ...