By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Odyssey totally burried 3D World

It's quite the opposite for me.

Although i've only played 5-6 worlds, the game so far feels dissapointing.
It's not what i expected it to be, and clearly not what i expected from Nintendo:

The 5-6 worlds i've played have just been full - like 90% of the time - with bland, uninspired locales. Only twice have i really felt amazed at what i saw.
That's a feeling i had while playing Mario 3D World... twice.

Personally, i think Mario could be controlled better (too movement sensitive); the water mechanic is just... weird. I still think Mario 64 controls way better.
The music has been a miss - again, clearly unlike Mario 3D World (had beautiful tunes!).

The possession mechanic is cool, but i think Mario 3D World did it better. Not the same thing, i know (considering the costumes), but it felt better.

One last thing - and remember that i haven't played the whole thing: the game is - and looks to be, as a whole - easy.
I have to pay to get a moon? I have a light showing me where stuff is - or a rumble for that matter?
The mini-bosses are too easy, aswell.

Yes, it might be a challenge to find the moons, but it rather have a DK like challenge, than something that i could look up online.

Mario Odyssey is clearly better in some parts, but as a whole, Mario 3D World wins.

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:
What's wrong with enjoying two incredibly different styles of Mario? 3d world is still an enjoyable game

This. Although Odyssey is vastly superior, 3D World is still a superb game in its own right.

I dunno, I really enjoyed 3D World (as well as 3D Land) and hope Nintendo makes another game with that type of gameplay style.

Odyssey is a great game. But, that doesn't mean 3D world sucked. I liked it a lot.

3D world was really fun for multiplayer.

But yes, Odyssey is the game we've all been really waiting for all this time

(Formerly RCTjunkie)

Around the Network
Lucas-Rio said: 

- A big game filled with content, ton of secrets, asking for the use of all abilities, mini games and exploration vs a dumbed down platformer where the only goal is to reach the flag.

I agree that Odyssey is superior but you're being unfair to 3D World, especially with this point. In 3DWorld, there's a lot more than reaching the flag, you have stars to collect, stamps to find, you also have mini-games (Captain Toad), the powers are useful and fun. 

Signature goes here!

Yes, Mario Odyssey is far superior, but lets not exagerate, 3D World was an excellent game.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I'd rather 3D world as it's more franchise authentic. If you want freedom, play Zelda.

spemanig said:
I'd rather 3D world as it's more franchise authentic. If you want freedom, play Zelda.

Or just, you know, have both a "regular" 3D Mario game, and a 2D Mario game.No need for one or the other.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

3D World is a really amazing game, no need to downgrade it because Odyssey is (possibly) better

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^