By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Odyssey totally burried 3D World

spemanig said:
Nautilus said:

Or just, you know, have both a "regular" 3D Mario game, and a 2D Mario game.No need for one or the other.

3D World isn't 2D Mario, buddy.

Thank god it isnt.

Anyways, no need to have one over the other like Zuzek said.Nintendo can pretty much do the three types, though obviously some types will have the preference and priority over the other.That way we all get happy, buddy.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Why is the goal being to reach the flag a bad thing?

RolStoppable said:
I remember the OP. He has been against Super Mario 3D World from the get-go and used any chance to bash it, so it isn't a surprise that this thread exists.

The main problem with this thread is that it ignores that all of Nintendo's games failed to prevent the Wii U from failure status, so the real issue was the Wii U hardware itself. On the other hand we have Switch which represents the opposite, lifting sales of all software. This means that if Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Odyssey were swapped in terms of the console they released on, SM3DW would handily outsell SMO.

Another issue that is typical in such a comparison is the use of the word 'ambition' which to most people really only means 'open world' and therefore a game where you can run around without having to worry about dying. Hence why the OP criticizes the time limit in SM3DW despite how lax it is. Hence why SM3DW is described as dumbed down when it's really SMO that is for the most part a dumbed down 3D platformer in the mold of Donkey Kong 64.

What is your definition of ambition? Would you say the Galaxy games are as ambitious are 3D World?

Because those introduced a lot of new ideas, worlds and mechanics, and heavily pushed their respective console in sound and visual design. 3D World can not in any way boast of that, despite being just as linear as the second Galaxy game.

spemanig said:
I'd rather 3D world as it's more franchise authentic. If you want freedom, play Zelda.

Freedom in Mario would be pretty cool if you had cool things to do, though. 

Breath of the Wild was an "imaginary" playground, so much of the game is interpreting your own enjoyment which is why some people don't like it.

But Odyssey is freedom with a cap on it, so it needs to have better linearized objectives. It does have some good ones, but they could use improvements. 

I honestly think 3D World belongs in the top tier of Mario games. It's easily the best of the multiplayer-focused Mario games.

(Odyssey belongs in that top tier, too.)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Agreed.

Odyssey is everything 3D World should have been; creative, ambitious, epic.

3D World was a very polished game, but it was also quite uninspired, and didn't live up to the pedigree of games like Galaxy and 64.

3D World felt like Nintendo's attempt to create a 3D Mario game with the wider reaching appeal of a 2D Mario game.  It's one of those games people would have loved a lot more as a supplement to a traditional 3D Mario game.

wombat123 said:
curl-6 said:

Agreed.

Odyssey is everything 3D World should have been; creative, ambitious, epic.

3D World was a very polished game, but it was also quite uninspired, and didn't live up to the pedigree of games like Galaxy and 64.

3D World felt like Nintendo's attempt to create a 3D Mario game with the wider reaching appeal of a 2D Mario game.  

Nintendo did that with Super Mario Galaxy too 

I really liked Mario 3D World. Sure, Odyssey is an excellent game, but that doesn't mean 3D World should be put down so much. They're both very fun, and 3D World has the perk of having local MP. I played this with my buddies a few times and each session would quickly turn into a fight to see who can keep the crown to the end xD It's definitely a type of game I was hoping for a long time.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Totally different games.  I LOVED 3D world, played countless hours with my daughter's.  It's a multiplayer games, and Odyssey is a single player gem.  Both great.

I think I might prefer 3D World to Odyssey. When I played 3D World I got the same feeling of joy that I'd previously got from Mario 64 and Mario 3 long ago. Odyssey is great but it feels more like Sunshine or Galaxy to me, a great game but its just a step down from the best.

In fact after beating Bowser I havent even felt like going back to Odyssey. I need a break before I go back over every level finding every crack and crevice that they stuffed a moon into, not to mention the thought of grinding all those coins to buy moons from the shop and all the costumes. I'm a big fan of collect em ups but this feels like more than DK64. Admittedly 3D World suffers from end game repetition too by having you complete every level with 5 characters so maybe I'll warm up to Odyssey yet, its just going to take a while.